A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

"The last time I gave an interview they told me to just relax and say what I really felt. Ten minutes after the broadcast I got transferred to an outpost so far off the starmaps you couldn't find it with a hunting dog and a ouiji board."

-Commander Sinclair, Babylon 5

The other day, Josh and I were at Waffle House, and we heard a great belly laugh from across the room. I muttered something about someone being amused, and Josh said, "Or he just took over a small country."

This was the same night we both wordlessly stared at a hula hoop hanging on a coat hook, decided there was no possible explanation we could think of for that being in a greasy spoon chain restaurant that would make ANY sense, and changed the topic of conversation. Josh was more off-put by it than I was, which somehow amuses me.

In any case, we were feeling punchy.

I've been toying with writng an rpg just as a personal exercise (who here hasn't?). I mull over mechanics while I have a free moment, and I've been wondering what I should call it. Last night an awesome game title came to me:

Mary Sue: the RPG.

Not exactly what I was working on, but I may have to create this now :D

Dillemma: My regular grocery store doesn't carry the new Haagen Daas flavor Sticky Toffee Pudding that I've been dying to try. The expensive store, however, does. The problem is that if I go by the expensive store on the way home to get the ice cream, it will melt while I'm shopping at my regular cheap store. If I go shopping at my regular cheap store first, then I must drive miles out of my way for ice cream, compounding the hassle and the guilt. Stupid ice cream.

I wrote an email today I'm particularly proud of. Thought I'd share.

It has occurred to me that we are having difficulties communicating with our patrons on a specific issue. The word 'lobby' seems to be creating no small amount of confusion. I'm sure we've all experienced the blank stare upon informing clients that the restrooms are in the 'lobby.' The Pate room location is hopelessly vexing! Therefore I have consulted with certain references and compiled a list of alternatives.

1) antechamber

2) vestibule

3) ingression

4) narthex

5) squat pad

My personal favorite is 'ingression,' but I decided that this issue is too large to implement without further discussion.

So much to do this week. Clean the house, move furniture, and decorate for the baby shower. And on Friday, I will be officially 2 months from my due date. It's gone so quickly. Before I know it, Keegan will be old enough for Daddy to teach him to game. :P