A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Today, a minivan drove by. A cute girl in her early twenties shouted to get my attention. I looked over. She was trying to show me a piece of paper; she had written something on it. I couldn't make out what it said, but I think it was E=MC squared. The minivan made a turn and was gone.

Life is strange.

The best Roleplaying I ever did, according to OddHat, was when I played Captain Robot, a 13 year old boy who could transform into a giant robot. Our late friend Mike's PC was his uncle and was forever trying to keep him out of trouble. Once he wanted to wear a ridiculous costume to an important event. I said "But Uncle Paladin, all the kids are wearing this !" The outfit was beyond ridiculous. Another time it was "I'll save you, Uncle Paladin !" and I pulled him out of a snowbank by the foot screwing Paladin up somehow. I forget now, it's been 15 years. I do miss Mike.

*Whew*

I spent the better part of today..er, looking for work!

>.>

<.<

<.>

>.<

ouch.

Okay I spent most of today and the clock on the wall says 2:51, correcting the spelling errors in my Else Earth Comic Book Universe edition Olympians. I am tired. I corrected every one, updated a few to be more consistent with the others, and added Poseidon.

I'm going to try to hammer out some more of them and then start a new thread.

Man, I can make me some expensive characters.

Just looked at Alicia Silverstone's "Vegetarian" advert for PETA.

Her bone structure was nice in the ad, and she's young and nicely made up. On the other hand, her fat to muscle ratio is not particularly good. She's not quite skinny-fat, but you can see it coming in her future. There are fit, strong, healthy vegetarians; that doesn't seem to be the body image vegetarian organizations want to project.

I suspect it has something to do with the wider culture's tendency to idolize youth, and the tendency for most women to aspire to looking young but not athletic.

Also, for the record, I have nothing against vegetarianism as a philosophy or political stance. I even think it can work as a healthful diet. Most American practitioners, however, are if anything eating just as unhealthful a diet as they were before deciding to go vegetarian. White flower, white sugar, deep fried foods; seriously, from a health point of view, there is nothing to be smug about when you remove meats from that equation.

Also, if you love the males in your life, don't feed them soy isoflavones. The estrogenic effects are the entire point when people talk about soy's health "benefits"; those estrogenic effects are hideous news for male health. Yes, you somewhat cut the risk of heart disease; you also boost the risks of obesity, muscle loss, depression, and impotence. Not a great trade.

Dear God in heaven, can we please have one solid seven day week without guests, strangers, or visiting 'family' in the #$#$Ing house. This whole summer, we have no had one solid week without such. I am going insane here.

So yesterday at lunch I read two articles about people who embezzled funds from the organizations they worked for.

The first, a woman who worked for the Estacada Firefighters embezzled 1.3 million dollars from a tiny community over the course of 20 years. She apparently used the money to underwrite loans for houses and cars and college for members of her family. She will serve 10 years in prison with two years probation. She has paid back about $400,000.00. She says she feels horrible for what her actions have caused.

The second, is a Pastor(?) at a Portland area church who was in charge of the church's charity fund. They helped people by giving them money for rent and other needs. He claimed confidentiality (citing the people who needed the help were embarrassed by that fact) and skimmed 300,000.00 to, apparently, gamble, do drugs, and hire hookers. He has admitted no guilt but has checked into rehab and is trying to work for another church (outside of Portland) to redeem himself. The church is hoping to make the courts order him to disclose what he has done to future employers. Dunno if that's even possible.

I'm fairly certain that I have become jaded and cynical. I personally think that they are sorry only that they got caught. But it was an interesting read for lunch.

Do (law) lecturers want students to read the unit outlines? If "Yes" then why the !@#$% do they use Arial Narrow as the main font? Who wants to read a document with Arial Narrow? Arial is bad enough as sans serif body text as is not as good as serif typefaces, but Arial is just simply -- bad. And why would anyone willingly choose to use a narrow font for body text?

So in conclusion: 1) In a document meant to be printed, there are better choices for body text than a sans serif typeface, like a serif typeface; 2) Arial is simply a poor choice regardless (see the Scourge of Arial, and Helvetica the film), and 3) the use of a narrow font would have to be on par with use of all caps as far as design/desktop publishing mistakes go. In short, this document, my unit outline hits the home run.

This document would have to be one of the worst I've come across at my time at university (15 years), it has to be unequivably "student hostile". And if that is not all, the lecture presentation uses pastel pink as a background colour!! *sigh*

[sarcasm] welcome to legal organisations, I am an acedemic of law, I have no concept of making readable documents. My documents require you to have the talent Universal Translator to comprehend them. [/sarcasm]

if anyone is mildly curious to how bad the document is, let me know. :)

When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be grown up.

-- C. S. Lewis

I'm working on my fourth My Little Pony conversion. If I get her done by Gencon, I'm bringing her along. Best case scenario, I'll have both her and her twin sister finished by then, but I'm not holding my breath. Everything else is mostly done, but rerooting the hair is a long, difficult process. I'm pretty sure I can get one done, but two is another story.

As The Office Turns:

Mike dislikes Calvin. Calvin's mad at Will. Jeff's mad at Will too. Will's upset with the whole inside sales department. Kellee's annoyed with Jeff. Jay said he was quitting, but he's still here. And of course no one is happy with management.

Yawn.