A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

You know, there's one stupid side effect of having asterick.com as a primary domain and my email tied to it...people often register fakenames@asterick.com (though I really pity whoever has the CORRECT spelling, asterisk.com!), most recently slivicki@ that place, and so when they register at some place that triggers a cascade of semi-legit spam, that adds to my massive pile of spam to my domain.

I probably really need to switch to my .name domain, .zorn...

I would really like to find out who the hell went online and registered with some gazillion promotional offerings as slivicki@asterick.com, since now I am getting tons of that spam, and a lot of it isn't even spam per se, it seems to be totally legit stuff and most of it seems to work fine to unsubscribe from. But whoever they are, man did they just go on some sort of spree online. I don't think it's anyone getting at me, since they could have more easily just put my actual address and they wouldn't know (until now, anyway) that I personally see all domain mail that doesn't actually end up at a legit address.

Guest George Kirby

I hadn't realized just how bad of a Narnia geek I was until this. I mean, I last read the books when I was 13.

But of course, I first read them when I was 7, and they were my first exposure to the fantasy genre, and boy-oh-boy I could read them all over and over and over.

So I was showing my son the trailer for the upcoming Narnia film, and had tears in my eyes...

"The less testable a human belief is, the more strongly we tend to hold on to it. Deep down we recognise that although not being testable means that disbelievers can't prove we're wrong, it also means that we can't prove we're right. Since we know that we are, that sets up a tremendous tension."

--T. Pratchett, I. Stewart, J. Cohen

Read this just last night, and it struck me as true.

I just finished a new trailer for my book (which will be uploaded to my website tomorrow), and it's gotta be one of my best efforts yet. All new video clips (nothing repeated from previous trailers), new taglines, new music (and a phenomenal music editing job, if I do say so myself)... I am so proud of myself.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest George Kirby

I'm glad you're a Men At Work fan... so am I... but putting something that long into the "location" header is really busting up the page margins and is thus irritating as hell.

And yes, its you that's causing the page to no longer fit on my screen, because if one of your posts isn't on the page, the page fits just fine.

I survived both a multi-day visitation from my side of the family over last weekend, and my 13th wedding anniversary last night. The latter was more enjoyable (and definitely less tiring!) for me than the former, though my kids would probably have the opposite opinion.

A couple of weekends ago, I went to the Washington Renaissance & Fantasy Fair. By fluke, there was a vendor selling cinnamon glazed almonds there. These are, apparently, standard fare at traveling amusement fairs in Germany, which is where I had last encountered them, back in 1968-71. But, it had been over thirty years since I'd had any.

Taste/odor cues seem to be tied the deepest in the old brain core, and they can yank your psyche harder than any other kind. Anyway, it isn't often that you get that strong a memory trigger back to happy times in one's youth, but there it was. Best eight bucks I've spent this summer.

Guest George Kirby

This morning I woke up at a little before 7 am and had just enough time to take a shower and get dressed before my youngest son got up and demanded Captain Crunch and Blue's Clues. (My oldest son is in High School... he's good at taking care of himself these days.)

Anyway, after cereal and cartoon puppies, my son came to me in my office, asked what I was doing, and when he was told "responding to my email" asked if he could help. So he sat in my lap and pushed buttons on request. "Push send". Or "Push the Q key" and so on.

And when we were done with that, we went to http://www.noggin.com and spent the next two hours or so playing games that he could play. I provided helpful commentary and conversation while he played for about the next hour and a half.

At around 9, my wife (having woke up earlier) stuck her head in and reminded me of the time. I picked my son up, set him back down in the office chair, and said "Daddy's got to get ready for work, buddy... we'll play again later." He immediately went into near hysterics that lasted until I walked out the door. He kept crying "I don't want you to go to work! I want you to stay home and be with me! Stay home, daddy!" He would not accept my "I have to go to work" in response. But I promised him I'd play with him after work, and that since I had tomorrow (Thursday) off, I'd play with him all day then.

When I got home, I found a note left by my wife. She packed up all her things and all our kids' things and took them all to her folks, 300 miles away. She says that we have "irreconcilable differences", and that we need to "part ways and carry on with our separate lives".

I never saw this coming. I never saw this coming in a million years. Sure, we've had our arguments, what couple hasn't? But Christ... I never saw this coming.

I promised my son we'd spend all day together tomorrow... and he's used to me living up to those promises. I have no idea what I am going to do. None at all.

It isn't really new thread worthy but at least worth posting. Today, after 20 months, I picked up my novel I had written a rough draft for and have begun the editting process. I can't do the start to finish edit, instead one of the characters that appears in Chapter 18 started chattering to me. So I'm focusing on that area hoping that it will at least help me work out a better understanding of what is happening to improve other chapters.

Holey Cats. I spend three days doing chainsaw surgery, Frankenstein rearrangement, and thunderstorm re-animation to the persistence module, and the thing still works. Either I'm better than I have any right to think, or the bugs are gonna be subtle.

... and I'm not betting on me being better....

Whoa. I might post more details later, but my wife, Jenn, is leaving tommorow for Tylertown, MS. She'll be working on animal intake plus running the kitchen. (yea, room for bad jokes there, but she'll be cooking vegetarian)

I'm working in Supply Logistics. Wee! I was right, I didn't miss working on a computer.