A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I think I have finally figured out why Firefly failed to hook the legions of American SciFi fans during its brief run on Fox in 2002. Whenever I discuss the series and the movie with my peers, middle age male long time science fiction fans, we all agree on the basic marketing flaws, not of the Fox network, but of Firefly fans.

Instead of talking up the spaceships and shootouts, cool backdrop universe, complex and believeable characters, invariably, the twenty something, mostly female fans would enthusiastically reveal that since it was a Joss Whedon project and since he was the moving force behind Buffy and Angel, it just had to be a winner.

For future reference, getting the interest of most older science fiction fans for a series or movie should probably avoid extolling the virtues of campy teen cheerleaders who are usually fully dressed and metrosexual vampirotica relationships as proof of the creator's genius. Be sure and highlight bloodthirsty reavers, the war connection, smart mouthed pilot, hot babes and the running from the law and really bad guys when highlighting a project such as Firefly.

Just a suggestion.

I wonder if I was a celebrity would I be a Lindsay Lohan, Pink or Rosario Dawson.....

I suppose I could make an online quiz....

crap, I'm too sleepy. The world will have to live without one more crappy 'which celerity are you' quiz.

"Abraham Lincoln did not go to Gettysburg having commissioned a poll to find out what would sell in Gettysburg. When will we have the courage of Lincoln?"

Robert Coles

"Well, at a guess, it will be some time after we collectively decide that we WANT someone with the courage of Lincoln, and stop rewarding politicians who tell us what we want to hear and stop punishing those who tell us what we don't want to hear. So I don't expect it any time soon."

Lucius Alexander

"The problem with this Human concept 'Democracy' seems to be that most of you don't actually want it..."

The Palindromedary

I've been feeling kind of "off" today. Just a little bit not-right.

Then I saw

. The audio isn't very good, so here's a quote from Neil Gaiman's blog:

Finally the mad gleam in Jonathan [Ross]'s eye focussed on me, and he announced that we would now celebrate the Eisners and comics... by re-enacting Madonna and Britney Spears' famous kiss at the MTV music awards...

Better now. And I couldn't possibly explain why.

As of last night, I am back in Karate again. It was more than a year layoff.

Ever burn STUN for END until you reached 0 ? :idjit::ugly::eek:

I could only do half the class, yet I was still panting after showering, changing and arriving home. It was lots of Cardio. I surprised myself with being able to jump rope after about 3 decades. I started fast until I got the hang of slow again. Whew ! We also had to jump on and off the step. I did not try that.

When we did Kata, I forgot Heian one. :doi: I soon remembered. Two was no problem. Those were the only ones I did. My next test will be five. I don't remember it at all and my Kata book is packed already.

It will be a long, hard road. My junk food diet must go as my body won't do that on restaurant food, takeout and goodies. As many pounds as possible must go. If I keep going, I think they will. All those stairs in our new place will help too.

Wish me luck !