A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I am so re-addictged to Diablo II all over again, I went out and bought a second copy of the game so I can run it on my laptop and desktop. Why? So I can not only have the monsters be tougher and worth more EXP, but to make it easier to trade between my characters.

When I was a teenager, I would talk to myself, but I was way too self-consious about it to do so if I even thought anyone could overhear me. The teenage daughter of my best-friend, however, has no such reservations. She's downstairs, watching TV, talking back to it, and talking to herself, like she's the only one in the house - and I know she's smart enough to realize I can hear her in my room.

How I wish I was that self-assured at her age.

Hell, I wish I was that self-assured now.

Monday Night Football here again tonight. I am NOT making the mistake I made last time, of staying at work until the usual time, and getting snarled in the complete mess of traffic that ensues. I'm getting out of here at least an hour early.

What with snowfall here overnight, my bus took an alternate route this morning, giving me a new set of things to look at as it trundles its way. First impression:

The store whose neon signage now reads "DISCO IRE" needs to think about their building maintenance. Because it looks like they're competing straight up with the "Seattle Crab Company" across the street....

Cannon Fire. A symphony of light comes crushing down in an unerring arc of debris shattering all pretense and vestiges of egoism leaving bare the shards of an unimagined life brought about by the sound of spinning nothings and untold somethings.

And you smile.

Just a little bit.

Everyday.

Someone is quoting me in their sig ?

I just had an organism.

I know how you feel. It's happenned to me three times.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary claims my one head is getting bigger that both palindromedary heads

Once again I found myself in a rental car in a strange city, late, trying to navigate the unfamiliar roads. Several frantic on- and off-ramps later, I made it. The woman at the parking garage charged me $2 to get in. At least parking was cheap.

I rushed in to the hotel to find that I had arrived in the nick of time, and took a seat near the back of the room. It was the usual cheesy hotel event room setup--uncomfortable chairs with chrome frames and woven upholstery; folding tables wrapped in pleats. The layout was odd, though--there was a podium for the speaker, of course, but there were also a dozen additional podiums arranged facing it in neat rows.

The presenter came out, a pleasant-looking middle-aged woman with a hard edge in her voice, and it didn't take long for me to find out what the additional podiums were for. Before I knew it, I was called up to stand at one of them. Confused, I obeyed. As additional members were called up to man the rest of the microphones, my mind raced. Why was I being put on the spot like this? What had I been invited to? I could feel the collective gaze of the audience drilling into the back of my skull.

Then the speaker came up to me and announced that I was being recognized for my exemplary adherence to the tenets of her religion. As she affixed a sticker with the logo to my left wrist, and the congregation applauded, my mind reeled in horror. I was being inducted into their priesthood. As if to confirm this terrible realization, my eyes fell on the awards table at the far end of the room; they were not abstract pieces of art, but religious symbols.

I had to escape. Unable to form a coherent plan, I simply walked out of the room, as if I were hunting for the bathroom. Almost instantly I became lost in the warrens of service hallways and meeting rooms. Despite this I moved quickly, for I knew that they would be coming after me, and that they would induct me whether I wished it or not. Here was another meeting room, darkened, with ornate chestplates already arranged at each seat. There was a small outdoor space, hung with festive decorations that prominently featured their religious sign. I kept moving.

Finally I broke out into the well-manicured parking area. Quickly I located my rented Jeep Wrangler and sped away. I had escaped for the moment, but I needed to return the Jeep and get out of town. I drove the back roads of the city, looking for the place I'd rented it from. Finally I found it, on a badly-paved steep-sloping road behind a greasy spoon chowder house. It was so small I missed it the first time and had to go around the chowder house to get in. It was little more than a clearing big enough for six cars, with a shack that housed the attendant. I parked the Jeep and walked down the hill toward the parking structure.

It took a long time to find my car, since I had no recollection of where I'd parked it, and my near-miss with the cultists didn't help my state of mind any. But I found it, and away I went. I'd gotten away.

The drive home was long. I emerged from a tunnel onto the part of the highway that hugged the mountain. It was a beautiful view, the green mountain going up to my right, the deep blue of the harbor far down to my left. As I drove I saw a freighter and a large ferry headed into the harbor. Poor timing; they were going to reach the narrows at the same time. As I watched, the ferry sped up and made to cut around the freighter before they both got wedged in the opening. "He's not going to make it," Grant said. And he was right. The ferry turned hard to starboard, but it was too much rudder. With surprising speed, the ferry rolled, its superstructure striking the freighter before it turned completely inverted.

Grant and I knew we had to help, though we also knew we'd just watched thousands of people die. We were in the water in a flash. Grant had his full scuba outfit and went into the superstructure to look for survivors, but I had nothing, and there was not much I could do besides swim around the outside of the ferry scrounging for things I could use. I found a pair of swim goggles in short order, so I could see underwater. But I still didn't have so much as a snorkel, let alone the scuba gear that would enable me to enter the stricken ferry. So I kept looking.