A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

http://www.bloggledygook.com/bloggledygook/2005/05/taking_islam_se.html

Rational criticism is what we, the vast faceless mass of news consumers not privy to the machinations of media cognoscenti and administration barkers deserve, yet rarely demand. Instead, we either buy the plaintive sniping of the New York Times editorial page [as] legitimate dogma, or blindly accept administration spin as what must be so, solely for the reason that it has said it is so.

Sadly, the confusion on the administration is mirrored by the malaise on the country's editorial pages, leaving those of us without the predisposition to accept or distrust either to wade through a growing sediment of manufactured news, recycled stories and outright obfuscation. It doesn't matter that both the media and the Bush Administration habitually hide facts that are harmful to their argument and seize upon missteps as evidence of the other side's utter depravity.

I am a nightmare on the grill. Everything I cook, be it chicken, steaks, burgers, whatever, is always too raw or too well done when I cook it.

I'm in the supermarket Saturday morning. There's a hella sale on London broil. Like an entire London broil for $2.50, and they look good. I take a chance.

It marinates in Italian salad dressing all day - not the bottled but the packet mix. Better, I says. Finally, the moment of truth.

I set the grill on low and once it's hot, on goes the meat. When I felt good about myself I flipped it. I walk out later with a knife and cut into it. I see red. Could it be?

I lift it off and on the cutting board it goes. Slice, slice, slice...OMG it's perfect! Perfect, I says! Medium on the ends and medium rare in the middle, and it tastes great! w00t! w00t!

I ate like a king with some mashed and some thick mushroom gravy. A couple of Amstels rounded out the grains group.

My first perfect grill! Yay!

Counting coup:

On May 3, I came right out and accused Robot King of being Fred Bittick. All but 42 of his posts have since been deleted, (all from a locked thread), and the last time he logged onto the boards was yesterday.

hmm...

Woot?

I am so glad that the studio is just a temporary stepping stone. The "workmen" finally arrived today to put it in. (It was promised to be in May 5...) I was getting a lot of "for sure tomorrow, I promise" from the landlord.

I was a bit annoyed today already from finding out I've got points on my insurance record from the <censored> who killed my Nissan last year. So I get to try to clear that up with AAA. I do not recommend the Oregon version of AAA. The ones in California/Nevada were great. The ones in Oregon were skinflints that make you do all the work.

So in my phone message to the landlord, I think I challenged some of that into plusses on a presence attack. They were here 20 minutes later to start work. Jenn said she'd never heard me speak like that and there wasn't a single swear word. I was just explaining the situation as how I saw it and how disappointed I was in the service.

The kids who did the work were nice enough. Just not much experience. After one of them nearly cut his hand off with breaking one of the old panes trying to get it out of the frame, I suggested putting tape over the window to keep the big frame from shattering. (And showering the studio with bits of glass.)

The new window is pretty funny. Two regular windows put in place against 2x4s that were attached to the brick. They don't span the entire space so we've also got a plywood spacer. The spacer that we have right now is a temp job and we'll get one that fits properly tomorrow. (It's still going to be a kludge job though.)

I'm just happy to have windows with screens so that we can have some air flow in here. They're installing an air conditioner tomorrow (or so they say...)

Guest Worldmaker

So I get an attempt at a virus from "administration@globalguardians.com", telling me that my email account has been suspended and to find out why, open the attachment.

And I'm thinking "You're not even trying very hard, sending that to me..."

I'm the only person at my work who's doing a job which was previously shared between two. I have a ton of paperwork due by next Tuesday. I may have to register train as many as 4 people before then.

So why the frig am I wasting time online?

Oh yeah. Too tired to concentrate.

(ooh, shiny!)

COWS CRUCIAL IN THEORY OF EVERYTHING

In Scientific American or Physics Today or one of those propeller-head

rags in the last month or so was described a cow-pie-in-the-sky plan

for a particle accelerator, the Shagadelic MOOon Collider (ShMuC).

ShMuC will generate huge numbers of MOOons in a Holstein-Holstein

collier ring first, then take the resulting MOOons and accelerate

them to BFeV energies (1 BFeV = one shagzillion electron volts,

alternately described as about three firkins shy of a troy scruple

or a couple crayons short of a full box) in oppositely circulating

rings. The two beams of MOOons will be herded into colliding in a

detector facility somewhere outside of Bovina, Texas. Funding for

the project is being provided by selling off some boullion reserves,

and sales of grandstand seats around the collision point, marketing

it as "kinda like WWF but with cows on rocket sleds, kinda".

Most of the collision events will be uninteresting (to physicists,

anyway) and result only in Vienna sausages and splattered steak and

kidney pie, but a few are expected to form the elusive Piggs boson,

which in some theories causes mass. (Mass _what_ has never been

elucidated.) Finding the Piggs would be a key step on ToE, the

Theory of Everything, and the discovery of Piggs resulting from

high-energy bovine collisions will disrupt kosher delicatessens

everywhere.

A technical problem is that MOOons are quite unstable so cooling

the MOOons enough to get good collision rates cannot be done by

standard techniques. No one knows how to keep MOOons within

Health Department temperature guidelines while accelerating them

up to near light speed. Several fast-food burger chains are reported

to be interested in the technology once it is developed, however.

If you ever put part of a can of Armor Potted Meat in the refrigerator overnight to use in a sandwich the next day, don't expect to be able to spread it on the bread as soon as you take it out of the refrigerator because it's too stiff.

And don't try to warm it up to spreadable consitency in the microwave. Hot Armor Potted Meat tastes awful! :ugly:

I begun the moving process today. I took two trips in my car to the place. I took pictures of the empty apartment to give people the idea of what it is. I've noticed some things about the apartment that I like a lot. For starters, there is a small spot in front of the ground for planting things. I think growing some flowers in front of the apartment would be nice.

I also realized that our apartment is perfect for having group get togethers. Wolf can bring her baby and hide in the apartment when necessary and the group can hang out outside with the nice big lawn and picnic table.

This was brought to mind by the thread on the Senate compromise on filibustering judge nominees, but should not be taken as weighing in on one side or another. It's just a semantics note.

There is a big difference between "deserves" and "is entitled to", and we shouldn't use one when we mean the other. "Deserves" means that something should happen, but no one is actually obligated to make it so. For example, "I deserve a girlfriend." It may be true, but I can't make anyone find me one who doesn't want to. It's also a subjective condition. "All judicial nominees deserve an up or down vote" or "President Bush deserves to shape the court system to his liking" are subjectively true to the speaker who believes them, even if his audience believes the statements to be subjectively false.

"Is entitled to" means that there is a legal or contractual obligation to make the desired circumstance happen. For example, "I am entitled to forty hours of vacation a year, because it's in the contract I signed with my employer." This is a objective statement, because there's a written piece of paper that spells out my entitlement, as well as the obligations I have taken on to earn that entitlement. The judicial nominees are not "entitled to" an up or down vote; the Senate is not obligated to give it to them, no matter how much they may deserve it.

For what it's worth.