A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Injuries

Want to know what put me in the hospital recently and left me (for a few hours) unable to stand?

It started with a STUBBED TOE. When I stubbed my great toe, it broke the nail and cut the skin and let an infection in, which was not even visible - at least, I didn't notice it - for several days. I'm on a 10 day antibiotic regimen now.

Hopefully that will RECover my BODy to normal.

Yes, I managed to inflict an Impairing wound on my own Location 18 by doing a Move Through at maybe 3" on the furniture. And still taking the occasional 1d6 STUN if I stand or walk.

Lucius Alexander

Sometimes, the palindromedary is afraid to be around Lucius.....

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Long story short, the incompetence of this organization has thoroughly killed any chance i had at a good mood. Again. I'm getting sick of this.

If I get another job and it ends up making me miserable like this again, I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Computers. . .

Locked in a bunker with a toaster, fourteen thousand rounds of 9mm ammunition, and .38 snub nose pistol. You'll never get me alive! System Fault, the rest of your system is unaffected. Please press # and try again later. Deposit twenty-five cents for the next two minutes. Having lost the ability to communicate with himself the modern primate turns to social engineering sites. Millions of colors isn't what it used to be. I have seen the future and it is a plushie.

I'm working on the desk when a new applicant, Summer, comes in for her four o'clock interview. She's a little early so I go back to tell the manager. I pop in the office and say "Summer's here."

...but i resisted the mighty urge to say "And the time is right for dancing in the street."

Now I wish I had given in :D

/Rant on!

So, there I am catching an episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. In the opening sequence to Hassidic teens run across a dead body on Shabbat morning and have a four or five line debate about whether or not its permitted to call the police. They finally decide the matter is life and death and make the call. Its not life and death, the guy is already dead, but if it had been alive [even mortally wounded and unsavable] they would have been absolutely correct. I give the writers credit for trying. We could simply conclude the boys were in error about the halacha in this case.

Here is the problem: why were these boys carrying their mobile phones on Shabbat to start with? The phones are muktzeh - a class of items not handled on shabbat because using it entails a normally forbidden labor. Orthodox Jews of any stripe, let alone Hassidic Jews, dont walk around with mobile phones / pagers on Shabbat unless they are medical or police personnel. These kids would never be running around with them on Shabbat. And this completely ignores issues of carrying in the public domain on the Sabbath.

I would add, the depiction of Orthodox Jews in the Law and Order franchize as a whole sucks major wind. Its not just the details, which I can ignore for the most part. But, I had no idea we were either 1) big hypocrite sinners, or 2) unmasculine ineffectual near-sighted bookworms. SVU is the biggest repeat offender on these latter depictions, though the flagship Law and Order has done it on occasion as well. Criminal Intent genuinely tries not to do this. For them its just a detail problem.

How fricken hard is it to ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about?

/Rant off

Dates listed on products are not when they go bad, they are when the company selling them stops assuming responsibility in case it all goes horribly wrong.

Soy Milk, for instance, is good for several months, I'd peg it at 6.

Use By Dates annoy the heck out of me, especially when they're on things like soda. . .

Ordered a La Cie 1 TB drive from Amazon. Drive arrived yesterday.

That was the miracle.

The "box" that the drive was "in" was essentially a flattened cardboard tube about four times the volume of the box the drive is packaged in. The cardboard ends were tucked in, but no tape, adhesive, glue or any other fixative was used to seal the box at all. Yup. That is right. They shipped valuable electronics in an UNSEALED BOX.

Good news: Amazon has a page for providing feedback on packaging. Bad News: while you can submit photos, you cannot submit any descriptive text.

We shall see if anything happens.

Doc

I will be nice, corteous, go out of my way to help in many cases.

But chances are I don't like you. I am not your friend. I'm just someone trying to help, make it a better place, make things a bit easier.

But I am not your friend. I'm just some guy.