A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I'm getting better at evicting jerks from my head I think. The stink still lingers in the rug of the place somewhat.On the flip side, some of them seem to be providing me a veritable condo even if that wasn't my intent. *chuckle*

You are someone else's supervillain.

For Chad and others in the Willamette Valley,

The Northwest section of the American Physical Society is meeting in Corvallis next week. For the most part you don't care, but a week from tomorrow evening (so, on Thursday Oct 20) there'll be a free public talk by Mario Livio about scientific achievements of Hubble Space Telescope. (link) I haven't seen him give this particular talk, but he does give a good talk, and as head of public outreach for Space Telescope he has more resources for it than anyone else.

I hate it when I screw up in a public way.

OTOH, when said screw-up turns out to be a win whose subtlety is not immediately obvious (thereby doubling the winnitude), I am both relieved and anxious; relief because I am spared the public humiliation of the screw-up, but anxious because I fear that I just incurred a very large increment to my karmic debt.

Last Saturday my sister brought her boys and my mother over. They stayed the night with us. My brother and his wife and son came over after dinner and were there for two - three hours.

I realized that it could well end up being the last time we all were together: mom, all three of her kids, and all her grandchildren (who range in ages from 4 to 19). It hasn't happened too often in the last decade; though my brother and I make visits over to her place once or twice a year, they are never coordinated. I think the previous time we'd all been together was my sister's wedding, about 7 years ago. Mom herself had a set of strokes (all more or less in the same attack) about a year ago. She's 75, and while she could be alive for quite a while, the opposite seems more likely. She has no obvious, immediately threatening conditions, but at 75 it doesn't take much. She certainly has recently talked about things I don't recall her talking about ever before, which suggests to me that she realizes that she doesn't have a lot of time left and had some things she wants someone in the family to hear about. Dad succumbed to lung cancer in 2002, a very aggressive tumor, and he went from being as OK as he ever was to dead in less than a month.

I am pretty sure her affairs are as in order as they can be, considering they've been desperately poor since the 1980s. When you got nothin', you got nothin' to pass on (or more to the point, to have passed on in a way you didn't want), and I don't think any of her kids or grandkids expects anything when she dies. I'm not going to badger her about that.

It's just strange to be confronted with vivid, in-real-time recognition of last times with as great a lead time as this one may work out to be.

A few weeks ago, a friend and I were discussing The Picture of Dorian Gray. This is one of my favorite books, and I've always been very disappointed by film adaptations. They miss the point entirely.

For those not familiar, Dorian Gray is a supremely handsome and virtuous looking young man. He obtains a portrait of himself and has his off-hand wish granted that he could stay young and beautiful forever and the painting should age instead.

The painting not only ages, it takes on all of Gray's undesirable qualities. When Gray sees that the painting begins to sneer evilly, he grows bold and immoral. By the end, he becomes a monster of a man, yet always appears young, beautiful, and innocent.

In the movies, he gains an evil leer himself, but that defeats the purpose. He has to remain innocent looking. No sideways evil glances, no villainous laughter, no undesirable physical attributes or quirks. Additionally, in book he is a cherubic blonde. Every movie gives him dark hair.

So, we were trying to find the right actor to play Gray if we were casting the film. I was having a difficult time (young Brad Pitt was best I could do) when Angie came up with it: Ryan Gosling. He's handsome, blonde, and completely incapable of looking intimidating. Going by the Drive commercials, he couldn't look tough if he tried. He can retain that innocent look that is so desperately needed.

And a last note, on the movie for LXG: when I heard that Dorian was added to the character list, I was very excited. Taking his blessing/curse to that absurd yet logical extreme sounded fun. They really, really screwed it up at the end, though. Even worse than making him dark haired and evil looking (though handsome, I'll give him that), they destroyed the relationship between Dorian and the picture.

In LXG (Spoiler warning) Dorian dies when he is shown the picture. No no no no NO! That's so wrong it hurts! One of the main points of the novel is that he loves to look at the picture. He thrives on creating this monstrous visage by pushing himself further and further. Simply seeing the painting wouldn't (couldn't!) destroy him. Hell, in the beginning it is implied that he had it on display in his personal gallery. How does that make any sense? Ugh. Of course, that movie was so disappointing, I really shouldn't act surprised.

If you have a fast modem, click here for a blowup of the East Fork works (503 KB) . For maximum field of view, enlarge your window to full screen. If you are using Netscape, you might want to use the OPTIONS menu to deselect SHOW TOOLBAR, SHOW DIRECTORY BUTTONS, and/or SHOW LOCATION. If you deselect the TOOLBAR, you can still return to this screen by selecting GO/BACK.

Internet archaeology about archaeology.

(From http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/efw.html)