Babylon 5 Hero

Aroooo

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking over some of the free samples of the B5 D20 book, I'd say it would be worth getting as a resource for use with the Hero System.

Get free samples here...http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/babylon5/

Very much enjoy (and appreciate) your work so far...

Aroooo,

As always, excellent work. I do have a question though. Are the Sample Character write-ups typical of the player characters or are they intended as interesting NPCs? If your PC point base is different, it would be nice to see a Sample PC write-up. Anyway, your site has continued to be an inspiration.

Characters

The samle characters are 100 points plus 100 points in disads; 200 points total. Plus some 'experience.' I guess the real answer to your question is they are intended as interesting or prominent NPCs (in our games anyway). I won't disclose villan info yet :) Our PCs are 125+125 points.

I plan to do some sample characters at some point that will be based on 75+75 to give folks (especially those new to heroic level games) some ideas on what you can to with 150 points in the Hero system.

I will ask my group if they wouldn't mind me posting their character writeups.

Aroooo

Arooo - Great, as always. Almost done with second Season (will finish it tomorrow), but...

Should the Narn have the PhysLim "lack of psionics". This is a limitation to the race, but not the specific character.

(To my knowledge), Garibaldi doesn't have any psychic powers, but I wouldn't give him a Limitation for that. I would just tell players they can't make a psychic Narn. Once the character is created, he will be no more hindered than any other non-psychic character. I think you should get rid of it.

Just my two cents.

-cK

First, yes, the No Psionics is part of the racial package for Narns.

Second, you're not the first to ask me why its there. My answer has always been yes, its a bit of a cop out, but psionics does play a major part of the B5 storyline (in the war against the Shadows, the Telepath Wars), and G'Kar and the Narn gov't are always plotting ways to reintroduce the psi gene back into Narn genetics it seemed somewhat appropriate. For those that have commented, its about 50/50 on its acceptance. (Those new to B5 have been okay with the limitation, and those familar with it don't think its an appropriate lim.)

Third, I could not honestly think of another racial 10 point disad for the Narns. Its a personal quirk, but I like my package deals to be a net 0 cost (or as close to it as I can get). If someone can come up with something else more appropriate, I'm all ears.

Aroooo

Originally posted by Citizen Keen

Should the Narn have the PhysLim "lack of psionics". This is a limitation to the race, but not the specific character.

I wouldn't think so since you have to buy Psionics.

It would be like purchasing the limitation "Illiterate" in a feudal society (where illiteracy was the norm)

Re: Slightly OT

GRRR!

NetFlix only has the first two seasons on DVD. I just finished season two and no more! Stupid stupid stupid! I am ready to scream.

Does anybody have any of the other seasons on DVD or VHS? Preferably seasons 3-5.

Hooked?

Third Season is due out Aug 12. Do you have the DVD combo Gathering/In The Beginning?

Aroooo

Just bumped the DVD combo up to the top of my Netflix account. Do either of the movies on the combo require knowledge of the third through fifth seasons? And more importantly, will either ruin any surprises in the third through fifth seasons?

What is the schedule for seasons four and five?

The Gathering is the original pilot episode for B5, so no spoilers there. Its interesting to watch from the standpoint of you can see what they changed (props, costumes, etc.) from the pilot to the show.

In the Beginning covers the Eath-Minbari war - how it started, and why it ended. Its been a few months since I watched it last, but I don't think there are any 3rd-5th season spoilers. Okay, well, maybe one. Its a big one, but its not one that will ruin the seasons for you.

I'm not sure what the release schedule for 4th and 5th seasons are; also don't know if they will release the other B5 movies on DVD.

Aroooo

(P.S. I'll tell you if you want to know beforehand.)

Just bumped the DVD combo up to the top of my Netflix account. Do either of the movies on the combo require knowledge of the third through fifth seasons? And more importantly, will either ruin any surprises in the third through fifth seasons?

What is the schedule for seasons four and five?

As far as any surprises being ruined by either movie, I'd say the

answer to that is a big "No". Neither is any knowledge of the

third, fourth or fifth seasons required to know what's going on.

"The Gathering" was the pilot movie for the series in general,

while "In The Beginning" was more or less about the events

leading up to and during the Earth-Minbari War (as recounted

by Emperor Mollari).

(Minor correction: there is a brief reference to "Babylon Squared"

at one point during "In The Beginning".)

Space Cadet :cool:

Second Season DVD Easter Egg

from dvdreview.com:

Insert the sixth disc of the box set and bring up the DVD’s Main Menu. There, select the 'Special Features' menu entry and on the following screen, select 'The Universe Of Babylon 5.' Now, select the 'Data Files' menu entry and then highlight the menu entry 'Project Lazarus' by using the 'Down' arrow key on your remote control. Once it is highlighted, press the 'Left' arrow key on your remote control to highlight a '5' logo. Press the 'Enter' key now and you will be treated to a truly funny few minutes of outtakes from the series.

Aroooo

Originally posted by RadeFox

Was looking at your site, since Im toying with the idea of a Babylon 5 universe setting. I noticed on the sample pilot you made, you gave him a 20 pt disad of Fighter Pilots Code of Honor. Maybe I missed that episode, but what exactely is that??

Not taken from direct evidence during the show, true, but it is supposed to represent their 'professional' code: Don't shoot civilians, don't shoot pilots who have ejected from their craft, Aces fight each other solo, always protect your wingman, etc. Think steriotypical WWI Fighter Ace. Actually, thinking about it, the episode with the Cortez lost in Hyperspace is a fair example. Think of the pilot's self sacrifice to save the Cortez.

If you feel 20 points is too big a disad, feel free to lower it. The sample pilot is just a die-hard :)

Aroooo

I likely would, since most of those qualites are covered in their Vow or Duty to EarthForce, and are mostly following reg's.

I personally would allow a maybe 5 pt disad for the Ace mentality, the one on one duels and such.

Good work on a lot of the stuff so far. I've already once done a full Bab 5 setting in White Wolf, and now am going with it in Hero. Nice to have a site where someone is doing the numbers, since I doubt I will bother with points for things like Starships and Jump gates. But if a rules lawyer gets snooty, I can dump the printouts on him. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The Evolution of an adventure

(I'm putting this here as it is a B5 adventure, so you can use the idea.)

I'm a GM who uses an extremely lose style. I don't usually plan more than the basic set up for an adventure, that way i can adjust it as my players react to what goes on (and try their hardest to derail the adventure)

The adventure I just started is a case in point of how my adventures evolve.

The crew of the ES Duck Dodgers was hired by Micheal Garabaldi to help find the cure to the Drahk Plague on Earth (This is set during Crusade) The crew is given various missions that, while deemed important enough to follow up on, was not deemed worthy of the Excalibur.

When handing out the first set of missions, one was:

A planet near Minbari space has been notice to have tech above the planet's current level. Find out where it is coming from.

When the players asked for a name, I blanked. Scolding myself gave it a name: Badgijm. The current tech level was equal to late 1800s Earth. Some tech on teh lower end of the spacefaring races have been noticed by Anthropologists studing them.

At this point I decided that EF shocksticks would be found (w/o serial numbers) and the Captainwho has an outstanding debt with the martian Mafia ties would be asked to make a drop of a sealed container before they got to the planet.

Lastly: when they fully started preparing to carry out the mission, and my needing to flesh out the details, I used the Fassai picture from TE for the physical description. And said that low energy weapons, and communication gear, were what has been spotted. But not in very big numbers. Also it was showing up in two rival political areas (countries). Since these were the 2 most advanced countries, Electrical power, was just now making an apperance. The tech had easy to recharge powerpacks.

The players started musing about who or what could be doing this. One said that it looked like someone was trying to keep his own twisted version of parity going.

At this I had a flash and let the characters role a deduction roll. Those who made it realized that this was how the Shadows operated. And possibly this was being done by Shadow allies (the Drahk are not the only ones)

So now they are searching for a group of unknown Shadow Allies that are giving 2 rival nations a push toward war, by promising each of them some new fancy tech, that cannot be made locally, so that they can gain control.

Any clarifications needed? Any questions?

TimS.

Originally posted by Space Cadet

As far as any surprises being ruined by either movie, I'd say the

answer to that is a big "No". Neither is any knowledge of the

third, fourth or fifth seasons required to know what's going on.

"The Gathering" was the pilot movie for the series in general,

while "In The Beginning" was more or less about the events

leading up to and during the Earth-Minbari War (as recounted

by Emperor Mollari).

(Minor correction: there is a brief reference to "Babylon Squared"

at one point during "In The Beginning".)

Space Cadet :cool:

This is, ah, a tad embarassing, but I made a slight goof when I

mentioned the title of the B5 episode to which reference was

made at one point during "In The Beginning". It wasn't "Babylon

Squared", it was the two-part episode "War Without End" (IIRC;

if i've given the wrong title this time, feel free to post the right

one).

Space Cadet :o

Re: awesome

Originally posted by vorlon

Wow, just want to say Aroooo your site is awesome - thanks for the ideas.

Thanks! Its always nice to hear from a fan :)

I just got my copy of the d20 B5 game yesterday. I have not even begun to read it in detail, but there is a TON of great B5 material in there. I'll give everyone a more detailed review as I read through it.

BTW, I'll have an update soon (maybe by the weekend) for my B5 site. I'll have the Ranger Patrol ship ready, plus maybe the Hyperion too. Work's been murder the last few weeks, hence my delays.

Aroooo