A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Looks like we're going to getting a new kitten. Maybe plural. We'll see what the prior residents think of this. Siegfried will do a lot of complaining but little more, I expect. Don't know about Felix.

Apparently, they make a confection in Poland of dark chocolate with half a shot of vodka in the center. While it's not a wholly unpleasant taste sensation, I am a lightweight when it comes to anything stronger than wine.

That'll teach me to unquestioningly take something just based on the words "dark chocolate."

A daily moment of zen

Yesterday I was out riding my bike, I was rode up an overpass and at the top the stoplight was red. I braked to a stop, put my foot down on the curb and turned to my right. The plain to my right had tall grass, swaying in the wind, the breeze picked up and cooled the sweat on my body. It only lasted a second or two, but it was a perfect moment of peace before the light turned green and I pedaled away.

I got an e-mail from my pastor today, expressing concern over the fact that he hadn't seen me and Josh for at church a while, and making sure nothing had happened to us.

My first thought, upon seeing it was addressed specifically to me and Josh: "Aw, crud! He's gonna tell on me!"

Apparently, they make a confection in Poland of dark chocolate with half a shot of vodka in the center. While it's not a wholly unpleasant taste sensation, I am a lightweight when it comes to anything stronger than wine.

That'll teach me to unquestioningly take something just based on the words "dark chocolate."

You don't know the power of the dark side.

The $1350 repair bill on a car I haven't even paid off yet is REALLY putting a damper on my resolution to be more positive and upbeat.

The loaner car, which has automatic windows and automatic door locks and cruise control, though, is taking some of that sting away.

And the fact that Josh and I have realized our need to conserve better so it won't be a bother to rely on just one car if this happens again has motivated us to look at the viability of carpooling, as we both work on the same end of town. I wind up at work early, and he winds up waiting and wasting time until I come to pick him up, if he can't pick up overtime.

That's provided his work doesn't **** up his schedule again.

As I sit here at work pulling my beard out, I have to ask: What is this new philosophy of let-the-bratlings-scream?? There is a little girl who has been screaming her little lungs out for ten minutes solid. The entire library can hear it. Mommy's reaction? None. It's not happening. She can't hear it, apparently.

I am really beginning to hate the little bratlings more and more. But the parents--AAAAAAARRGHH!!!

Note to self:

Slow down.

Be more careful.

You are NOT so good, or so lucky, or so skilled, or so F***in' wonderful, that you can't shoot yourself in the foot but good.

Lucius Alexander

And listen to the palindromedary once in a while.

I work with such weird people . . .

FYI' date=' J*** S******* showed me an odd ARS occurance. When adding skus to a transfer or a purchase order the number 241256 defaults into the item number field. Why 241256 is so special I don't know. Fortunately it is not an existing sku number and cannot be added to a PO or transfer if you tried. [/quote']That number is really not unusual, as it is the cubed root of 62, which when divided by Pi is the number of beers in a case up until 1917. And there you have it, another ARS mystery solved.

D****

Twenty years ago, who could have guessed that the most widely deployed application of computational linguistics and computational learning theory would be fending off nuisance e-mail?
-- Brian Hayes, from "How Many Ways Can You Spell V1@gra?", July-Aug 2007 American Scientist (not behind the subscriber wall)

In 1987 I wasn't concerned about nuisance e-mail, but I had already cut down my Usenet newsgroup use drastically -- but because of idiots rather than outright spam.

Clicked the link in the Bunny's sig...was uber sad to not see any kids/baby appearl with the bunny on it. I so would have snatched up a onsie or something for my still baking Keegan. :P

Also found a shirt at Cafe Press that I'm debating on getting...

zerolevelchar.jpg

I cannot for the life of me understand what would possess anyone to consider getting a mortgage from people who use such pervasive, unappealing advertisements. Women getting surprised dancing? Silhouettes walking on rooftops? A flash animated tattoo gun? Who the hell would trust these people with the deed to their house? I wouldn't tell them which pocket my wallet was in.

Since when does a D&D Paladin's Cure Disease ability have to abide by the real-world technically correct definition of disease? My GM pulled that one on me and I was a bit miffed -- "Oh, you can cure the Disease :eg: but not the Viral Infection. Also, if someone's not suffering any effects from an Infection, they don't have a Disease for you to cure."

Which means my character wouldn't be able to cure someone who is a carrier -- like Typhoid Mary. :thumbdown :thumbdown :mad:

Yeah, I know there is a technical real-world difference between the words "Disease" and "Infection". But the game is for 10 and up (at least that's what it used to say). Since when did we expect 10 year olds to know this technical hairsplitting crap?

To me, a disease *is* an infection. Regardless of symtoms or lack thereof. Just about all infectious organisms have an incubation period during which there are no symptoms. Are we to conclude that they are disease-free during this period?