A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

"... gusts to 65 mph."

Better make sure the trash cans make it in from the street.

Actually, it could be interesting for football tonight in Qwest Field because of this. The last Monday Night game there had nasty weather too.

I have read the thread titled "Targeting a Hex in the air" and I know what that's about, but a viable alternate interpretation of the thread title is a question about the tactical mechanics of counterspells in some High Fantasy magic systems. Aahhh, semantics.

. . . Met a clubmate on the bus this morning. He was not-so-freshly arrived from the Kendo World Cup and attached training camp in Taipei.

Damn, he's good! First swede in eighteen years to score an ippon on a japanese in competition! And he won the prize for Fighting Spirit! I feel pride by association . . . :D

So I read this article in the paper the other week about cholesterol. It quoted researchers as saying that the best cholesterol drug in existence was no statin but a vitamin--plain old niacin, B12. Why do they not not have everyone on massive niacin overdoses to boost their good cholesterol count? Because B12 supplements give 70% of the population headaches or facial itching. They're working on finding ways to block those.

But being me, I read the article as saying that I had a 30% chance of being able to just take B12 and having lots of good cholesterol. So I went to the drugstore and picked up a bottle, and took it right after lunch (it needs to be taken with food). Does my head hurt? No. Does my face itch? No. But everything else itches, especially the back of my neck. Damn. And it's bad enough that I can't do this every day. Maybe if I reduce the dosage...

What Would You Do: A poster who won't read non-internet sources, and who has demonstrated an inability or unwillingness to understand the sources you do direct him to, asks for citations. Forum rules forbid you from pointing out that said poster is apparently mentally ill or a complete *******.

My answer: I know I should ignore such a poster, but it's still annoying.

My brother has to put his dog down. It reminds me of 12 years ago when we put the family dog down. Since my brother doesn't have any kids my parent's often joked and called them grandpuppies, and I refered to them a furry nephews. But its times like this that we realize pets really are a part of the family. One of the reasons I don't get a pet like a cat or a dog is fear of losing the pet. (the other reason being I am not home enough to really care of a dog, a cat I might be able to handle) The news puts a bit of gloom on the week.