A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

My second plane flight in a month is tomorrow.

You may think this is no big deal.

Starting my senior year of college I developed debilitating panic attacks which started as stage fright (opera performance major) and quickly grew to invade the rest of my life. Now, almost 10 years post graduation I have beaten back this disorder and, until the first of this month, flying on air planes was the very last serious panic/anxiety trigger I had.

The flight at the beginning of the month was just under an hour. A hop, really from MD to OH to visit friends. It broke the ice, though, and tomorrow I fly from MD to Washington State to visit family. I'm excited, a bit nervous, but mostly looking forward to it.

Wish me luck. :)

Pet peeve time. Doing the crossword at lunch I came across this clue:

"They're spangled on the banner" which has the answer STARS.

This is of course WRONG. The stars are not spangled; the BANNER is spangled, spangled with STARS.

For some reason that is really annoying.

To be fair, everything is really annoying to me today.

Had a tooth pulled yesterday. First time. Dentists had been telling me to get it pulled for twenty years, or it would cause problems. Kept putting it off. It caused problems.

Now I can't eat solid food for a few days, which results in me taking in too many calories, as liquids just aren't filling. Couldn't exercise yesterday, won't be able to exercise today, probably shouldn't exercise tomorrow but I probably will.

I know I've been lucky with my teeth; still bugs me that they're finally starting to show problems now.

On the flip side, I now know that I hate nitrous oxide, so that's a plus.

What's weird about Middle-Earth is that it's so empty. Huge swaths of the map are virtually unoccupied by any intelligent lifeforms--Arnor and Eriador hold a scattering of human and hobbit towns and farms; Rohan is a large steppe lightly occupied by the Riders; all of Rhun is apparently vacant. Gondor and its allies fielded maybe 15,000 living fighting men at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, the most epic battle in the entire Third Age--about as many as were lost at Antietam. By comparison, the Allies landed ten times that number at Normandy on D-Day, and two million men fought at Stalingrad.

For a long time, I have been beating myself up in my head because I am unemployable, but after all the comments made by others on this board about what H*lls their jobs are and how much they hate them, maybe I should be grateful for what I've got.

Today I went to the Employment Department in Corvallis to find out why, after being told I was eligible for unemployment, I was not receiving a check. A sweet older woman sat me down with a phone that only called the people I needed to talk to. But it was busy and I was on hold for about 35minutes. Not a problem. I spoke with a nice gentleman who informed me that my claim was still being investigated. I would be called in 2 weeks. He told me to keep requesting my checks every week and how to do so. That way when the investigation is over, if I am eligible, I will receive checks for all four weeks I've been unemployed.

And my pension pay out will be on the 1st of September. So I've got about 2 grand to last me 2 months. I think I'll be hitting the Ramen storage unit I've accumulated just to make sure I'm okay, or you know, get a job.

At any rate I know what I've gotten myself into and where I stand. That's nice.

I'm not a professional athlete. I never wanted to be a professional athlete. Yet, I'm vulnerable to advertising that tells me I should strive for the physical performance of a professional athlete.

There's something wrong with this picture.

I don't think we have a Batman: The Dark Knight thread yet. so I'm posting this here.

It is a video of the cast and director talking about the movie, mainly Heath Ledger's performance and the rumours around his death. Christian Bale rigorously defends his friend and co-star. Worth watching.

Watch here

Sometimes I think it's pointless for a man my age to be spending time doing chin-ups, pressing, pulling, doing grip work, stretching, Krav Maga, all this other nonsense. I'm probably never going to need to lift or move anything as heavy as I train with, and I haven't been in physical danger in the last ten years, give or take. I probably won't be in physical danger again; I live a quiet life. Joe Average gets on fine without exercise or watching his diet.

On the other hand, Joe Average isn't looking at a family history of heart disease and diabetes. And he probably exercises more than I think he does.

Still seems pointless, though.

I'm probably just depressed. Normally I enjoy this stuff, which is justification enough on its own.

So once again it falls to me to save the company from the mistakes of my coworkers. This time their negligence could actually result in a lawsuit. It's hard to describe this feeling. Resignation? Cynicism? General despair?

You know, just one of these days I'd like to spend maybe a week doing my own job rather than fighting fires other people inadvertently set.