2017-18 NFL Thread

Pariah

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I wonder if that will come up in the next CBA.

Hopefully Thursday Night Football will come up as well. Fox have invested half a billion dollars into it, so it'll be around for a while -- to the detriment of players, because three days is simply not enough time to recuperate from one NFL game and prepare for the next.

There are a lot of examples this last season of the NFL screwing the players. I'm beginning to think that owners view themselves as superior beings and that the players don't matter. A strike or lockout in 202 is a virtual certainty unless the owners cane somehow break the union.

This is why guys with million-dollar contracts need a union. They'll be treated like garbage without one.

If I were the King of the NFLPA, I'd insist on a bye week before a Thursday night game.  That's what they do in the PAC-12, and it works just fine. No reason (aside from $$$) not to implement it at the NFL level.

In other news, I read the other day that the NFLPA is already encouraging players to start saving their money now in the event of a lengthy strike/lockout in 2021.  

NFLPA executive director on the next CBA negotiations: 'We prepare for war'

There's a simple solution to the Thursday night games and it has been suggested by several media writers. Just have the teams play Thursday night games after their bye weeks. That way both teams are rested and  there's no unfair travel edge.  The players may gripe about their bye weeks being cut short by a day or two for practice but they make it up because they get an extra  two days before the next game.  

The franchise tag is a mixed bag. The first year favors the owners but the second year and beyond swings heavily to the players. Cousins got paid something like  24 million this year and the third year tag was 34 million. I wouldn't pay anyone but Brady, Brees and Rogers even the second tag and feel I got my money's worth and it's worth noting that no one in the league has ever gotten the third tag. 

Edited by Grailknight
Ninja'd by Pariah

Whatever happens on Sunday, the New England Patriots will tie an NFL record.

If they win, they'll tie the Pittsburgh Steelers with the most Super Bowl wins (six).

If they lose, they'll tie the Denver Broncos for the most Super Bowl losses (five).

I think most Broncos fans would be okay with sharing that record with the Pats.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

There are a lot of examples this last season of the NFL screwing the players. I'm beginning to think that owners view themselves as superior beings and that the players don't matter. A strike or lockout in 202 is a virtual certainty unless the owners cane somehow break the union.

If the NFL disintegrated over a labor dispute, the only owner I'd feel any sympathy for is the stockholders of Green Bay Packers, Inc.  For all the others ... well, let's just say I think the Romanovs got off waaaaayyyy too easy back in 1917-18, and the NFL league office and ownership are the same sort of despots as the Czars were.

12 hours ago, Grailknight said:

There's a simple solution to the Thursday night games and it has been suggested by several media writers. Just have the teams play Thursday night games after their bye weeks. That way both teams are rested and  there's no unfair travel edge.  The players may gripe about their bye weeks being cut short by a day or two for practice but they make it up because they get an extra  two days before the next game.  

The franchise tag is a mixed bag. The first year favors the owners but the second year and beyond swings heavily to the players. Cousins got paid something like  24 million this year and the third year tag was 34 million. I wouldn't pay anyone but Brady, Brees and Rogers even the second tag and feel I got my money's worth and it's worth noting that no one in the league has ever gotten the third tag. 

Yeah, that is true, but there is something to be said to be able to go to somewhere you are actually wanted.  (My impression from what I hear about is they franchised him more so they wouldn't have to look for a replacement while in an unfavorable position.  Watching it over the years, I believe Cousins has been in Gruden doghouse since his first year as coach during the Griffin-Cousins-McCoy carousel year.  That year, he always to hold a much more tighter leash on Cousins than the other 2**)

**I think since about the time Cousins had that catastrophic 3rd quarter against the Giants when he was passed out Ints like candy.  It was like Gruden never forgave him for that, no matter what Cousins would accomplish.   Yeah, I know these things can be read into.    But, over the years even when Gruden praises Cousins (rarely) he cant help but take some passive-aggressive dig at him.   Which could be just how he is as a coach.  So, miles may vary.   But, it does come off as being a jackass*

Note: Of course, considering a football coach a jackass seems to be some weird badge of honor for the bulk of them.  :angel:

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, Cancer said:

No, there's always an "open" date kinda between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.  The Pro Bowl happens then, but that's not a real game.

Yeah, my dad and me actually broke down and watched a quarter or so of the Pro Bowl.  First time me watching football this season, first time either of us has watched a Pro Bowl moment in a decade and a half.

My dad on the tackling: What the hell is that?  

My dad on the 2 weeks between conference championships and the Super Bowl: The most boring and irritating 2 weeks of football coverage.

12 hours ago, Cancer said:

If the NFL disintegrated over a labor dispute, the only owner I'd feel any sympathy for is the stockholders of Green Bay Packers, Inc.  For all the others ... well, let's just say I think the Romanovs got off waaaaayyyy too easy back in 1917-18, and the NFL league office and ownership are the same sort of despots as the Czars were.

What you have against the Romanovs to compare them to such scum and villainy as the NFL owners.  :rofl:

On 2/2/2018 at 9:05 AM, Cancer said:

The taxpayers of LA and Vegas would not be pleased either -- they are in the process of building really costly, "state of the art" stadiums with billion-dollar price tags. Having them sit empty would be problematic at best. They can probably make some money as concert venues, but both La and Vegas have a plethora of those.

22 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, my dad and me actually broke down and watched a quarter or so of the Pro Bowl.  First time me watching football this season, first time either of us has watched a Pro Bowl moment in a decade and a half.

My dad on the tackling: What the hell is that?  

My dad on the 2 weeks between conference championships and the Super Bowl: The most boring and irritating 2 weeks of football coverage.

Tackling the right way is such a difficult thing to teach with the emphasis on big, spectacular hits that it may soon be a lost art. The object is to take a opponent to the ground, not send him to the hospital!

But everyone wants to see the big hit that jars the ball (and the teeth) loose.

Conversely, as much as I would love to see the New England Patriots join the Denver Broncos as the only teams to lose 5 Super Bowls, I think New England will probably win, and Tom Brady will get another ring.

But I've been wrong before.

Why Do People Hate Tom Brady So Much?

I know that as a Philadelphia Eagles fan, I have no cause to hate, mock or chide Brady.  For many years the Eagles had Michael Vick as their quarterback--and if letting the air out of a few footballs is an act of evil, then what does that make torturing and mutilating animals, and training them to kill each other?

As A Hobby?

If any other team were playing against the Patriots this year, I would very likely root for Brady and his team--especially since the other team would have had to beat the Eagles to get to the game, and I can be as spiteful as the next fan.  But that didn't happen.  Nobody beat the Eagles in the post-season.  This year Eagles fans have a team that can win, and quarterbacks of whom we can be proud.  And yes, they have a great challenge ahead of them, facing one of the best teams in football and (arguably) the best quarterback to ever play the game.  But challenges are made to be overcome, and this is the team to do that.

My Eagles are in Super Bowl LII.  And I'll be rooting for them every second of the game.  I hope you'll join me in cheering them on to the glorious victory they so richly deserve.

GO EAGLES!  FLY HIGH!  SCORE BIG!  BRING THE LOMBARDI TROPHY HOME!