Barbarian Rage (or That Which Does Not Kill Me...)

knasser2

Hi,

I want to make a power for a character that makes them fight harder the more damage they take. I'm considering a more advanced version that even lets you fight on once you're dead (allowing you to last to the end of the combat even though you know you have mortal wounds). But for now, I'd be content with just the basic version.

What I have in mind: the character gains back Stun and Endurance when they take Body damage. I've looked at Aid, Healing and Endurance Reserve but I'm not sure what would be the best starting point or even how to progress once I'd picked. Or maybe there's a better starting point - I don't know! :)

I'm certain that I want it based around losing Body points. I'm flexible on other things. For example, I am also considering granting HTH bonuses when injured. But Endurance and Stun recovery seem to be the most thematic for what I have in mind. All suggestions are welcome, though. I've thought about doing this by increasing the Recovery stat or by simply healing lost Stun and Endurance. My game is a fantasy one so Lethal damage is much more common than "Normal" damage. It's also fairly low level so I'm looking to design a cheapish power.

Any suggestions on this one?

Many thanks,

K.

Healing is probably the most direct option, but Aid works well because it would fade after a certain point; that is, its not real Stun and END, its just adrenaline and rage that temporarily lets the character feel less wounded.

Thanks. That would be much better than healing then because it even allows them to collapse unconscious after the battle is over which is thematic.

How would you recommend handling tying it to loss of Body?

A trigger could do it; Aid triggered by body loss, so it would happen automatically without them having to do anything.  Its a bit spendy (you'd want it to reset automatically, etc) but a d6 of END goes a long ways even halved in effect.

Thanks. I hadn't noticed Triggers before (or had forgotten about them if I have). It seems a little odd that they're an advantage in this case as what I'm essentially saying is that you can't use your power unless you're injured. Remove the "Advantage" and you'd actually be able to use the power more easily!

I also decided that it would play faster if it simply upped the recovery stat. So my working version is as follows:

Channel Pain:
Aid (2d6) 12 CP
Expanded Effect +½ (affects both Recovery and Stun)
Trigger +3/4 (One condition +¼, takes no time +¼, character does not control trigger -¼, reset automaticaly +½ (activates every time character takes Body damage)) 
Limited Power -¼

Total Cost: 22CP

Effect: Roll 1d6. For every point, gain +2 Stun and +1 Recovery. These fade at the rate of 2 Stun and 1 Recovery per turn. Additional activations continue to add to the attributes up to a maximum of +12 Stun and +6 Recovery. Fading time is unaffected by repeat activations.
I'm pretty new at this so I'm as yet not confident in how much of a benefit the above will be, but 22CP seems quite a lot. And that's with me adding in an arbitrary Limited Power condition based on it requiring injury to activate. What do you think? Is it about right? I like the effect in that the character effectively becomes supercharged right up until they fall over dying. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Maybe I should drop the expanded effect as Recovery has a knock on effect on Stun anyway... Or perhaps build them as linked powers somehow?

You could use a few more limitations

for 19 cps

Aid 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; activates every time character takes Body damage; +3/4), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (affects both END and Stun and Body; +1) (58 Active Points); Only to Aid Self (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (only if Body damage is taken; -1)

or

for 22 cps

Aid 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; activates every time character takes Body damage; +3/4), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (affects END, Stun, and Body; +1) (78 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (only if Body damage is taken; -1 1/2), Only to Aid Self (-1)

I'm not sure on the level of  'only if Body damage is taken'

It seems a little odd that they're an advantage in this case as what I'm essentially saying is that you can't use your power unless you're injured. Remove the "Advantage" and you'd actually be able to use the power more easily!

If you can only use the power as a trigger, that's worth a limitation, a fairly large one (no conscious control would work).  The trigger is an advantage because it allows him to use the power even if its not his phase, if he's stunned, etc.  That's pretty advantageous.

You don't really need 2d6.  You get 1-6 STN and REC each die (STN is 2 per point, but the effect is halved because its an adjustment power)  You can drop the "takes no time" because in this context the time difference doesn't really matter, so it could be a little cheaper.

You could use a few more limitations

for 19 cps

Aid 3d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; activates every time character takes Body damage; +3/4), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (affects both END and Stun and Body; +1) (58 Active Points); Only to Aid Self (-1), Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (only if Body damage is taken; -1)

or

for 22 cps

Aid 4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; activates every time character takes Body damage; +3/4), Expanded Effect (x3 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (affects END, Stun, and Body; +1) (78 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (only if Body damage is taken; -1 1/2), Only to Aid Self (-1)

I'm not sure on the level of  'only if Body damage is taken'

If you can only use the power as a trigger, that's worth a limitation, a fairly large one (no conscious control would work).  The trigger is an advantage because it allows him to use the power even if its not his phase, if he's stunned, etc.  That's pretty advantageous.

You don't really need 2d6.  You get 1-6 STN and REC each die (STN is 2 per point, but the effect is halved because its an adjustment power)  You can drop the "takes no time" because in this context the time difference doesn't really matter, so it could be a little cheaper.

Thanks, both!. I get it about the Limitation, now. And those additional limitations you've added Tom are very helpful. I've also decided to drop the Expanded effect and just have the Stun gain come via the enhanced Recovery. So adding those in and changing the Trigger to how you suggest, I get this:

Channel Pain:
Aid (2d6) 12 CP
Reduced Endurance +½
Trigger +3/4 (One condition +¼, takes no time +¼, character does not control trigger -¼, reset automaticaly +½ (activates every time character takes Body damage))
Only Aid to Self -1
Limited Power -1 (Only takes effect if Body is taken)

Total Cost: 14CP (13.5 rounded up)

Effect: Roll 1d6. For every point, gain +1 Recovery. This fades at the rate of 1 Recovery per turn. Additional activations continue to add to Recovery up to a maximum +6 Recovery. Fading time is unaffected by repeat activations.

I'm confused by two things Christopher Taylor said which is why they're not in the above, yet. The "Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time". I'm not sure what it is for if it isn't allowing for the fact that the activation happens instantly. Is it meant for activating the trigger as in arming a bomb. I.e. it's nothing to do with the effect but to do with turning the trigger on or off? As this trigger is always on, that wouldn't apply therefore. Is that how it should be read?

The other thing is why you say you can get +1 Rec per point on a 1d6. As points allocated to Rec by Aid are halved, isn't that +1 Rec per two points? I.e. a 1d6 will get you 1-3 (if you rounded up when rolling a 1).

Unless there is something I am overlooking, this seems like exactly what the Absorption Power IS. Is there a reason everyone is overlooking it?

Are you certain this is legal? It is not in accord with my understanding of the rules.

Are you sure REC is not also a Defensive Power and thus AID is halved?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary buys extra BOD and STUN each with the "Lockout" Limitation so that the STUN is only usable when the BOD is expended.

Unless there is something I am overlooking, this seems like exactly what the Absorption Power IS. Is there a reason everyone is overlooking it?

Are you certain this is legal? It is not in accord with my understanding of the rules.

Are you sure REC is not also a Defensive Power and thus AID is halved?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary buys extra BOD and STUN each with the "Lockout" Limitation so that the STUN is only usable when the BOD is expended.

According to 6e Aid description Rec is a defensive power that halves the cost which is why I queried if I was missing something. For the Limitation, I did put in a -1 for it only kicking in when you take Body damage (and it has to actually damage you, tbc. If you soak it with defense it doesn't count). Does that sound about right? It seems a pretty serious qualifier to me. Thoughts?

Seriously, I don't get why you don't just use Absorption.

"Hurting me just makes me angry": (Total: 16 Active Cost, 11 Real Cost) Absorption 5 BODY (physical, STUN and REC), Persistent (+1/4), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+1/2), Increased Maximum (x4 points) (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (16 Active Points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-1/2) (Real Cost: 11)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says you would need to buy it twice to cover energy attacks too

I like that build too, it acts like the AID, and since absorb doesn't protect you normally, it behaves much like you want.  I think the only reason I didn't think about it is that I don't really ever use absorb because it always sucked.  Its probably functional in 6th edition but after decades of Hero...

I can't see how you'd buy a power that you have no ability to control but goes off on its own any other way.

Under the Trigger Advantage there is an option, "Character does not control activation of personal trigger." I was therefore questioning the validity of stacking a Limitation on top of that option that reduces the value of the Advantage, but I just checked and No Conscious Control is specifically called out in the rules as legitimate to combine with that option. You were right and my understanding was faulty.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary, Trigger: When composing a tagline

I like that build too, it acts like the AID, and since absorb doesn't protect you normally, it behaves much like you want.  I think the only reason I didn't think about it is that I don't really ever use absorb because it always sucked.  Its probably functional in 6th edition but after decades of Hero...

Honestly I haven't used it much either, but when the description of what the player is trying to do is such a match for exactly what Absorption is supposed to do - turn BOD damage into bonus points of something - it's worth considering I think.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants an Absorb that turns BOD damage into BODy.

Absorption is based on amount of damage pre armor for the bonus, Aid w/ trigger it is a flat bonus.

So in this case we can apply a Limitation to Absorption, that it applies to the BOD done AFTER Defenses. Thank you.

Lucius Alexander

I thought that this

Less BOD is more STUN and vice versa: (Total: 22 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) +11 BODY (11 Active Points); Lockout (STUN; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7) plus +22 STUN (11 Active Points); Lockout (BOD; -1/2) (Real Cost: 7)

Was a viable idea but the palindromedary spotted the flaw in it. Can you?

Hi,

I'd never really read Absorbtion. It didn't even occur to me that it would match what I wanted to do here. I likely glanced at it and figured it was some super-hero absorb materials consuming blob manner of power. My bad. Thank you - it does seem to fit what I had in mind with the exception that it must be real, actual taken Body damage, not soaked. Also, I don't really want the boost to be based directly on how much Body damage is taken. That could have worked, but I've gotten used to the idea that it's a flat amount. We played with the Aid version yesterday evening and it was pretty satisfying the way the character just kept getting back up again as their Recovery rose with every hit (up to the maximum).

Still, very useful to learn a different way of doing things.

Thank you all!

Absorption is based on amount of damage pre armor for the bonus, Aid w/ trigger it is a flat bonus.

I sometimes use a limitation called "random" for -½ that changes the effect into a roll, up to the maximum effect.  So if you get 6 points from an effect, Random turns it into a d6 of points, rolled to see how much you got.  That would give the range of random effect to Absorb if its desired.  Of course, Absorb's effect is somewhat random to begin with; you can't control how much damage is done to you.