2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Yeah, Rams. They got rid of Fisher and his perpetual mediocrity, and so far Gurley and their defense have done better than hoped. Since Seattle shows no signs of having their offensive line woes under control yet, and you cannot judge their RB combos when they are all getting their first hit before they reach the line of scrimmage, right now (after Carson was KIA yesterday) it's a coin toss between Seattle and the Rams for that division. The next significant injury will probably tip it.

It's sad to see that Fisher does seem to be what was holding them back. One has to wonder if they would still be in St. Louis with a decent coach.

By the way, for those that didn't see it, the Browns lost in the most Browns way possible yesterday. In overtime, they attempted to ice the kicker (a tactic that really needs to die) and called time out at the last second. The kicker missed. But since the Browns called time out, he got a second chance and made it. Damn, Browns. I mean... damn. For the record, I was rooting for the Browns in this one. I take no pleasure in their unbelievable loss, but I can't help but laugh at the way it happened.

Not sure that beating up on an Indy team with no Andrew Luck is something to be all that proud of, but whatever floats your boat.

This is just an ugly season for so many teams.

Arizona: Lost David Johnson and Carson Palmer.

Minnesöta: Lost Sam Bradford and Dalvin Cook.

Miami: Lost two quarterbacks (so far).

Indy: Luckless.

GB: Rodgersless.

Carolina: Pretty good team on paper, but...

Baltimore: Pretty good team on paper, but...

Atlanta: Pretty good team on paper, but...

Raiders: Gotta raid.

Browns, 49ers, both New Jersey teams, Bills: Annual race to the bottom.

Seriously, what teams are actually exceeding expectations this year?  Houston, and... maybe the Rams?

Rams. Houston, Eagles?

It's sad to see that Fisher does seem to be what was holding them back. One has to wonder if they would still be in St. Louis with a decent coach.

By the way, for those that didn't see it, the Browns lost in the most Browns way possible yesterday. In overtime, they attempted to ice the kicker (a tactic that really needs to die) and called time out at the last second. The kicker missed. But since the Browns called time out, he got a second chance and made it. Damn, Browns. I mean... damn. For the record, I was rooting for the Browns in this one. I take no pleasure in their unbelievable loss, but I can't help but laugh at the way it happened.

It's kind of sad how that franchise destroys the city.

I have to remind Carol that her other two Cleveland teams were in the finals last year. 

I have to remind Carol that her other two Cleveland teams were in the finals last year. 

Must you be so cruel?

I'm not sure what hurts worse -- having your team be so laughably inept that everyone points their fingers at you and laughs derisively while making chortling noises, or having your team get tantalyzingly close to the absolute pinnacle only to have the opponent rip your heart out at the last possible moment and stomp it flat before your very eyes.

I'm not sure what hurts worse -- having your team be so laughably inept that everyone points their fingers at you and laughs derisively while making chortling noises, or having your team get tantalyzingly close to the absolute pinnacle only to have the opponent rip your heart out at the last possible moment and stomp it flat before your very eyes.

As a sort-of Raiders fan, I point and laugh derisively at the Raiders and expect them to fail at the last possible moment. That's why it's incredible when they actually succeed. Look at this past Thursday's game--Beast Mode got himself ejected and the game ended with three consecutive penalties after the end of regulation. They needed like a half dozen throws at the endzone to pull out the win. That's Raiders® football right there.

Speaking of bad football, the Vikings play at Twickenham on Sunday. Any NGDers going? It's the Browns so it won't exactly be an NFL game, but still. ;)

Not sure that beating up on an Indy team with no Andrew Luck is something to be all that proud of, but whatever floats your boat.

This is just an ugly season for so many teams.

Arizona: Lost David Johnson and Carson Palmer.

Minnesöta: Lost Sam Bradford and Dalvin Cook.

Miami: Lost two quarterbacks (so far).

Indy: Luckless.

GB: Rodgersless.

Carolina: Pretty good team on paper, but...

Baltimore: Pretty good team on paper, but...

Atlanta: Pretty good team on paper, but...

Raiders: Gotta raid.

Browns, 49ers, both New Jersey teams, Bills: Annual race to the bottom.

Seriously, what teams are actually exceeding expectations this year?  Houston, and... maybe the Rams?

Well, the Browns are on about the pace we expected of them.

Must you be so cruel?

Well, we had to have the Cubs curse end first, it had to be that way, for Cub fansanity. 

I do think the Indians are the only original 16 team that hasn't won since expansion started in 1961.  (of the other 15, I believe the Pirates in 1979 is second longest, of course since the Rangers are the oldest expansion team to not win it-birth in 1961, they are 2nd longest.  And Houston at 3rd longest-birth in 1962, have a chance to end theirs)

The Cavs won one, so no pity there.

Note: Other expansion team not to have won and came into existence before the Pirates win in 1979:  Padres, Nationals/Expos, Brewers in 1969, Seattle Mariners in 1977

I'm not going to say anything more myself, because it would put me in an awkward position re Moderation, but can someone suggest anything -- anything at all -- the NFL can do to persuade me to come back after that epic display of racial jackassery Bob McNair (owner of the Houston Texans) just pulled?

I'm a sportsgamer. I watched Bradshaw and Staubach duel growing up. I was there for Joe Montana, for the '85 Bears, I rooted for the Seahawks through mediocrity to the heights and finally the title. I used to love football.

But not now. Not after this. After what Bob McNair just said, the league will have to do one heck of a lot to win me back. And it doesn;t sound like they care.

Fine with me. I'm done.

Ha, the cop who's a parent in our kids' scout troop is also boycotting the league this year, because the players are kneeling to protest his (coworkers'?) brutality.

From what I read, one of the guys on the players' side is Mephistopheles Roger Goodell.  Just to muddy things further for the rest of us.

edit: Added link for background.

Ha, the cop who's a parent in our kids' scout troop is also boycotting the league this year, because the players are kneeling to protest his (coworkers'?) brutality.

From what I read, one of the guys on the players' side is Mephistopheles Roger Goodell.  Just to muddy things further for the rest of us.

edit: Added link for background.

Yeah, and I don't watch anymore, largely because of the protests.  I decided entertainers who have so little respect to give, weren't worthy of my time. (I've covered how I feel multiple times and promised I wouldn't again so I wont). 

But, it is probably fitting that a league, so intent on straddling the fence, has gotten splinters up their ass.

I remember when the Denver Broncos fired coach Dan Reeves back in the day. The perception was that the franchise valued their quarterback, John Elway, more than their coach. Mike Ditka even went so far as to say that the "inmates [were] running the asylum" in Denver. I don't remember it being that big a deal at the time.

However, in a league where the majority of players are African Americans, and in a nation where African Americans are incarcerated at significantly higher rates than other racial and ethnic groups, and especially in a situation where the issue is already highly racially charged, an "inmates running the prison" metaphor is just about the dumbest thing you could say as a league executive.