A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Well Wimbledon is going to be interesting. In the men's Nadal, Djokovic and Murray are all out. So we either have a new champ[ion or Federer goes to 19 Grand Slam titles.

In the Women's with Serena Williams on maternity leave there is the first (pseudo) British player in the semis for over 30 years. Now either Venus Williams wins her second Grand Slam of the year or we have the first new champion in four years.

I dated a tennis player once. I had to break it off when I discovered that love meant nothing to her.

That comment is a double fault. :winkgrin:

My prediction for the Women's final: Venus in three sets. Muguruza is a tough contender, but Venus has the experience.

As for the men, we'll see how the semifinals play out. Federer is favored to win, but Cilic is also a Wimbledon champion (2014).

Le Puy-en-Velay is where the Tour ended for a stage yesterday and it looks great. It has volcanic plugs with a cathedral atop one and a statue atop another.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Puy-en-Velay

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=le+puy+en+velay&rlz=1C1PRFE_enGB691GB693&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilpO2bgpHVAhVNFMAKHeVkDCUQ_AUICCgD&biw=1680&bih=871

The great thing about the Internet is that if you want to know an answer it can give you the right one. I heard a piece of music on the nature documentary South Pacific and I knew I knew it. I associated it with Hawaii so I looked up music associated with Hawaii as a search. One of the top returns was Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawio'ole. So I played it on Youtube and that was the track.

Had my annual check-up of my aortic valve insufficiency the other day. Hard to say if it's getting worse, but it won't ever get better on its own. Major thoracic surgery a year or two away -- and I mean major: sternum sawed in twain like a plank, heart-lung machine because the heart must be stopped, six months of convalescence ...

It's definitely to be preferred to the alternative, though: cardiac insufficiency. That's an angst-filled way to go.