A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Nothing like banging your head against the wall for a few hours on a problem connecting to a database that you JUST created, only to find out that your great idea when setting up the tnsnames.ora file of putting the loopback address for the host since the database is local to the client, and the client will likely change IPs since it is a laptop would have worked much better if you'd typed 127.0.0.1 instead of fat fingering it to 120.0.0.1...

Mightybec long ago crossed the line and became a troll; it's continued garbage like this, though, that has finally made me have to stand up and say so.

I'm calling a spade a spade. Mightybec is a troll, and as we all know, the only way to get rid of a troll is to ignore them. So I'd suggest everyone boycott him, by not replying to or responding to any of hist posts.

I am setting myself a challenge to reach 100 posts before my one year anniversary [Edit: 06 Nov 05] (I had over 100 posts at one time, but, you know, mumble, grumble, grumble). Which will be tricky, as the Free Time I have is very limited, making it hard to come up with content worthy of posting, even though the amount of posts required seems small.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/store/store.lasso?1=product&2=12

Delight Cthulhu cultists and confuse the rest of the world with the HPLHS Phnglui Shirt. "What part of ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?"

I'd almost be tempted to wear it to work (at a christian owned charity organisation) if I wouldn't get fired. But they wouldn't understand it either. :(

A bit surprised that Heroclix has stepped out of the comics and into the real world with some of its new powers. For instance, in the DC Icons collection Snapper Carr has the following power:

"Journalist: All Republican characters in play must spend their next action ranting about the liberal media. If a Republican character has already acted he must spend an extra action and push."

I love speaking to people that know they have way more experience than you and want to shove it down your throat. At least I was able to explain my minion status and kick it upstairs.

That and having to talk with the woman who has the same negative qualities as my mom. Ugh. Though my boss appreciated me not handing off the phone to him even though the woman had wanted to talk to him...

Since i didn't want to derail a thread.

Cats can live into the 20s. Probably similar to people in the 90s. The oldest I've personally encountered was 24.

Though we're not positive of the exact age of one of the cats here at BF, she came here in '85 and was at least 1, probably 2 or 3.

And not all cats want to be alone at death. At least I'm finding it rare.

On the MTV Rock Countdown, they just showed Weezer's new video, "We Are All in Love"- except that the song is actually called "We Are All On Drugs."

Because MTV will have 50 Cent and Britney Spears setting a bad example for how kids are supposed to grow up, but they won't even tolerate mention of the word, even in lines like "And the best of your days/Will all vanish in the haze/When you're [iN LOVE]".

F*** censorship.

JG

An old and common theme is nominating colorful terms for groups of things. Pride of lions, murder of crows, gaggle of geese, and so on.

I nominate two for "official" status into American English:

• a Deafening of Harley-Davidsons
  • a Constipation of RVs