A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Roger Federer lost his match to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the Wimbledon quarterfinals. Surprisingly, he was up two sets and only needed to win one more.

I can't help feeling somewhat responsible. I sent out some good vibes to Tsonga so he could win a set and make the game more exciting. How was I suppose to know he'd run with it and win the entire match?

Peeve time.

Using 'gender' in the place of 'sex' annoys me. Gender is a range of characteristics distinguishing between male and female, not the biological sex of a person. It used to be rare to see 'gender' used for anything other than grammatical categories. Over the past decades it has expanded to represents the indicia of a sex, the role of a sex, and even the identity associated with a sex, but it is not and never will be the sex of the person. Meanings change over time, but gender cannot be used universally to represent male and female. Oddly, my other peeve, is gamers who regularly refer to women as 'females.' We have other words for women. Like women. If you are not a law enforcement officer, medical professional, or filling out a form requiring the sex of the person referring to women as 'females' is one of the indicia of being a socially maladjusted geek.

Ok so I love (LOVE) slightly overcooked pretzels. And the best chance to get some are in bags of pretzel sticks where two or more sticks are cooked together. Crunchy divine goodness.

This is the best bag of pretzel sticks I've had in a year. Omnomnomnom.

A Man Who Loved Flowers and Music

Henry Resner was born in 1919 a scion of a family of florists and he shared his father's passion for flowers. He majored in horticulture and hoped one day to earn enough selling flowers to take flying lessons.

He got his flying lessons in a way he would probably never have wanted. In WWII he became a bomber pilot and flew against the Japanese in the Aleutian Islands. Finding a silver lining even in a cloud as dark and foreboding as a world war, by convincing the military to let him live his dream of becoming a pilot, seems typical of his approach to life's hardships.

That same optimistic approach was evident when he and his wife Helen realized they would never concieve a child. Rather than seeing failure or tragedy, Henry Resner saw the opportunity to adopt and care for a child needing a loving home.

His family had specialized in chrysanthemums but Henry went into business for himself with snapdragons. I do not know, but I suspect he may have chosen snapdragons because his wife enjoyed them; in any case he seems to have thoroughly enjoyed one of the perks of owning his own geenhouses (five of them before he was done,) the ability to bring fresh flowers to his wife on a regular basis. According to his son he brought flowers home to Helen at least once a week. He was the biggest snapdragon grower in Indiana.

Losing his wife to cancer after 29 years must have been unimaginably painful; and it was at this time that he sold off his business. But the world had more in store for him and he had more in himself to give, and another passion to live out. His life that had been full of flowers now filled with music.

He studied the organ, and became an expert not only at playing them but at maintaining and repairing them. He helped restore Indiana's largest theatre organ, the three-manual, 26-rank Wurlitzer belonging to Manual High School, at no cost to the school.

One might say a man who has had nearly 30 years of happy marriage is already blessed, but Henry Resner was twice blessed; he found love again, and he and his second wife, Hazel, rejoiced in one another's company just as long as he had been with his first wife, Helen - 29 years. He is described as a capable, well organized man; I would say he seems to have known what he was doing in everything that mattered.

Henry Resner lived to the age of 92, long enough to see his first great grandchild.

I should read the obituaries more often.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I should apply for a job WRITING the obituaries.

I kinda feel like I just reached some intangible personal goal.

I spent the day building a Nautilus style Golden Submarine in Minecraft

Complete with working airlocks, pressure hatches, gun-decks, airship landing pad, impellers, and running lights.

Not to mention, of course, the very posh captains cabin.

And the docking platform, with the powered rail system running in a glass tunnel beneath the sea floor.

Had to do SOMEthing with all those spare resources I had lying around, and now I'm one step closer to achieving my Skullcrusher Mountain dreams...

Arriving on the Strip on Saturday night is an excellent way to encounter drunken hoochies. And I always thought people never actually did the cheap Vegas wedding, but then I saw two such couples here in the space of half an hour. I'm not sure the wedding thing is entirely separate from the drunken hoochie thing.

I'm Sad. Today I went up the "home hill" for the very last time. For the last time I stood in my childhood bedroom, looked at the bathtub my Mother bathed me in, used the bathrooms in my old home. I looked at the familiar wall paper. I looked at the stickers from the 70s that still stick to the mirror in my Brother's room. I stood in my Parent's bedroom where I went when I was small and scared. My Parent's house is what I think of as home. On 7/20 they move out into a Condo. I also helped them move some stuff over today. It is a beautiful Condo and I think they'll be happy there.

I'm still sad though. Today I said goodbye to my childhood home.

One thing leads to another...

my Golden Submarine build led to a revelation today. A lightbulb went off over my head as I realized the implications of the proofs I created for the submarine.

I can now build a push button automated battle arena, with the ability to summon monsters and/or victims and force them to fight

Buhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! *eg*

I don't know which is worse--check-in times, or check-out times. I thought the former was bad, getting off the plane with no place to lie down or shower or leave your bags until housekeeping gets around to cleaning a room for you. But now, kicked out of the room with three hours of sleep, and with six hours to kill before I even start the process of heading to the airport, the latter feels pretty damn icky. What do you think?