A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

There are few things more torturous at work than needing to hold it in while configuring a laptop, where the initials of the end-user are frequently used in the settings, and for his initials to be "i.p."

Sunday Morning 0730: Computer locks up. Not even the decency to give an error. Just stops responding.

0805: Finally get computer to reboot after dozens of tries.

0820: Computer gives Kernel Panic.

0822: Give up, go back to bed.

1200: Standing in Apple store, buying new computer. Have discovered that I actually hate Apple Store employees, and I almost killed a man with my new computer who said "Dude, you're gonna love your new Mac" (the image of beating a smug little Apple Fan with an iMac in an Apple Store is way way too amusing for my own good.)

Who says that? WHO SAYS THAT! Has anyone ever walked up and said "Dude, you're gonna love your new Dell" ... no, they have not. You will never hear that.

I am no longer part of the Apple Crowd, I will never have "Apple Cool" ... and really, I feel pretty darn good with that. It's not an experience, it's a computer.

1245: Standing in art store with wife, find shelf of Lucha Libre Thumb Wrestling Masks. All is well with the world again.

1500: Set up new iMac, realize that 24" widescreen is wide. Spend rest of day installing stuff.

It is extremely exasperating to try and browse the Hero Forums during lunch while at work. Every time someone posts what might be a cool link I click it only to get the forbidden warning from our server. Then by the time I get home I can't remember where the threads are that I wanted to revisit.

I am amazed that I can visit the Hero website at all with the amount of stuff they filter out. I guess Hero is considered completely non-controversial and totally wholesome. :thumbup:

As texting becomes normal practice in the business world from blackberry, et. al...

I'm starting to see a serious upswing of the following signature line in my work emails:

"Please excuse the brevity of this message, for this was sent by wireless Blackberry."

Had a very eventful Saturday.

Wife decided that she was going stir crazy after being home since her surgery on Tuesday last. So she called a friend with an SUV and announced that we were going to the Sheep and Wool Festival. She had her tailbone removed, so she can still stand and walk. What she can't do is sit or lie on her back. Hence the SUV. We folded down the back seats and built her a small bed in the back of the vehicle. She crawled in the back hatch and we went off to the festival.

Spent something like four hours looking at fiber art products, tools, and source material. And other sheep obsessive products. Finally got back into the vehicle and headed home. None of us felt like cooking, so we called in an order to Carrabas, and decided that we'd swing by to pick up the take out order before heading home.

Nope.

Got rear-ended on 118 trying to get over to the restaurant. Nobody was hurt, but the vehicles showed signs of the impact. But Kee was lying down in the back. She was shocked and scared, so that meant an ambulance trip to the hospital to make sure everything was OK.

Three hours later, the Physician's assistant who didn't understand why we came in in the first place let us go. Our friend picked us up, as despite the impact his vehicle was still drivable. He took us home.

And gave us dinner. He had picked it up after he got done with the police. He knew we weren't going to get out of the hospital soon, so he grabbed our order.

It was a very full Saturday.

Doc

Darwin is located in one of the most lightning prone areas in the world. In 2002

a single thunderstorm produced 1,634 lightning strikes in Darwin in just a few

hours, which is the same amount that Perth, Western Australia, experiences in an

entire year.

Sigh...

My sister lost her baby. Almost died during the surgery. I heard there were "complications" but I didn't know the half of it. I'm glad she called and I'm probably glad I didn't know all the details as they were happening as it would have been unbearable.

She's ok now, relatively speaking. And her husband Joe has been awesome. It's tough when they're halfway around the world.

So, I'm sitting at the table and my six year old cocks her head and in all earnestness says to me:

"You know, Abba: In New York City's war on crime the worst criminal offenders are pursued by the detectives of the Major Case Squad..."

Way too much Law& Order Criminal Intent...