2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Story right now is that the ownership and front office want to draft Trubisky at #1 while the coaches want Garrett.  It sounds as though they're trying to move up from the 12th pick to be able to get both.  In my opinion they're better off taking a couple of mid-round QBs that might turn out to be adequate, rather than blowing a high pick on Trubisky who might turn out to be adequate.  The way this draft is laid out, the Browns have the opportunity to put together a truly fearsome defense that can keep them in games, and would be better served by doing that than adding more names to The Jersey.

I already said Trubisky at #1. Why put together a fearsome defense, when you can get a possibly slightly better than mediocre QB.   :winkgrin: 

In any case, if teams were to theoretically be logical, then you could probably still get Trubisky at #12.

And how does Mel Kiper feel about Trubisky anyway.  If he is high on Trubisky than we know for sure the guy will be a scrub.

I already said Trubisky at #1. Why put together a fearsome defense, when you can get a possibly slightly better than mediocre QB.   :winkgrin:

If they coach the guy right, they've already got a potentially slightly better than mediocre QB in Brock Osweiler. If his time in Houston didn't make him a complete headcase, he could still turn out to be serviceable. Theoretically.

But yeah, everything I've read says Garrett is the guy at #1. So they'll probably pick Trubisky instead.

I read an article suggesting that the Browns might trade their #12 pick, a third-round pick this year, and an unspecified pick next year to San Francisco to move up to #2.

So the first two picks could both go to Cleveland!

Wrap your minds around that for a minute, will ya? 

I read an article suggesting that the Browns might trade their #12 pick, a third-round pick this year, and an unspecified pick next year to San Francisco to move up to #2.

So ... I would expect them to try to draft both "Tastes Great" and "Less Filling".

Trubisky certainly isn't worth all that.

Sadly, the Browns might turn out to be less dysfunctional than the 49ers, Jets, Bears, or Jags, all of whom draft ahead of the Browns' number 12 pick.

You gotta point the 49ers do seem they may have zoomed to #1 in dysfunctionality recently.  (and jax was for a long time The go to in it, before Cleveland quit trying and decided to embrace it). I'd rate Jets and Bears as better though, but not by much breathing room.

The Texans traded Brock Osweiler, 2 1st round picks (#25 this year and 2018's pick) 1 2nd Round pick (2018) and a 6th for #12 this year and 1 4th rounder next year.

2 trades and the Browns look like...they've won. I guess if Deshaun turns out to be the second coming of...um...dang who? 

Worked out well for DeShaun Watson, who instantly replaces Tom Savage on a team with elite receiving, line, and defensive talent.  The Texans' dealing of picks makes a little more sense if they are deliberately mortgaging the future for present-day success, but I don't know if Watson is that good.

Raiders don't pick until 24... it's almost incomprehensible.

Reading ESPN's coverage of the draft is...weird. It's like they don't read what they write.

The spend the first part of their article talking about how the QB class is weak and that all the teams that traded up got robbed because there's little chance the available QB's have value equal to the picks given up.

Then they immediately called the Browns draft foolish for not taking a top tier QB.

Which there weren't.

I know the browns have their reputation to uphold but that's a pretty weak stretch to say they're still a shambles of a franchise.

*cough*Niners*cough*

Reading ESPN's coverage of the draft is...weird. It's like they don't read what they write.

The spend the first part of their article talking about how the QB class is weak and that all the teams that traded up got robbed because there's little chance the available QB's have value equal to the picks given up.

Then they immediately called the Browns draft foolish for not taking a top tier QB.

Which there weren't.

I know the browns have their reputation to uphold but that's a pretty weak stretch to say they're still a shambles of a franchise.

*cough*Niners*cough*

IN other words they wanted to say "Browns don't take a QB......but take a QB"

Anyhow, my impression with Tribusky is that he has great potential, if you let him learn 1 preferably 2 years on the bench, but the Bears will likely get the idea to throw him out there on Day 1, where he will be unprepared and will get demolished to never be heard from again.