A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

The washing machines in the communal laundry room for the apartment complex I live in have gone steadily downhill since the new owners took over. I am fed up to *here* playing Linen Roulette with machines that are never marked as broken though about half of them seem to be.

So I just bought a $550 Kenmore portable washing machine from Sears. This will also save me from lugging my laundry all the way across the apartment complex, and I can do my laundry whenever I want to, not just 8AM-9PM.

. . . I've got the urge to go back to college. Gonna take Högskoleprovet again -- it's been ten years since the last time. I think it's kinda like the US SATs, and the last time I took it, ten years ago, I managed 1.9 out of 2.0, where 1.0 is the average "grade" of all participants. About 1.5% of all test takers got 1.9 or 2.0 -- plus, now I'm eligible for an additional .5 bonus for five years or more of work experience.

Work is just lovely. They decided to hire back some jerk who bascially told them off when he was given the option to take two weeks off and come back with a better attitude, or be fired. This guy thinks he owns the world. It's quite the situation really.

Co-worker and I will be moved into the conference room in the next few weeks so that they can rearrange the programming department, which means they'll be moving 2, maybe 3 people to where co-worker and I currently reside. They say our move to the conference room is only temporary (as we will be building an additional building because we are currently outgrowing the one we are in) as co-worker, myself, our boss, and owner of company will be the only ones moving into the new building. However, temporoary could be a year a more still.

Lovely place I work, I tell ya. :D

Last year I took myself hostage and barricaded myself into my house.

I threatened to shoot the hostage and anyone who came near.

Nobody came....

After about a week I managed to negotiate for my releace.

And surrenderd peacefully to myself.

If you have multiple personalitys and threaten to kill youself, is it a hostage situation?

Many moderately intelligent, moderately well educated people assume that everyone around them must be half educated morons. Worse, the less people know of a given topic, the more likely they are in general to overestimate their own knowledge.

Something should be done about this, preferably involving over the top, cinematic violence.