A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I want a new game.

One that catches my imagination and keeps it.

One that I keep thinking about.

One that doesn't make me nervous about posting.

Or nervous about other players and their agendas.

One I have equal creative control without making the GM, or other players nervous.

I just want a new game.

Guest Worldmaker

More Spammer Fun. Just got this one this morning.

Dear

Southtrust customer,

Please read this message carefully and follow it's instructions.

Southtrust is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community

of customers. To protect the security of your account, Southtrust employs

some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen

the Southtrust system for unusual activity.

Recently, our team identified some unusual activity in your account.

In accordance with Southtrust User Agreement access to your account will be limited.

This is a fraud prevention measure meant to ensure that your account is not compromised.

In order to secure your account we may require some specific information from you. We encourage you to log in by clicking on the link below and complete the requested form as soon as possible.

https://southtrustonlinebanking.com/retail/Login.asp

This e-mail contains information directly related to your account with us,

other services you have subscribed, and/or any application you may have

submitted.

Sincerely,

Southtrust Security Department.

One problem... I'm not a SouthTrust customer.

I think I'm going to phone SouthTrust and let them in on this one.

2 Randoms for the price of one.

Decided to grab a tub of Haagan Daas Banoffee ice cream last night on the way back into the flat. 'Cept the shop didn't have any.

But Lo ! What do my eyes perceive ?

Can it be ?

Haagan Daas Pancotta and Raspberry flavour ice cream !

My inner ego Roared 'It Must be Mine !'

And so it was.

There is a comedy programme on TV called Dead Ringers. Last night they took the rise out of George Lucas with Lucas reimagining classic films. One of these was Psycho. Only it's Jar Jar coming to bring towels to the girl in the shower. So she stabs him to death with the big knife. And then you see Lucas giving the thumbs up to the fans.

Truely isn't it what we all want ?

I rolled really crappily on my Unluck this week, and movig always tosses in a few extra dice, to begin with.

First major hitch was the moving van. We hadn't heard a phone confirmation/scheduling by Friday at 5, so I called them, and they said to call back. We had meant to be mostly moved by this evening; we won't get the van until tomorrow morning, and we have no one to help us move. And my back is already aching.

Second, Josh told the apartment office yesterday that we were moving. They said, "Okay, but you owe us June rent."

I'd understand if it was a breach of lease, and if we hadn't lived there the full year we said we would. But, no. Apparently they just assume you want to renew your lease (isn't that illegal?) whenever it runs out, and they expect you to tell them if you're not going to.

Oh, and they want 60 days' notice on that.

:mad:

We didn't even KNOW 60 days ago (or even 20) that we'd definitely have to move. So if we'd said anything, we'd be facing homelessness (again), but since we didn't, we have to scrape together $800 we don't have.

Need I mention that's 3 weeks' net salary for me?

I'm going to call their higher-ups on Monday and talk their ear off (politely) about it for as long as I need to until they make an exception. I'm fully prepared to let them keep the security deposit, even though it doesn't cover the full amount. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I'll inform them they're not getting the money, anyway, because we simply don't have that kind of income. That's why we moved away in the first place.

And then, the best one of all. It has nothing to do with our moving, but it just happened, and was pretty notably bad.

I was driving on the Blue Ridge Parkway (speed limit 45, curvy 2-lane road) when a car started following a wee bit too close for my comfort. So I did what I always do; I hit my emergency lights and slowed down. They got within inches of my back bumper, then passed me.

And pulled in front of me, nearly shaving off my front bumper. Then slowed down.

So I did the only thing I could think of; I stopped. I caught my breath, stopped my shaking, then resumed driving.

And caught up with him again. At which point, he hit his brakes.

He travelled along at about 20 - 30 mph for several miles, hitting his brakes at odd moments to try to get me to hit him. I tried to pass him, and he pulled into the oncoming lane in front of me. I laid on my horn, but this only got him to hit his brakes again. I followed on HIS tail, which got him to almost come to a screeching halt.

Finally, he sped back up, whizzing up the road. I went back up to the speed limit, as I had been doing when he first got onto my tail. At the next turnoff, he was waiting, and pulled out RIGHT in front of me. If I'd had the capacity, I would've laughed. (I'm a Massachusetts driver. That's the FIRST thing I learned to deal with when driving defensively.)

Then I got onto my turn, he didn't follow (though I think he thought I was trying to pass him again, because he swerved into the oncoming lane again), and I escaped.

I'm STILL shaking a little, and that was 2 1/2 hours ago. It scared, frustrated and angered me, all at the same time.

Now I don't know how to handle it. Do I just rant and rave online like I always do? Do I report it to the police? If I do, what do I tell them? I did get a license plate number, just in case, but it would be a case of my word against theirs. And I really don't have the time to drag anyone to court, even if it IS valid.

As it is, I'm just trying to calm down, and I did some shopping therapy. In a little bit, I'm going to use this nervous energy to get some packing done.

As soon as I know my hands are steady enough that I don't slice off a finger trying to cut the packing tape.

Guest Worldmaker

I managed to slice the tip of my left index finger off while slicing onions at work tonight. Not the entire thing... I mean, I didn't cut bone, but I've got missing skin and meat now... its irritating.

I think I'm seeing more and more threads that probably belong in the NGD being started outside the NGD. I also think there are several threads that originally belonged outside the NGD have degenerated into simple chattiness and clearly should have been moved into the NGD.

Ya-HAH! The Travises are again mobile!

We decided to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales going on and traded in the great white whale for a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (very nice, smooth ride, only thing it's missing is a CD player but we can get around that).

The only problem?

It runs so quietly that we keep thinking the car has died (force of habit after dealing with the great white whale)!

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

4 and a half hours into Sunday's moving process. Things aren't looking good. One person said he'd show up to help with moving things and is no where to be seen. Another isn't interested in moving. Alice offered pizza to people at her job if they would help and no one was interested. Some of this stuff we need help with and just can't do alone. It isn't looking pretty right now.

Guest Worldmaker

There is a simple elegance in taking chicken and stewing it lightly with some vegetables in stock to create the perfect no fuss dinner.

I found really good Kim-she (sp?) at a local chinese resturant.

Normally, at resturants, it is either bland and Hot, or bland and bland. This has a really good flavor you can taste before the hot kicks in.

An interesting spam I just got.

Hello,

My boyfriend begElizabeth following, ever in obedience to the signals from thean having problems with erections (he's older) and I suggested he look into VlAGRRA.

Boy, am I glad he did!

The first time he tried it, one 50 mg piIl did nothing so he took another and that was a mistake. Three hours later he was still rock harremind you, he said at last, very quietly, that the object in viewd and had come multiple times (so had I)!! Since then a single 50 mg dose does it very well--he's now good for almost 2 hours of good hard sex that leaves both of us worn out.

- Bobbie, He looked first to right, then to left as he spoke, from the distant21 female USA

...And I wanted to know this, why? :no:

A bit of a culture shock.

Just down the street are some people practicing for a quick draw western event. And of course, all contestants must be in western garb.

Last time I heard so much gunfire was when I was in a bad neighborhood.

So I'm listening to the radio today and the station plays Green Day's early single "Longview." And they censor the line "When masturbation's lost its fun, you're f***ing lazy."

As in, they always censored the F word, which is FCC guidelines. But this time they censored "masturbation."

So that's practically a whole verse of silence.

And it's all because after the Janet Jackson "scandal" certain people have the broadcasters totally :whip:

As much as I despise the Democratic Party, it might be good if the White House changed hands in 2008. If only because the inevitable sex and/or bribery investigations of the President would put them in very weak position to scold us plebes. ;)

JG

I can't believe I had to come in to work today... there are no, repeat NO, calls in the queue this morning, and I've been here since 6am. I've taken ONE call and that was a fast question about something.

God, I hope the call center supe comes in and sends us home, we have five teams scheduled to come in besides us and we had the highest sales last week, so they said we could go home early today.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I hurt, a lot. Moving went aweful but we got the job done. I know for a fact two posts accidently got an email about my desperate cry for help. Yesterday was a day I never want to live through again. Just about every muscle in my body hurts. The more notable parts were when I fell into the entertainment center and messed up my kneecap and "rolling" a 60 pound, solid oak, $500 bureau at 11:45 pm up a deck and into our living room. If it wasn't for a friend who happened to get home when he did, we would have been moving until about 4:00 am.

The place though is very nice. The only real space problem I think we will have is finding where to put my bureau. Everything else should fit in nicely. The unpacking process will take a while, but it shouldn't be that bad. I love the spot. I can step out onto the front porch and look up at a bluejay nest. I took a picture of my cat staring at the resident squirrel. Alice and I saw a rabbit in the back lawn. I got some pictures of that as well. Jeff has taken well to the place. Herc, however, is very mad at us and sulking around still.

"When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag....as for the types of comments I make, sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence."

-General George S. Patton