A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

A problem with an interdisciplinary team is that people from different disciplines prefer to see the data presented in different ways. For example, with my physical science background, what statisticians think of as a standard q-q plot I think is just plain wrong, since it puts the observations on the vertical axis and the theory on the horizontal.

But, I figured out what a q-q plot was (I'd never head of them before about 11AM Monday), learned how to make them, and now the whole team is happy. :D

One sad note. During GenCon our cat of nearly 19 years died. It was quick, though, and although not expected right that moment it was expected in general as she was in declining health. Per our prior agreement, Alesia let me know when this was happening. It didn't really completely and totally hit me until now, since I'm home alone and the convention high has worn off. Anyway, just for those who would care, as well, I didn't want to start a thread or such as I don't want to dwell on it, just wanted to state it "for the record".

There's a lot of aheming about these days, I wonder why? :halo:

How bizarre - I just had a great idea for a game...we live our lives on this planet often believing in but not truly sure of an after-life. If we all, every single one of us, knew about the afterlife on some absolute level, that we'd live in, I can't imagine how badly we'd treat each other. So maybe if there is an afterlife then it's good we don't know about it, and our consciousness will raise in the next life. And then I started thinking, hell must be that place where bad people end up in that they all know that they will live forever and they treat each other just like the bad people here treat anyone here, as they live without consequence. Then I started thinking, well, let's suppose dead people deposit in one single place, so they start meeting, greeting, and sorting out there, wanting to find loved ones and all that, but also finding out that the people who left this life feeling one way went to one area, sticking together, as of course people do, and so now there are all these factions, and of course it's even worse as they often operate to the lowest common denominator of course shared by that faction. And here on this plane let's suppose that when you die, you don't go away, you just end up back at that central depository, this is a KNOWN fact.

This could be a great idea for an RPG! I'm going to think about it. In one respect it's going to be easy in some ways - combat is quick and simple because death has no consequence beyond minor inconvenience! So the combat system will be highly highly simplified. But I'm not sure what the particular belief driver/way of life among this plane would exactly be, going to think about it. The simple thing is that people who explode in anger against each other immediately upon rearrival never get far from that central point, of course, since they continually jump and kill each other and never get far before the other one reappears to repeat the cycle. Think about it, one aspect of living would be not to be so revenged that you'd be doomed in a death cycle for a long period. And death cycles would last for as long as someone had a party in the central depository ready to kill you upon arrival. Something to think about...

Find and read the "Heroes in Hell" series

How bizarre - I just had a great idea for a game...we live our lives on this planet often believing in but not truly sure of an after-life. If we all, every single one of us, knew about the afterlife on some absolute level, that we'd live in, I can't imagine how badly we'd treat each other. So maybe if there is an afterlife then it's good we don't know about it, and our consciousness will raise in the next life. And then I started thinking, hell must be that place where bad people end up in that they all know that they will live forever and they treat each other just like the bad people here treat anyone here, as they live without consequence. Then I started thinking, well, let's suppose dead people deposit in one single place, so they start meeting, greeting, and sorting out there, wanting to find loved ones and all that, but also finding out that the people who left this life feeling one way went to one area, sticking together, as of course people do, and so now there are all these factions, and of course it's even worse as they often operate to the lowest common denominator of course shared by that faction. And here on this plane let's suppose that when you die, you don't go away, you just end up back at that central depository, this is a KNOWN fact.

This could be a great idea for an RPG! I'm going to think about it. In one respect it's going to be easy in some ways - combat is quick and simple because death has no consequence beyond minor inconvenience! So the combat system will be highly highly simplified. But I'm not sure what the particular belief driver/way of life among this plane would exactly be, going to think about it. The simple thing is that people who explode in anger against each other immediately upon rearrival never get far from that central point, of course, since they continually jump and kill each other and never get far before the other one reappears to repeat the cycle. Think about it, one aspect of living would be not to be so revenged that you'd be doomed in a death cycle for a long period. And death cycles would last for as long as someone had a party in the central depository ready to kill you upon arrival. Something to think about...

Guest PenguinKiller

I have a sudden urge to re-post a bit of what Old Man posted in the first post. "...the only rule is that you cannot reply to someone else's post. Each post should have as little to do with the others as possible." I know that some rules are there to break, but I was told the first time I posted in this thread that I couldn't reply and that's what Musings on Random Musings was for. Or in this case, Musings: The Next Generation. So not to sound rude or anything, but the whole point of this thread is to be as RANDOM AS POSSIBLE!!! We can't be so random if y'all are breaking the rules!!! >.<

Ok. That's odd. When I took my trip to Portland last week passing thru Vegas, I thought I should go to the Vegas Fry's store. I needed some computer bits.

I get to the hotel and I could swear I looked thru the business listings after I didn't find them in the Yellow page section.

I give up and buy what I need in Portland at a CompUSA. (The Fry's was just a bit far for a quick trip.)

Tonight I'm reminded about this and check online. Took a bit of a search to find they're in the Nonclassified Establishments part of the Verizon online pages. I was able to find them with a quick google search as well, but gah. It's amazing how often Fry's has annoyed me over the years. They usually have a decent selection which is the only reason I can go there at all. I just know I'll be ordering major bits online from other places though.

The Tribble has been waiting for an upturn in luck of late. It has not been bad but it could be better. Two films I put in for development turned up blank so I could have used them for example. What I really wanted was a sign to show that things are worth it. And then cam Monday.

Finishing off a meeting I decided not to go to the cinema but to go to HMV (record store) instead and have a look at their 3 for $30 campaign. When I got there, I see a queue. What is this for ? A signing obviously. But who and for what ? It is the first day of release for the new Siouxsie and the Banshees DVD Dreamshow which is Siouxsie with orchestral backing from last year. Siouxsie will be in store signing.

Quicker than you can say 'Holy Righteous Purchase by a Banshee fan' I buy the DVD and join the queue. Took over an hour and a half to get through the queue and get the insert from the DVD signed while the DVD played in the background. Some would say that this was a waste of time. But then some things cannot be explained to those of us who are not fans.

Exit the Tribble homewards purring in delight.

Tomorrow, my sister in law moves in with me. She'll live here a few months to finish college. She's on the last term of getting a sjukgymnast license (I think it translates as physical therapist). She's a great person, but she's a bit of a . . . I dunno, a neat freak, and I'm not . . . I'm pretty much the Average Joe Single Guy.

I wonder how it will turn out . . .

Guest George Kirby

What comes around goes around. Usually, its you that gets it coming around... but sometimes you are what's coming around.

Most of the rest of my gaming group is at Dragonflight starting today, and among their other activities, they're doing a two-session multi-table event. (Yes, it's Hero system, though that isn't a big part of it.) I contributed a lot of ideas in the preparation -- and there are some really weird ideas -- but I'm unable to attend, and once I realized that I stopped doing much for it and became a peripheral kibbitzer.

We deliberately tried to construct something you could not do except at a con. When a PC gets "killed" --and it's intended to be pretty "lethal" so it should happen a lot -- they get sent to a "floating GM" and then sent to one of the other tables and re-constituted there. Every table has important missions to fulfill, and the tables are all running in parallel with payoffs to all the tables as things are accomplished, so that no one can experience the whole event/campaign. If it goes well, it could be possible to create an atmosphere like the multiple-simultaneous-essential-action-sequences aspect as the climax of Return of the Jedi, which would just be unspeakably awesome if it works.

I'm looking forward to the after-action report next week.