2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

Surgeons reportedly trying to save Zach Miller's leg after gruesome knee injury

I wish I could unsee that clip. Nobody should ever have to deal with an injury like that.  :no:

I think I put a link to an old article about it in the NBA thread (in reference to Gordon Hayward).  But, a minor league baseball game in the 1990s (that my dad and me left before the end) ended with a Yankees prospect snapping an ankle at the play at 1B.  It was fairly similar to Hayward's injury, for a brief time they were worried about amputation of his foot because the blood flow got cut off or something.  He actually did briefly make the majors, but he did forever lose what speed he had  (and I think he went from outfielder, to first baseman in position after the injury)

On 10/30/2017 at 10:07 PM, Starlord said:

Yeah, Garopollo to 49ers for 2nd rounder is the most interesting.  Strangely, Tom Brady is currently the only QB on Patriots roster or practice squad.

But it is also inexplicable:

... But I’m just a nobody on the internet, maybe there is some master plan that John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan are cooking up. What happens when it all goes according to plan?

Garappolo has eight games left on his contract.

8. Games.

If he is the second coming of Tom Brady and wins the remaining games for SF, they end up with an 8-8 record, which is too bad to make the playoffs and too good to get premium draft position. And then SF has to decide whether to give him a new contract or let him walk and recoup a compensatory pick. The highest possible comp pick is the third round, so SF loses at least one round of value if they let him walk. And if they pay him, they lose all the surplus value that a young good QB on a rookie contract provides. If he is the second coming of Brady, that is probably a good deal. If he is like every any other Brady backup from the last decade or even like the vast majority of second round QBs since 2001, a franchise QB deal or even a Mike Glennon-esque deal ($15 million a year for three years) would be borderline disastrous.

And the kicker is that Garappolo would have been available a few months from now. A modicum of patience would enable them to keep their second round pick. What is the benefit of spending four years of a cost-controlled player for eight games of a backup QB?

John Lynch may have the answer. But I doubt it.