A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I came home today to a "your rent has not been paid, contact us today or we padlock the apartment" notice.

As I paid my rent in person this month, and got a receipt, I am more than a little ticked off.

Especially as this is not the first time this has happened.

Imagine being 1000 words away from finishing the climax of your story.

Imagine having unbearable pain in your wrist writing this one post.

Imagine not having enough money available to invest in a new keyboard that is better on your wrists.

There... you have imagined my day.

OK, I just have to share this one. Out of the blue, the management company that owns our office building announced they would be hosting an "afternoon ice cream social" for everyone who works in the building. So between 2:00 to 3:30, we were invited down to the courtyard out front to eat ice cream and listen to some band they'd brought in. OK. Seems like a nice enough idea in theory.

Except after weeks of 90+ degree heat, today naturally turned out to be cool and drizzling. So they moved it indoors -- specifically to the 25th floor, currently vacant. I walk out of the elevators onto an empty floor, no interior walls except for the two elevator shafts. Nice view of downtown, but not exactly a space that screams social gathering. And of course the AC is cranked, so it's not exactly ice cream weather inside either. At one end of the space are four a cappella singers trying hard to be The Nylons, with marginal success. At the other end are two staffers dispensing popsicles and ice cream sandwiches from small portable freezers.

In between, office workers stand around in self-consciously segregated clumps (no mingling with folks from other offices!), barely listening to the music while they continue their normal water-cooler conversations, grateful for the break from work. Every few minutes, a Management Type would emerge from the elevator, shake a few hands, accept an ice cream bar, eat said ice cream with an air of forced politeness, and then bolt for the elevator after one song is over. And everytime someone headed for the elevators, the singers felt obliged to call out "Hey, don't go yet, we've still got more songs!" Thus obliging the fleeing worker to make an awkward apologetic wave, chuckle self-depreciatingly, and gesture at their watch. :straight:

My description probably doesn't do justice to just how bizzare and surreal the whole scene was. But I've got to find a way to use that scene in a game somewhere.

We had our 32 week doctor's appointment yesterday. The doctor did an ultra-sound to estimate the babies current weight. He said anything between 3 and 4 lbs is what he'd want to see. Anything below 3 or over 4 would be too low or high respectively.

Keegan weighs approximately 4lbs 15oz as of yesterday. O_O If things I keep reading are right, I'm gonna have to deliver a 9+ lb baby.

"Freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do."

-- Rudy Giuliani, in a 1994 speech

Uh-oh.

Josh and I think we spotted our missing cat at a neighbor's house, so we schlepped over with a picture of said cat, and knocked on the door. No answer, so we called to the cat in question, whose ears perked up at our cat's name, and who looked like he wanted to come trotting up to us, but was wary, as a cat who's been missing for three months might be.

The woman then came out, and told us she owned ten cats, and she hadn't seen ours.

Josh thinks she's lying. I kind of hope she is, because at least then we'd KNOW. We could live without getting him back, but the not knowing part is driving both of us batty.

Further news on the useless computers here at work... after a total loss of network yesterday, and who knows how many days of productivity system wide, email works long enough for me to get this message.

"As you know we have been suffering from several internet related issues this week. We have discovered that our main filtering server was being used as a spammer..."

I'm speechless. Perhaps next time everybody in the entire system says there is a problem, you'll look into it. Perhaps next time there's a major problem you'll even notice it before everyone else. It's not like you guys work on the computers, too. Perhaps next time you integrate a major upgrade you can test it a little bit more to make sure it's going to work. Perhaps you can even test to make sure it's secure. Perhaps that's too much to ask.

I have access at this minute. A dollar says I lose access within the next half hour.

I'm so angry I am about to vomit. Anybody know of a good librarian job out there?

A woman walked into the library where I work and guiltily deposited a paper bag on the counter. "It was the dog," she whispered as I removed the remains of a much chewed book. "It often happens," I said. "Yes, but look at the title," the librarian replied. It was Dog Training My Way by Barbara Woodhouse.

On one hand, I now understand where all my change has been going.

On the other hand, how in the world did I go as long as I did without realizing I've got a hole in my pocket I can put my thumb through?

Man, the HERO site is laggy tonight. I've had to wait over five minutes for many pages to load, and others loaded right off. And it didn't correlate to thread size. One that took forever was a picture thumbnail, and several responses took forever, while the LRTE loaded quickly.