my girl has found another

and gone away

with her went my future

my life's been filled with gloom

day after day

I stay locked up in my room

I know to you it might sound strange

but I wish it would rain...

no, the ex hasn't met someone new. Its a great sad song and it's raining out.

I'm in a good mood, but I loves me my "Wish it would Rain"

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Car accidents are such a hassle.

Especially the aftermath.

DocO was in a minor one-car Sunday morning. (He's fine, little sore and stiff but recovering.) He's in a rental now curtousy of the insurance. However, after accessing the damage, the car is a total loss (I guess the cost to repair would be more than the current value of the car, and it's a 2001 Lincoln Town Car, in really good shape or so I thought).

I'm sure now we'll have at best a week to get him in a new car and get the rental returned.

*sighs*

Such is life.

Beast Boy is dead easy to write up, but way too much trouble for players at a convention game to handle. Yet, I need eight characters, and people will expect Beast Boy. I could hand him out with just Shapeshift and modest martial arts and explain "Well, a bear or lion can't achieve all that much anyway in a Supers world, so I made him a gimp".

Back in the 80s there was a battle over the lounge-room over rival formats VHS or Betamax.

Now the battle is repeating itself (or the media is hypeing it) with Blu-ray versus HD-DVD.

I think a much more important battle is taking place in the lounge-room and it is not about formats so much, but about brands -- Microsoft versus Apple.

Truly frightening historical speculation, pointed out in a book review:

Fermi did some experiments with neutrons and uranium in 1934, but didn't realize that nuclear fission was happening. That insight waited for Meitner and Frisch, five years later.

Speculation: what if Fermi had realized that nuclear fission was going on? Then the conceptual basis for the atomic bomb would have been there five years sooner.

Under such an alternative history, World War 2 might have been a nuclear war from its outset.

How not to write a novel.

But Dan Brown is all over the best-seller lists now. In paperback and hardback, and in many languages, he is a phenomenon. He is up there with the Stephen Kings and the John Grishams and nothing I say can conceivably harm him. He is a huge, blockbuster, worldwide success who can go anywhere he wants and need never work again. And he writes like the kind of freshman student who makes you want to give up the whole idea of teaching.

more here

Parents especially, but everyone, please take extreme care when bending down the corners on foil bottom Chinese food containers. Those things are deadly weapons. They ought to be registered. I touched one the wrong way tonight and as I was finishing placing the second bandaid I had to quick grab a third. A quick touch, and I was bleeding like a stuck pig.

So use extreme caution with those foil containers. I think it's a good idea to keep kids away from them.

Things I saw at Wal-Mart today:

• Kids with mohawks. Not one, but two six year olds, from different families with mohawks. One kid actually had shaved the sides of his head. I wanted to go tell him "You rock on, little rocker! :rockon:" I mean, how cool is that?

• A kid flying his action figure around. He was waving it through the air and making whooshing noises. I thought that was neat. It made me nostalgic. I haven't done that in months.

• Cell phones. Everywhere. One in three people was talking or texting on a cell phone. Ok, I exaggerate: it was one in two. This bothered me, but then it always does. I simply don't understand that need to be on the cell phone even if you're dragging screaming kids through Wal-Mart shopping.

• Dwarf puffers in the fish department. Very neat, but aggressive and bad for my tank.

• Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee Ice Cream. Holy crap. Diabetes be damned. If I must die, this is how I want it to happen. This is the best thing I've ever put in my mouth.

• Some turkey sausage I bought didn't make it home. Dang.

• Finally, it's too damned hot for a place that was freezing three days ago.

This is going to come as a shock: the public library does not sell stamps. I'd like to know who started that particular rumor. This wouldn't be an issue of course if the local post office had the foresight to ensure that their &%@#$&$ stamp vending machines were working on the busiest postal weekend of the damn year! (Second only to Christmas, of course.)

Likewise, at this particular branch we do not carry tax forms. It would be redundant because the IRS tax and state tax offices are less than a block away. Of course both of these offices are closed on this tax deadline weekend.

Somebody needs to be slapped. :mad:

Twice.

I like going to the Cherry Blossom Festival. I spent the afternoon watching a bunch of martial arts demonstrations: Karate, judo, kempo, iaido, wushu, and kenjutsu. It was a lot of fun, and it was the main reason I went there.

The high point of the day was buying a new sword. It's just a decorative wall hanger, but it's a nice addition to my collection. The fact that it was on sale didn't hurt either.

The low point of the day was this. While the teriyaki burger I ate was delicious, the sauce dribbled into my hand, then into the sleeve of my trenchcoat. Ah well, the coat needed dry cleaning anyway. And there are worse fates than smelling like teriyaki all the way home.