A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

We make owning your first home exciting, fun, and....FREE!

I don't know if they're deliberately trying to insult my intelligence or what. I do know that they can't possibly be really intending to give homes away for free, so into the recycling bin it goes.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wonders why anyone thinks it's good business to gratuitously insult or annoy people.

Since when does a D&D Paladin's Cure Disease ability have to abide by the real-world technically correct definition of disease? My GM pulled that one on me and I was a bit miffed -- "Oh' date=' you can cure the [i']Disease[/i] :eg: but not the Viral Infection. Also, if someone's not suffering any effects from an Infection, they don't have a Disease for you to cure."

Which means my character wouldn't be able to cure someone who is a carrier -- like Typhoid Mary. :thumbdown :thumbdown :mad:

Yeah, I know there is a technical real-world difference between the words "Disease" and "Infection". But the game is for 10 and up (at least that's what it used to say). Since when did we expect 10 year olds to know this technical hairsplitting crap?

To me, a disease *is* an infection. Regardless of symtoms or lack thereof. Just about all infectious organisms have an incubation period during which there are no symptoms. Are we to conclude that they are disease-free during this period?

Your DM blows goats for cash! And you can tell him I said so.

I recognize that not everyone at my work has the same knowledge of computers and the programs we use as I do. But at the same time, do you really have to run something EIGHT TIMES if it didn't work the first time? How 'bout you check out the error message, READ what it says, then react to THAT, instead of just going, "Hm. Didn't work. Maybe it'll work THIS time!"

These are not stupid people I work with, but dang.

I ran my first triathlon on Sunday. It was a short course, I didn't do as well as I hoped, but it was good experience to get through the first race and prepare for the longer race this fall. Now I know what I need to spend the rest of summer training, just so long as I can actually find time to train as opposed to traveling for business (and GenCon :)).

Went to the closing ceremony for my daughter's school on Saturday. Seattle School District needs someone to walk through their administrative offices the way Arnold walked through the LA precinct house in the movie.

My Dad's Cousin and his Girlfriend of 45 years are at long last tying the knot tonight. In attendance are my Parents, another couple and a man who are close friends of the Cousin and his Girlfriend and Gaby, the Girlfriend's dog. The ceremony is taking place in the backyard of a local Justice of the Peace. The reception will be dinner out at a local Chinese restaurant.

Mazel Tov !

Last Thursday I was thinking of someone that I was playing music with over a year ago, and then yesterday came across directions to where the barn was where she and another friend (where he lives, as well) and I played. I tossed them as I can always get them again, when needed. Then today I got a note she was back in town and wanted to get together among us 3. Synchronicity....

Apparently, Charles Frazier was just in my place of employment. A co-worker, who greatly enjoyed Thirteen Moons, made sure to get his picture, after talking to him about the movie rights for his books, apparently. He's been showing off the picture all over the back offices.

And then there was Andy MacDowell at our Frugal store a few months ago, and some football coach whose name I can't remember, but a co-worker had me hold HIS camera so he could get in the shot with him . . .

Well, I'm glad that the store where I work has a good enough reputation that it's drawing in the rich and famous.

I was working on the landscaping this weekend. Making pretty good progress getting the irrigation system done. Then the main water line burst at about 6:00 on Saturday. Pop, just like that, 25 gallons per minute dumping into the street.

The city utilities guy showed up about an hour later and turned the main valve off. It slowed the flow of water to about 4 gallons per minute, but didn't stop it. He worked for a while trying to cut it off, but was unable to finish.

Spent most of the day Sunday trying to get someone to come out to the house to fix it. But, you know, it's Sunday. Soonest anyone can come out is Monday. Of course, we can't get much work done while we're dealing with this problem. Couple it with the fact that Sunday was the hottest day of the year (topping out at 101 degrees) and the fact that we've got no water in the house...

So we spent the night in a hotel. Thank god for showers.

I took Monday off so I could be there for the plumbers. They showed up around noon, fixed the problem about 2:00. So just shy of 48 hours, or just over 10,000 gallons of water. The good news is the break was just before my meter, so I'm not going to have to pay for all that waste.

But I didn't get the irrigation done, either. :(

I was working on the landscaping this weekend. Making pretty good progress getting the irrigation system done. Then the main water line burst at about 6:00 on Saturday. Pop, just like that, 25 gallons per minute dumping into the street.

The city utilities guy showed up about an hour later and turned the main valve off. It slowed the flow of water to about 4 gallons per minute, but didn't stop it. He worked for a while trying to cut it off, but was unable to finish.

Spent most of the day Sunday trying to get someone to come out to the house to fix it. But, you know, it's Sunday. Soonest anyone can come out is Monday. Of course, we can't get much work done while we're dealing with this problem. Couple it with the fact that Sunday was the hottest day of the year (topping out at 101 degrees) and the fact that we've got no water in the house...

So we spent the night in a hotel. Thank god for showers.

I took Monday off so I could be there for the plumbers. They showed up around noon, fixed the problem about 2:00. So just shy of 48 hours, or just over 10,000 gallons of water. The good news is the break was just before my meter, so I'm not going to have to pay for all that waste.

But I didn't get the irrigation done, either. :(

Sounds like The Irrigation is already done.

Got the flagstones laid, and got the lawn composted and seeded. Those were my biggest tasks. Now I have to finish putting in the drip lines (should be able to get to that tonight), finish the dry creekbed (should be able to get to that tonight too), put down the last of the gravel, dig a hole for the tree, and seal the deck.

After that, we're just waiting for the grass to spout! :celebrate