A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

The way my central air conditioning and heating is set up in my new place, I sweat upstairs all Winter and freeze all Summer. I use summer sheets and one blanket in the Winter and a quilt comforter in the summer. Now it is perfect weather out and I am freezing.

I have a fairly ginormous Skaven army (for Warhammer FB). I got it a few years ago, in dribs and drabs, mostly used. I've got something like 40 plague monks, about 60 clan rats, 60 or so slaves, 9 rat ogres, maybe 10 poison wind globadiers, maybe 40 night runners, a couple of warpfire throwers, a lightning cannon, a Vermin Lord, a doomwheel, 20 sturmvermin, a warlord, a bunch of assassins, and a few grey seers. Oh, and all my units have standards, musicians, and fangleaders. Like I said, a ginormous army.

Fought about a dozen battles with it, lost every single one -- usually very badly. So I got disillusioned with them and haven't played since. They've been taking up space in my closet for years now. Maybe a third of it is painted, but that third is painted very well.

I heard that one of the local hobby stores is having a "Warhammer Trade Day" tomorrow, where folks can bring their unwanted stuff and trade for it or sell it. I'm bringing my ratties, hoping to sell or trade 'em. Wish me luck!

The weekend is over, I'm ready for a vacation.

Friday I took off work, woke up, went to breakfast with a friend, returned home, mowed my lawn and then packed for the weekend arnis seminar. At about 2:30 my friend showed up and we loaded up my car so I could drive to Chicago, at a little after 7 we rolled into town, checked into the hotel and collapsed. At 9 we headed over to the school for a two hour training session with the instructor. Got back to the hotel after 11, cleaned up and wrote notes from the training session and went to sleep.

Woke up just before 8, got dressed and headed out to help our instructor with a demo he was giving at a different school. From 9 until about 1:30 I helped teach the demo. Left at about 2:00pm, which gave us two hours to eat before our seminar started. No problem, except for the construction, after an hour we finally got to the mall for lunch with our instructor. Quick bite to eat and back to the school. 2 hours of rope fighting which left me with some nasty bruises and rope burns, followed by two hours of buno (ground fighting), which left me tired. Back to the hotel, shower, grab dinner, write notes, collapse in exhaustion.

Sunday morning, wake up just before 8, watch Burn Notice on TV until 9, get dressed for the seminar. Arrive and begin training at 10, two hours of arnis. 2 hour lunch, 2.5 hours of knife fighting, and seminar ends. Now its just a five hour drive back home. :) Get home at 10, get to sleep, wake up and get to work by 7 on Monday morning, aches and pains everywhere.

The Internet has all kinds of weird stuff in it, and new varieties get discovered every day. Today's example: If I had not stumbled upon it while looking for something else, I would never have believed that there would be a page of The Top 100 Astronomy Dark Colored Maternity T Shirts. I mean, how small of a niche can you market to?

I maintain my company's mailing list. From time to time, I'll see some funny coincidences between people's names (like a Mrs. Lane on Super Way). Others, I'll get a flash of inspiration typing up an entry.

I just typed in the information for a Myra J. Vice, and now I wish I had a pulp campaign to drop her into.

April 30. Beltane. I remembered that today, although I usually forget. On my way to work, a raven flew past me. I heard the raven cawing on my way home from work. I would have ignored it on any other day.

The wind was so strong, it blew the front door of the office open. Considering the door has a heavy iron frame, it had to be a really strong wind.

I noticed a stork fly down to the building next door. Considering you don't see these birds in San Francisco, that's unusual. Maybe it was lost or had escaped from a wildlife preserve.

The wind was blowing hard last night. It woke me up a little bit after midnight. I thought it was going to blow right through the window. I was hoping it was going to blow some rain our way, but it was completely dry at home, and there was just the barest sprinkling on the way to work.