A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Huh.  Learned today that the voice actor who did all the voices in Tom Terrific (it appeared in Captain Kangaroo; I don't remember seeing it in first run, but the Captain replayed episodes and I definitely remember seeing it in 1962 at latest), also voiced Eustace Bagge in Courage the Cowardly Dog more than forty years later.  That actor, Lionel Wilson, passed away in 2003.

Very weird to see someone's name with the suffixes EK OBE.  OBE is Order of the British Empire (I'm used to seeing that for distinguished UK types) but I had to look up EK ... and that's Eisenkreuze, Iron Cross, awarded 1942.  Further research indicates that the list also should have included BVO, Bundesverdienstordnung, the Order of Merit for the Federal Republic of Germany, between the two other distinctions.

I suppose you deserve all that when you win the FA Cup, while playing the last fifteen minutes with a broken neck.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:41 PM, Cancer said:

Huh.  Learned today that the voice actor who did all the voices in Tom Terrific (it appeared in Captain Kangaroo; I don't remember seeing it in first run, but the Captain replayed episodes and I definitely remember seeing it in 1962 at latest), also voiced Eustace Bagge in Courage the Cowardly Dog more than forty years later.  That actor, Lionel Wilson, passed away in 2003.

The first dog my family had when I was a kid was named Manfred. I apparently named her after Tom's sidekick.

So yesterday I got a nasty note on Deviantart. The writer does not like a particular artist and their depiction of Equestria. Apparently I was in the wrong for liking their work as were other people who had done the same. I would say the attitude was sullen rather than downright nasty. I deleted it but then thought that the artist might be getting nastier messages from said person. I did not have the full name but I dropped a note to the artist informing them of what I had received just in case. I am not that fond of bullying and wanted to let the artist know that someone was up to no good. Told the artist that I was prepared to talk to the admins if the person continued their attacks. Found out that the artist had received nasty notes from said individual and they were going to pursue matters with moderator help. I am glad that I stuck my head over the parapet.

I had a dream the other night in which I invented an app. It's an app to keep track of favors. Not monetary debts, but favors owed and repaid. You know, like the friend who says, "Thanks, I owe you one," this app would keep track of it for you. Upon waking I started to develop the idea further, and there could be pay-it-forward options and social networking. After talking with a coworker I'm calling it "IOU1" or maybe "IOU2". Not really sure how to monetize this. But I know it's a million dollar idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bit in Starship Troopers (the novel, not the explosive diarrhea of an elephant that was the movie of the same name) about how the troopers learned to cut each other's hair, and some of them even became passable barbers.

That's where we are in my house, at least for my son and me. Clippers with the #3 guard gets the hair out of my eyes, and that's all I really need.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the Christmas 2019 thread I mentioned getting a laser that is (1) illegal to ship and (2) illegal to possess in some jurisdictions (where I live is not among those).  I had taken it to my office with the intention of doing experiments with it this summer in a place that actually has the right equipment for such things, but our building is closed all summer as they grind away the old asbestos-tile flooring and put in new stuff, the first step in a renovation project set in motion a couple of years ago. 

(Pity: aren't you supposed to do your forbidden experimentation when no one is on campus due to a pandemic?  Man, the travails of a mad scientist.) 

So, the laser -- and the safety gear I got to go with it -- came home.  I still want a proper optics lab for examining the thing (mostly spectroscopically, but a good total luminous power measurement would be good too), but that'll have to wait several months.