A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I pretty much knew I would hate this job when I took it. Now I'm being demoted, technically, but I won't have to put up with as much crap from people, and I'm not taking a pay cut, and I won't have to travel as much, and I won't have to move, and I'll have less responsibility.

So why do I feel as though I've failed?

So I went by the old WaMu Jp Morgan Chase branch today to see my friends and deposit some birthday money.

My buddy Corby was recently chosen to be the assistant manager (after they fired Carla) and he was heading out on his way home. I asked how everything was going, sounds like the transition will be very smooth for the customers (if all goes according to plan and it rarely does). I asked how the new job was treating him. That was a different story.

My former manager apparently has heart trouble (if I was really petty and vindictive I would say I was shocked she had one, but I'm only marginally petty and vindictive so this sentence will have to do) she's not allowed to drive while they do tests and since she lives 40 miles away she hasn't been to work in a week. And they've not hired a new Personal Finance Representative (New Accounts Person) to take Corby's place. He's been running the show, opening all the new accounts (and the college students are back in town) and has yet to actually become the assistant manager.

Then I went in and talked with my former co-workers and they were telling me how the customers who don't really know what's going down have been coming in and worried that there would be a freeze on their funds or something and a few who've threatened legal action (or at least claimed they would hold the tellers personally responsible - whatever that means). It's kind of sad and I feel a bit guilty about how happy I am not to be going through that. It takes a bit of the edge off of my employment situation anyway.

Yesterday was my day off because I'm working this weekend. When I got to work today I heard a couple of people discussing the obituaries. It turns out that one of our pages died yesterday. She simply collapsed in the circulation back room. Sadly, it's not really shocking, honestly. She was extremely unhealthy; over 400 pounds, blood glucose over 500, and apparently she collapsed on Monday but refused to go to the hospital.

I didn't talk to her much (she was a part timer in another department) but when I did see her she was always smiling and friendly. I'm sorry to hear she's gone.

Someone got me a copy of CIV III.

I played it a lot over this past month.

Then last week I turned it on, and turned it back off almost at once.

I can't even change the name of the ruler. Even CIV I let me change the name of the ruler and the civilization. I can't seem to customize this bastard at all.

Everything from CIV II - Gold Edition has been downhill.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

Side A of HST's Science Data Formatter has failed. This happened Saturday. There is a side B, but transitioning over to it is about a 2-week process. The B-side has not been turned on since ground tests, at least 17 years ago. All science work with HST is suspended at this time.

HST Service Mission 4, which was to have flown on October 14, is suspended while they see if the spacecraft will resume regular operations with the redundant data formatter B-side.

I was on yahoo.com today and they had the most annoying ad, it kept listing new shows for one of the stations, but the ad would expand to cover the text I was reading. The one bright side of this, underneath the ad was a link which said, 'rate this ad.' So I gave them my feedback. Hopefully others will do likewise and end the irritating and overanimated ads plagueing the interweb.

Lemming on Tour:

Sep 19-20, Backroads of Nevada & Oregon

Sep 21 Bend, Or

Sep 22-26 Breitenbush, OR

Sep 26 Oregon Coast

Sep 27 Tonopoh, NV

Sep 28 Kanab

Sep 29-30 Las Vegas

Oct 3-5 Salt Lake City

Oct 10-13 Los Angeles

Oct 18-20 Las Vegas

Oct 24-28 Las Vegas

Oct 30-

Nov 3 San Diego

Nov 4-12 Oregon

Nov 14-17 Phoenix

I think I'm going to result in a gas shortage. :ugly::doi:

I killed me a black widder yesterday (the eight-legged, poisonous kind, not the sexy female soviet super-spy kind). She was huge -- biggest widow I've ever seen. She was hiding in a corner of my garage; had build a giant web there. I searched the area around there for eggs, but didn't see any (although I did find the carcass of another spider, so I'm guessing she mated).

I don't normally kill spiders in my house; usually I just leave them be, sometimes I shoo them outside. But I make an exception for black widows (a) my wife hates 'em and freaks out, and (B) they do have a toxic and painful bite. I kinda didn't want to kill this one, because she had several dead yellowjackets caught in her web and I hates me some yellowjackets. But I didn't want a garage full of widows this winter.

An observation by an Australian friend:

Alright so the Chinese call their spaceguys Taikonauts and the Americans label theirs Astronauts. Russia has the coolest name for them, Cosmonauts. Can you imagine what they'd call Australian spacefarers? That's right, they'd be called Bruce. Anything else would just make it too complicated.

Today, a friend asked my advice.

I can't tell the story without compromising confidences, but I'm posting the advice I gave, mainly because I know it will be ignored, and that makes me sad and angry.

When an adult involves themselves with violent gangs, you can't save them. Maybe they can get themselves out; you can't do it for them. Maybe you can help your kid, and you're going to try; maybe you might be able to help a blood relative. An adult who isn't a blood relative? Stay away.

Before he went to bed, Josh mentioned something about bringing my medication upstairs. The computer locked up on me, so, while I waited, I went in to ask him where he'd put it.

He was snoring, but he'd said he was having a hard time falling asleep. So I lifted his makeshift blindfold, and inquired after the medication.

"I did a medication circle," he replied.

"What?" I asked, thinking I hadn't heard him correctly.

"I did a medication circle," he said again, this time annunciating each word carefully.

:rofl: