A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I went to an NBA basketball game last night, and the most impressive thing I saw had very little to do with basketball. Late in the game the mascot had this muzzle-loaded compressed air launcher. The butt end had a tube to a little (15" or so) gas cylinder that was carried on a sling at the hip. He/she had rolled up t-shirts, little plushie toys, etc. One would get stuffed into the launcher, an accompanying stooge would ram the thing down the barrel with a nice fiberglass-looking ramrod, the mascot points up into the area, and POW, the thing would get launched into the crowd, easily able to make it to the last row of the nosebleed seats ... we saw him bounce a plushie off one of the championship banners in the rafters from mid-court. Impossible to say how much noise it makes; it was at a sports event with a good crowd and we couldn't hear it.

I saw that launcher and it is :love:

It wasn't a handmade job. Nickel plated, solid construction, looks spiffy; someone out there manufactures these things. I've been casting around on the Web for them.

For a long time, I really did not go anywhere online, in the way of discussion forums, except here.

Now lately I've been spending a lot of time at a website that, like this, is "specialized interest" but not about role playing. Or at least, not in the same sense we mean it here. They also have a pretty extensive amount of discussion forums for people to read and post in.

The more I read there, the less inclined I am to post anything myself. And the more appreciative I am for what we have here. We must be doing something right.

Lucius Alexander

You can always tell it's really Lucius Alexander if he has his palindromedary with him.

Things that you don't think of (but should) until you see it in real life:

I visited some relatives who have livestock, both for their own consumption and for sale. Like most cut-and-wrap places, the butchered meat comes wrapped in white paper, with the exact cut indicated with a rubber stamp impression on the paper. Because of details in the underlying meat, the wrapping, etc., it can happen that only part of the stamp makes an impression on the package, so you get an incomplete label.

Still, I did about three double-takes upon seeing a package in the sink, thawing for dinner, that said, "ORK CHOPS".

You were, and still are, sick. Do not "hit the ground running in the morning."

Don't smack the ground sprinting after breakfast.

Don't spank the ground jogging by lunch.

Don't shove the ground swaggering in the late afternoon.

Don't nudge the ground walking after dark.

Don't even pet the ground crawling at bedtime.

Just ignore the ground sleeping all day!

Stay in bed, rest, and get better.

That is all.

Harry Potter and the Bordello of Desire

Harry Potter and the Last Samurai

Harry Potter and the Chondelles

Harry Potter and the Baked Alaska

Harry Potter and the Rajin Caijun

Harry Potter and the mystery of the Electric Clock

Harry Potter and the guy next to him stole ten bucks from my neighbor

Harry Potter and the Miami Sound Machine

As a kid I wanted to be able to bend steel bars in my bare hands.

As an adult, I think I might be able to manage it with two years of grip work.

Unfortunately, it's not a marketable skill.

Except for the travel and sex, adulthood has been a disappointment.