2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

The Broncos just dropped 42 points on Dallas, including a 103-yard pick-six with less than a minute left. Trevor Siemian threw four touchdowns, while Ezekiel "What Six-Game Suspension?" Elliott had nine rushes for 8 yards.

I did not see that coming.

I admit, I never thought much of Phil Simms. To my mind, he got that job only because he'd played for the Giants so the New York execs knew who he was. It was one of those things that affirmed my conviction that all that matters to networks and league was the big East Coast market.

I stopped reading the article when the writer mentioned the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams are in Saint Louis. So either this article is old or the reporter didn't bother to do any fact checking. If the latter is the case, I can't trust him. He probably made up the whole thing. Who knows what other crazy things he might say. I bet he thinks the Chargers are in L.A. too.

Indeed. From the article:

Now, at some point El Pollo is going to have to decide just how far it wants to carry this promotion. The Chargers face the Chiefs this week, and draw the Raiders, Broncos and Patriots over the next six weeks prior to their bye.

They may be broke by Thanksgiving.

The closest thing to that I remember in particular was the season when Seattle Mariners catcher Dave Valle went through a hellacious batting slump, and a near-stadium bar started selling well drinks for his batting average (in the sense hitting .200 meant drink cost = $2.00). His average bottomed out at .109, IIRC.

Well, one of the reasons was that St Louis offered the money to she-goat (Georgia Frontiere, Carrol Rosenbloom's widow; she inherited the Rams when the football man died, couldn't establish a competent football front office to the team so it withered to crap, and then moved it to her old home town when they waved money at her).

As for the other team, Al Davis was the owner and ... well, he's a body of work all to himself.

It's been commented about Seattle (and I suspect that there's some part of it true of L.A. too): the people here are jaded. If you're in the entertainment business here, you cannot just throw a crap product out there and expect to make money. There's too much other stuff to do, and everyone knows it. There'll be a loyal following, but some indication of competence and actually trying is needed to hold the attention of a real fanbase.

When Ken Behring owned the Seahawks back in the late 80s to late 90s, he made no secret of wanting to move the team to L.A., and team sank into mediocrity for the time, and attendance suffered. It wasn't clear he would make as much money if he moved the team; he was infatuated with Al Davis and the Raiders and liked to think (emphasis: liked to think) he was as football smart as Davis in his prime, which he clearly was not, being just another property developer and ripoff artist. It didn't happen, the rich moron got tired of his shiny toy, and eventually sold it to local Paul Allen.

I suspect the Los Angeles area is used to thinking of franchise owners as opportunists looking to turn their area into a cash cow. As every deity in the pantheon knows, just about every sleazebag opportunist in the country has tried it. Signs of being something other than a sleazebag opportunist is likely to be necessary to convince people that ... well, you're not just a sleazebag opportunist. Trouble is, the sleazebag opportunists are in power now, and sleazebags never think they have be anything real. That's what makes them sleazebags. So the will never put up a decent product, let alone a superior one.

And if the customer base is already jaded, the reaction isn't going to be very receptive.

Meanwhile, an autopsy has determined that Aaron Hernandez had level 3 CTE (on a 1-4 scale).

I always thought his problem was moral capacity -- the ability to recognize that his actions have consequences and that other people's lives are valuable. At least in theory, playing a team sport would enhance those concepts as you all place your individual talents and abilities into a shared cause. It would be interesting to find out what went wrong and how players in sports like football became such narcissists.