A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I would just like to thank Shadowpup and Dr Anomaly for all their sterling work and thank Thag13 for what he started.

I do however bear a grudge against those responsible for the act of sabotage. This does not include Ben and Simon who have a duty as moderators to please as many people as possible at all times.

Josh and I had a chicken dinner from Boston Market today. It brought me back to a time when we ate most of our meals out, and an awful lot of them at this chicken place within a couple of miles of where we lived. Really good rotisserie chicken.

Anyway, one day, we'd thrown out our trash when the dog got loose in the house. Baby was a Doberman mutt, mostly Doberman. Also, very badly disciplined. Once she got loose, she immediately made a beeline for the trash and dug out our chicken bones.

Josh and I walked in, just in time to watch her chomp down the remainder of a drumstick.

Josh didn't hesitate; he plunged his hand into Baby's mouth, and down her throat. He grabbed a hold of the slimy chicken bone, and yanked it back out.

I have never witnessed anything more impressive in my life.

I'm studying at Uni as an external student, doing two subjects this semester. I did well on the mid-semester test for Java and I did real good on all the assignments (except for a mark I lost because the lecturer marked on something not in the assignment), so I'm feeling pretty confident. Plus I've studied Java before, so I already knew a lot of stuff in the course. In fact I know stuff that wasn't in the course. And this is supposed to be an upgrade to my qualifications?

So, the teaching period ends and swot-vac begins. The pressure of finishing all my assignments for two subjects is off, so I spend my evenings getting re-acquainted with my family, occasionally flipping through my course material. But then I'm reading the student message board the other day, and folks are talking about things I know almost nothing about. I figured I just needed to read my notes more closely, since it is vaguely familiar.

So today I sit down with the practice exam and find some questions on said things I know next-to-nothing about. I turn to my folder with the printouts of all five moduels from the website and go through them. Modules 1 to 3 were already covered by the exam so a quick glance polishes them off. Modules 4 and 5 I needed to look at for the last couple of assignments so there are no surpises there either.

Hmmmm. I look at the practice exam and the message board again. BNF? Quicksort? Parse Trees? Syntactic Analysis? What has this got to do with-

Uh-oh.

I check the subject website again. Scroll through the schedule. And there it is, tucked away at the bottom.

Module 6.

Suddenly I remember the announcement from the start of the semester. "Module slides for modules 1 to 5 are available on the website now. Module 6 will be available shortly." I'd downloaded and printed 1-5 then, but forgot to check back and get number 6. And it wasn't needed for the assignments (which means its GOT to be in the exam!), so I hadn't noticed it was missing. And the terms used on the discussion board were close enough to terms from last semester's Maths (trees, sorting algorithms, analysis of algorithms) and this semester's Databases (b-trees, BCNF) that they seemed familiar, so they didn't set off any alarm bells. Until now.

That was at 1:00 pm today.

The exam is 2:00 pm tomorrow.

I have noticed that I can be in my gameroom during the summer, while the air conditioner has the temprature down to 72F and I'll feel warm. Then during the winter I can be in the same room when the heater has it up to 72F and still feel cool.

Why is that? Psychosomatic maybe?

KISS really suffered as a whole when Peter Criss left. Then it became the Paul and Gene Show and for the most part I haven't been as impressed. Reunion was nice but it obviously didn't last with Peter and Ace being hired guns. Ah well. I still can listen to Dressed to Kill all I want.

My washing machine sounds like a Cylon during it's spin cycle.

You know, the old school Cylon centurions, that "whirr-whirr" sound their eyes made going back-and-forth.

I've looked for a glowy red eye going back-and-forth, but can't find it. I think it's hiding it, biding it's time. Waiting for orders from the dryer.

Which does have a glowing red eye, although it doesn't go back-and-forth. And it doesn't sound like a Cylon centurion, although I suppose a walleyed Cylon wouldn't, would it?

“Rocks back and fourth”

Pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets,

pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets,

pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets,

pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets, pink carpets.