A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I call on the United States to make a full and phased withdrawal to the pre-1776 borders. The dream of a home of the free and land of the brave cannot be fulfilled through occupation. Not the occupation of the native american man, mexican man, french man, spanish man, or hawaiian man. Let alone the Filipino man, Peurto Rican man, Guam Man, Samoan man, or assorted other men. I see the only solution as being six states for six peoples in the formal fifty and a withdrawal from the territories. Other difficult questions, like the resettlement of hundreds of millions of Americans, the status of Washington DC, and the status of British refugees living in commonwealth nations will sort themselves out given time. I say this because the deep, strong bonds of friendship between our two nations require me to "speak the truth."

If I were to write the words "This is a car" on a sheet of paper, would the sheet of paper become a car?

No, of course not.

What if I were to write "This is a car" a hundred times?

Still no?

What if I were to write it in BIG RED LETTERS, over and over again?

No, obviously not. No matter how many times I say it is, a sheet of paper is not a car. Nobody over the age of three would ever believe me if I handed them a sheet of paper and said, "Here, this is a car." They'd laugh at my little joke, at best, or they'd assume I was crazy.

But... Strangely, this same simple trick actually works on a great many (possibly even most) people, at least some of the time. You can simply say something that obviously isn't true, and if you say it with enough conviction or repeat it over and over, people will believe you!

For instance, you can tell people that you are a Christian, and if you repeat it over and over again, they'll believe you no matter what you do. You can cheat on your wife, you can steal, you can hire a homosexual prostitute, you can break every commandment. You don't even have to know a thing about the Bible. How many pastors get caught practicing the most terrible, un-Christian things you can imagine, and yet still preach to full pews on Sunday?

Or a politician can tell people that they're a fiscal conservative, and yet don't do anything even remotely fiscally responsible. Day in and day out, you can spend money on pet projects, sponsor lavish government giveaways to favored industries, never meet an appropriations bill you don't like, but when you go home to your constituents you can tell them that you're "cleaning up Washington" and they'll believe you if you just say it sincerely enough.

I just don't get people, sometimes. :no:

A friend was helping me do laundry at the laundromat. She was snacking on carob beans, of all things, and had left them on a sorting table by somebody's detergent. So when a load was dry and she asked were to put it, I said "Pile it on the carob beans, by the stranger's Tide."

Lucius Alexander

At which point she threatened to feed me to a palindromedary

So my uncle is dying. This is the second uncle (different branch of the family tree) that is dying this year. He's nearly 70, and when my father killed someone in a car accident Dave went into attack mode to defend him from himself (hired a lawyer, convinced him to plea bargain). Of the 5 boys, he's the only one who stayed married to his first wife. And for all the pent up anger I hold for that side of my family (rightly so or no) I am really kind of shocked and upset.

I'm kind of rambling now...to be a tad cryptic...

The weird thing is that what I have just learned has me fearing that someone else close to me has been lying to me now for a while and I'm not really sure what the implications of this will be. It could be a coincidence and I know my imagination runs away with me - but I have a strange feeling of dread/excitement twinging my sadness. Tonight's going to be weird.

so yeah. I can't really do anything and that side of my family is notoriously secretive about bad things, no one really knows what's going on. I stay out of the loop by choice usually. But I had to email my cousins to send them my condolences and I'm sending something to my uncle tonight.

My predecessor at Israel National Radio did some very annoying things. He specifically recruited hosts with their own non-profits to do shows in order to build alliances for his own non-profit. As a result, we frequently have competing agendas and fundraising efforts with our own radio hosts. Also, his notion of building a radio schedule was "more is better" as opposed to making sure things were branded. As a result, our lineup is... wonky. On top of it, he just let the hosts do whatever they wanted without discussing format, tone, and what we want out of the show. As a result, the radio has descended into rank Athenian democracy. In truth, it might as well be minimalist libertarianism or open anarchy. This, with a linup of volunteers who think, even though they don't actually work for the organization, that everything is done by committee. I've been given the green light to "totally tear it down and rebuild it, if need be." The result: I am now in the middle of reviewing our schedule and lineup with "who lives and who dies" being the bottom line. I've locked in five core hosts who have agreed to ride it out. But aside from them... mass firings may be necessary. The next few weeks are going to be... unpleasant.

Sometimes I'm forcibly reminded just how recently mankind has developed in certain areas. We didn't start keeping detailed records of tornado fatalities until the 1950s? Really? Doppler radar for weather wasn't invented until then either? Weather satellites not until 1960? I think of things like this, and all the basic unanswered questions we have in physics, and I realize just how much further we have to go before we can even begin to understand our universe.

(Note to Astronomers, Math Professors, Scientists, and Engineers: This is a musing I thew together and not somthing I spent the time tracking down the precise measurements for. :))

The Moon is (roughly) 384,000 km away from the Earth. The speed of light is (roughly) 300,000 KPS. The Moon orbits at (roughly) 1.02 KPS.

We see The Moon where it was a little over a second ago.

There are laser reflectors on The Moon, left there by Apollo astronauts. It takes the laser a little over a second to get to The Moon (and the same to get back).

The people who measure the Earth-Moon distance via laser have to lead their target by over two seconds of apparent motion, or a little over 2 km. :nonp:

Earth-Moon.png

There was a big long bullsnake just outside the office this afternoon, and a magpie was just whalin' on it. Flying around, squawking, attacking it. The snake was just all curled up against a wall trying to keep away from the bird. I have no idea why the magpie was going to town on the snake (apart from magpies are just mean in general). Maybe the snake tried to go after the bird's nest?