A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Today was 'Staff Development Day,' a day when we close the library to the public and all come together for some sort of seminar or other crap. On this day, I was asked to teach one of the seminars: Web 2.0 and Libraries. Twice. Only 45 minutes each.

Well, I am pleased to say that it went extremely well. The attendees in my standing room only sessions were very complimentary. I'm running a little high right now because of the success of these classes.

One of the points I made was that there are a lot of technologies being used by libraries around the country that we simply can't implement at this time. As if to prove my point, the entire network here at the headquarters library died while I was at lunch. The bridge I intend to burn? Our clueless IT manager. He couldn't make our system run right for one single day if his very life depended upon it.

I'm trying not to let it get to me, however, for I have a job interview on Monday! :rockon: My supervisor was very impressed with my presentation and strongly advised I take a copy to my interview. It's so cool to have your supervisor in your corner.

I'm on antidepressants. It's an experiment to see if it's my brain chemicals to blame for why I'm always so frickin' tired. Consequently, I've been a lot more mellow, and generally content.

I do have a history of depression, but I feel I've done a pretty decent job of keeping the symptoms under control. One such technique is by not dwelling on the depression, itself. With the help of the medication, I can actually look back on my past behavior.

And I realized something really, really weird. Once upon a time, having bad things happen delighted me. It lightened my mood, and was a huge relief. Why? Because then I had a REASON to feel as awful as I did.

I think I've made this revelation before, but I thought of it again today.

Looks like yesterday & today are going to be the first back-to-back nice weather days of CY 2008 here. About 3 weeks ago we had a couple of inches of snow adorning the huge red blossoms of the rhododendron in the back yard.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Did you know that Flash has its own cookies that can track you even if you manage your browser cookies?

Did you know that advertisers are aware of this and exploit it. It is like then having a noir detective rummaging through your web experience.

to view your Flash cookies type "Flash player settings manager" into Google and use the first link. it will lead to a tabbed user interface (4th tab if I rememeber) and from there you can view - and delete - any Flash cookie you don't want stored on your computer.

More information here: http://phonedifferent.com/2008/03/flash_redux_their_plugin_your.html

I'd forgotten how much hospitals sick. The food is bad and generally hard to get. The room is full of state of the art gear yet it's impossible to get comfortable. When you need a nurse there are none to be found, but when you don't need them they're barging in every ten minutes to poke this or ask that, making sleep impossible.

New CBS Crimetime Adverts

CSI: Ignore the franchizes. Please.

CSI: Miami "Hi. I'm David Caruso. You should watch this show despite the bad writing and slipshod supporting cast because I'm really edgy and have this sun-glasses thing I do to make corny one liners turn out creepy."

CSI: New York. "People in New York are too tough to shave or use proper grammar or follow police procedure or anything."

NCIS: "No, really. It makes total sense that the Mossad, a foreign intelligence agency with fewer than 3,000 employees world wide would be able to spare someone from its smallest, most sensitive, most elite unit to foot-dangle as a liaison with America's Naval Criminal Investigative Service. What do you mean 'dissonant?' Of course the Federal Government would allow someone who isn't a citizen to be a sworn agent with a gun and a badge and make arrests, execute warrants, and interrogate military personnel! DIA? Who? That's a stupid acronym anyways. No. Listen: The fact that she's a foreign national actively employed by a foreign intelligence service doing black bag assassination and sabotage work wouldn't keep her from working in a military law enforcement job that requires a top secret clearance and access to compartmentalized data. NOFORN? Never heard of it. Give me a break. Admit it, you made that one up. Oh, come on. Of course all Mossad Agents sleep with their guns in their hands - and no, Israelis aren't expressive, emotional, in your face people. They walk around like Seattleites hiding their emotions and never letting anyone know how they REALLY feel. Especially the women! What do you mean 'discipline?' No Israeli ever followed orders - and that goes double for the Mossad. You obviously don't know anything about Israelis. They all have issues with authority and disobey orders. I mean, come on, that had to be the number one recruiting requirement for the Mossad's special operations directorate. A COMPLETE INABILITY TO TAKE DIRECTION AND OBEY ORDERS. That, and being a sniper. All Israeli assassins are snipers. They never use explosives or poison or other means. Snipers. Hot middle eastern chicks with big rifles who lapse into archaic dictionary hebrew when they are under pressure and need a good randy spanking from Mark Harmon to keep them in line - that's the Mossad. And no, I won't explain what an MIT graduate is doing in a military job dominated by maverick warrant officers who started out as enlisted men for crap pay when he could be working for a major federal agency for better money; or when "goth girl," became acceptable navy dress because the forensics people for NCIS are actually navy personnel, not civilian contractors. And you know, the navy is so desperate that it doesn't require the few civillian contractors who do work for NCIS to follow a dress code, or anything. And no, I won't dignify your assertion that its nigh impossible for a marine who saw duty in Iraq II to bug out and become not only a police officer but a homicide detective before coming back to the military to work for NCIS. And all since this last Iraq dustup started. Its not like you have to be a street cop first, or that becoming a homicide detective is a career achievement that takes years to get your foot in the door on. JUST SHUT UP AND WATCH THE DAMNED SHOW!!!"

...And no, really, people in Miami never want lawyers.

So I had to go to traffic court this morning. I got a ticket for expired tags. Sadly, this is not the first time that has happened to me. (I'm quite the rebel.) When this happened to me in Florida, it was only a warning ticket and I had 15 days to renew the tags... with a hefty penalty.

Here in North Carolina, I got a ticket for $25...but $120 in court costs, bringing the ticket to $145. Yikes! And that's before renewing the tags and god knows what penalty is there. I go to renew the tags...and there's no late penalty. None. Very nice. I go to traffic court this morning to prove I renewed...and it was dismissed entirely! Extremely nice.

So I paid to renew my tags five months late, and there was no penalty other than 30 minutes in court. Things may be looking up. :celebrate