A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

So I have developed a new method for quickly determing tip.

The old way was simple, multiply sales tax by two.

My new way requires one more step, but is much more fair.

Multiply sales tax by two, then subtract the cost for a single iced tea.

Cause sweet $*** if you're gonna charge $2.19 for iced tea, then the restaraunt just made enough off of sticking it to me to pay their wait staff a little more.

My wife brought home a 17" LCD flatscreen monitor yesterday, and I've hooked it up, replacing the stone age 13" CRT that has been laboring along since a slightly less old 17" CRT gave up the ghost a few months back.

The biggest change is getting used to the bigger screen real estate. 1280 by 1024 is a big change from what we had been using. I've had to rack up the screen label font to the "Extra Large" varieties...

Cyclone Monica

Well it just got serious.

(for those not in the know, see this thread)

I woke up and was told by my parents to "pack up cause we're leaving, the extended family is already there". I'll be in Katherine tonight. We will be leaving in approx 5 hours time.

I heard on the radio that Monica is expected to hit tomorrow morning. Current predictions is that it will loose one category of intensity -- a 'small' comfort.

So this is a goodbye for now. See you soon.

Re: Cyclone Monica

Well it just got serious.

(for those not in the know, see this thread)

I woke up and was told by my parents to "pack up cause we're leaving, the extended family is already there". I'll be in Katherine tonight. We will be leaving in approx 5 hours time.

I heard on the radio that Monica is expected to hit tomorrow morning. Current predictions is that it will loose one category of intensity -- a 'small' comfort.

So this is a goodbye for now. See you soon.

Best wishes!

I'm worried about my dad. He has been in the Hospital for most of the last 2 weeks with problems due to Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. As he is 88, a big part of me is worried he won't be coming home, instead, having to go to a nursing home because I or my mom can't take care of him.

If this happens I don't see dad living very long, as being stuck there and not at home would about kill him.

When you find yourself thinking your students are a bunch of ****ing morons, you should take a break from grading papers.

Of course, I do intend to ask them what they think the word "preceding" means. A majority answered a question as if they think it means "the next one".

Asking for a sanity check...

At what age did people on the boards here learn the cause for earth's seasons? Axial tilt, etc.? My memory is that I had learned this by 3rd grade, but I'm wondering if I'm completely off base....

And now for a Totally Gross Joke, passed to me by my Dad:

On the first day of Medical School, the Anatomy class was gathered around a cadaver.

The Professor began by saying:

"There are two important qualities you must have as a Doctor. First, you must not be squeemish about anything having to do with the Human Body."

Whereupon the Professor stuck his finger in the cadaver's rectum, and then stuck his finger in his mouth.

"Now all of you must do this", he said.

The class blanched, freaked out, but they all wanted to be Doctors, so they dutifully filed past and stuck their fingers into the cadaver's rectum, then into their mouths.

When all had done so, the Professor said:

"The second quality a Doctor must have is good powers of observation.

I stuck my INDEX finger into the body, but put my MIDDLE finger into my mouth. Learn to pay attention."