A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Took two of our cats to the clinic yesterday. Daisy has been having some bathroom problems and as we found out, lost 4 lbs since the beginning of the year. :eek:

She needed to lose some weight, but that drastic of a weight loss isn't good. So, we got some meds and some instructions on a few other things to try. We had done some stuff since Jan (per our previous Vet). We did find yet another food to try her out on, Wysong, which she seems to like.

There are a couple tests we're awaiting results on. She was pretty good about the blood draw.

Risque' was just in for a check up since we wanted to make sure his hyperthyroid wasn't getting worse. He was not good at all about the blood draw. Thankfully he didn't bite my boss, but he tried. Took about 20 minutes of struggle before we got the blood sample. That, and I have to wonder where he learned that language.

I'd been having a really, really crappy day, with lots of stress and piled-on work and stuff. I'm doing the world's most thankless job, pushing little pieces of paper, when suddenly, a note on one of them catches my eye:

Thank you Alice for all that you do.

It was all I could do to keep from bursting out laughing when I read that note. I ended up making a copy of it so I can take it home and give myself a smile when I need it.

This wasn't even from someone I work closely with, so it was a pleasant surprise. ^ v ^

So this Thursday (June 9) zornwil/Wilson Zorn was in Las Vegas for a convention at the Rio and he asked me if I wanted to get together with him and hang out. We arranged that, and after 8 pm we met up at the Sahara and had a pretty good time walking from the Sahara hotel to the Mirage, and discussing current events on the board, his career, my life in Las Vegas, and other stuff. Unfortunately we didn't think to bring a video-cell phone or camcorder to take pictures and prove we exist.

But anyway: After doing a brief tour of the Wynn resort, around 9:30 pm, we started moving toward the Treasure Island to watch their corny new pirate battle ('Wot's this? This pirate ship's been taken over by Amazon strippers in red lingerie!'). As we walked by the Wynn though, we saw the northbound side of the Strip just crammed full of taxicabs all honking their horns at the same time, and eventually we noticed that they didn't have any passengers in them.

We figured there was some kind of walkout going on. After getting as far as Harrah's and Mirage, my feet were killing me and Wilson agreed that we should go back and see if there were any cabs available to get us back to the Sahara. We got to the Venetian and got a cab, and asked the driver what was going on.

It turns out there is a major strike taking place Thursday AND Friday for various reasons. One, hotels are now diverting customers who are going to strip clubs from the taxi cabs to the limo services. This is a huge bone of contention because when you drop someone off at the strip club, the owners give the cabbie at least $20 a fare, sometimes $20 a head. Outside the industry, this is referred to as a kickback. Among the cabdrivers, it's called Mom, apple pie and the American Way.

The other problem is that the 'book fee' that the cabbie pays to his company per fare- in addition to getting his gas and other creative accounting expenses taken out BEFORE withholding- has jumped from 50 cents to $1.50, making it that much more difficult to turn a profit by the book.

And according to the cabbie, this all got signed into law by Governor Guinn, the Republican-In-Name-Only who previously signed the largest tax increase in Nevada's history only to wind up with more money than the state knew what to do with once the 9-11 economic bust leveled out. So if this is law, and not just one company screwing its people, that would explain why I saw EVERY company honking their horns- Frias, Bell, Yellow, etc.

Again, this strike is supposed to be resuming Friday evening, at exactly the busiest commute of the week. With McCarran being one of the busiest airports in the nation, it may bring things to a standstill there.

So this might end up on the news, at least if you live out West. Otherwise, if you are one of the two or three other posters over here, or if you have a layover stop in Vegas Friday... you may want to change your plans.

Do not screw with a cab driver. Especially a Las Vegas cab driver. Especially when your economy depends on tourism.

JG

So after all these one night stands

You've ended up with heart in hand

A child alone

On your own

Retreating

Regretful for the things you're not

And all dreams you haven't got

Without a home

A heart of stone

Lies bleeding

And for all the roads you followed

And for all you did not find

And for all the things you had to leave behind

I am the way

I am the light

I am the dark inside the night

I hear your hopes

I feel your dreams

And in the dark

I hear your screams

Don't turn away

Just take my hand

And when you make your final stand

I'll be right there

I'll never leave

All I ask of you

Believe

Your childhood eyes were so intense

While bartering your innocence

For bits of string

Grown-up wings

You needed

But when you had to add them up

You found that they were not enough

To get you in

Pay for sins repeated

And for all the years you borrowed

And for all the tears you cried

And for all the fears you had to keep inside

I am the way I am the light I am the dark inside the night I hear your

hopes I feel your dreams And in the dark I hear your screams

Don't turn away

Just take my hand

I'll be right there

I'll never leave

And all I ask of you is

Believe

I never wanted to know

Never wanted to see

I wasted my time

Till time wasted me

Never wanted to go

Always wanted to stay

'Cause the person I am

Are the parts that I play

So I plot and I plan

Hope and I scheme

To the lure of a night

Filled with unfinished dreams

And I'm holding on tight

To a world gone astray

As they charge me for years

I can't pay

I am the way

I am the light

I am the dark inside the night

I hear your hopes

I feel your dreams

And in the dark

I hear your screams Don't turn away

Just take my hand

I'll be right there

I'll never leave

And all I ask of you is

Believe

Believe

--Savatage

Austrailian Humor.

Some more chuckles for you...............

After every flight, Qantas pilots fill out a form, called a "gripe sheet,"

which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics

correct the problems, document their repairs on the form, and then pilots

review the gripe sheets before the next flight. Never let it be said that

ground crews lack a sense of humor.

Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Qantas' pilots

(marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by

maintenance engineers. By the way, Qantas is the only major airline that has

never had an accident.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.

S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.

S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.

S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.

S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute

descent.

S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.

S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.

S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.

S: That's what they're for.

P: IFF inoperative.

S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.

S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.

S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny. (I love this one!)

S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.

S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.

S: Cat installed.

P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget

pounding on something with a hammer.

S: Took hammer away from midget.

Announcing the new "Built-in Orderly Organized Knowledge" device, otherwise known as BOOK!

It's a revolutionary breakthrough in technology: no wires, no electric circuits, no batteries, nothing to be connected or switched on. It's so easy to use even a child can operate it. Just lift its cover. Compact and portable, it can be used anywhere--even sitting in an armchair by the fire--yet it is powerful enough to hold as much information as a CD-ROM! Here's how it works: each BOOK is constructed of sequentially numbered sheets of paper (recyclable), each capable of holding thousands of bits of information. These pages are locked together with a custom-fit device called a binder which keeps the sheets in their correct sequence. By using both sides of each sheet, manufacturers are able to cut costs in half. Each sheet is scanned optically, registering information directly into your brain. A flick of the finger takes you to the next sheet. The book may be taken up at any time and used by merely opening it. The "browse" feature allows you to move instantly to any sheet, and move forward and backward as you wish. Most come with an "index" feature, which pinpoints the exact location of any selected information for instant retrieval. An optional "BOOKmark" accessory allows you to open the BOOK to the exact place you left it in a previous session--even if the BOOK has been closed. BOOKmarks fit universal design standards; thus a single BOOKmark can be used in BOOKs by various manufacturers. Portable, durable and affordable, the BOOK is expected to enjoy tremendous demand of truly historic proportions. New titles continue to appear, due to the continued popularity of its programming tool, the Portable Erasable-Nib Cryptic Intercommunication Language Stylus.

A good friend recently lost her favorite amulet (Owl on one side, Triskel on the other). She can not find the thing and has been tearing up her house looking for it. I sympathize with her, but at the same time I recognize she's going to be impossible to live with for the next week at least unless she finds the darn thing.

If anyone wants to send prayers, well wishes, goodlucks or good vibes her way so the darn thing gets found, I'd appreciate it. I know it is just a 'thing', but it is one of her favorite 'things' so, she's obsessing a bit.

Bit being a relative term.

Today from a post made by Supreme about how misunderstood Dracula (the book) is...

Well that post of Supreme's inspired me to read about Dracula on Wikipedia. To cut a long story short, (1) I was reading about two very early vampire stories predating Stokers, Camillia and The Vampyre.

Today while I was in a newsagent/bookstore there was a display of Penguin Classics. I looked through the two on Dracula and Frankenstein. In the later in the appendix it included The Vampyre story story. Only approx 6 or 7 hours previous I was aware this story existed and here it was for under $10 ($5 US). Natually I bought it. :)

(1) "long story, short" = novella

My dad's great. Check out what he e-mailed me earlier tonight:

There's a street in Providence named Atwells Avenue. Atwells, mind you, not Atwell's. Nonetheless, one of the exit signs on the highway says "Atwell's". There's no space between the l and the s, so somebody added the apostrophe after the fact. I got a chance to take a good look at that apostrophe today, because I was stuck under the sign in traffic. Was it painted on? Stuck on? No, it was a bullet hole. I guess it was a random act of senseless proofreading.