2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

That ... seems to be the GM, John Schneider, the GM, with significant input from head coach Pete Carroll, but it's unclear how much say any of the other coaches have in the drafts or other acquisitions.  Schneider has definite "tastes" in the type of personnel he selects (for instance, he's never drafted an OL who hadn't been at least a 2-year starter in college), and the defensive personnel he picks all fulfill an interesting set of physical attributes.

AFAICT, Carroll is not a particularly cerebral coach.  This year the Seahawks did not do a good job of in-game strategy adjustments, which seems to be something that comes from the assistant coaches.  But the team's shortcomings definitely seem to spring from a lack of solid personnel (which comes both from acquisitions and gets affected by injuries).

Bevell has coached a couple of remarkable QBs in his career: Favre (both at Green Bay and Minnesota) and of course Russell Wilson.  Could be that he is best as a QB coach.

EDIT (an hour later): It seems they're firing their defensive coordinator, Kris Richard, also.  Given that injuries to all-pro guys (Chancellor, Sherman, Avril) seem to have had a predictable effect on the defense that coaching can't really overcome, it's not clear to me what's up with that.

That ... seems to be the GM, John Schneider, the GM, with significant input from head coach Pete Carroll, but it's unclear how much say any of the other coaches have in the drafts or other acquisitions.  Schneider has definite "tastes" in the type of personnel he selects (for instance, he's never drafted an OL who hadn't been at least a 2-year starter in college), and the defensive personnel he picks all fulfill an interesting set of physical attributes.

AFAICT, Carroll is not a particularly cerebral coach.  This year the Seahawks did not do a good job of in-game strategy adjustments, which seems to be something that comes from the assistant coaches.  But the team's shortcomings definitely seem to spring from a lack of solid personnel (which comes both from acquisitions and gets affected by injuries).

Bevell has coached a couple of remarkable QBs in his career: Favre (both at Green Bay and Minnesota) and of course Russell Wilson.  Could be that he is best as a QB coach.

EDIT (an hour later): It seems they're firing their defensive coordinator, Kris Richard, also.  Given that injuries to all-pro guys (Chancellor, Sherman, Avril) seem to have had a predictable effect on the defense that coaching can't really overcome, it's not clear to me what's up with that.

Coaching changes don't always make sense, I believe I mentioned on the MLB thread remembering as a kid one team was near the top in hitting in JUne, near the bottom in pitching, to rectify that they fired their................hitting coach.

Oh for F's Sake. We hired Norv Turner?!

Oh well we've hired most of his family...Son, brother, nephew...(Two were already part of the coaching staff) 

Well an antiquated former HC who couldn't win the big games in San Diego is exactly who we need to get us over the hump in Carolina.

Dammit.

Have to say I was surprised the Eagles managed to hold off the Falcons today.  Atlanta really seemed to be peaking at the right time, while the difference between Wentz and Foles is major.

Titans-Pats was not surprising, of course.  I sort of wish that the Titans hadn't beat the Chiefs, as then a coaching housecleaning might have taken place.  Mularkey and Robiskie are literally laughingstocks for their "stone age" playbook and hopelessly conservative offense.