A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Posting mainly for Log-Man -- the NGDs residential librarian -- For The Love Of Libraries

This passage i found interesting:

The UCLA Library, where [Ray] Bradbury himself, in 1953, hunkered down with a cloth bag full of dimes, fed the meter on a pay typewriter, and penned Fahrenheit 451 in nine days of supernova inspiration. And what a perfect book to create in a library! Fahrenheit 451 poetically illustrates what happens to a society that stops reading!

ditto this:

As Bradbury has often opined, after his family moved to California in the 1930s, he was educated in the Los Angeles Public Library system. His formal education stopped at high school—he couldn’t afford to go to college—but he new a good free university when he saw it, and, at the age of 18, in 1938, he began frequenting libraries two or three nights a week to learn and grow. After a decade, upon the occasion of his marriage to Marguerite McClure in September 1947, he figured he was done. He had graduated from the public library at age 27.

and this is just funny:

But as author Neil Gaiman famously said, “Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.”

To librarians and the public library system!!! :cheers:

And in other news, Dennis Neilsen, the so called Black Panther has died in prison. He robbed several post offices killing three sub post masters. He also kidnapped the heiress Lesley Whittle for ransom and killed her. He was sentenced to life in 1976. A review of his sentence recommended he stay in prison until he died.

The Modified (and much longer) Underpants Gnomes Plan

Step 1: Accidentally pull the root cord out of the monitor's power supply while putting a new tablecloth on the kitchen table.

Step 2: Get confused by the snarl into thinking that something more serious was going on.

Step 3: Drag the huge old graphics-quality CRT that I docked to my laptop out of the den in order to blah-blah-blah, what the cord was loose all along? Problem fixed.

Step 4. Hunh. Apparently, the laptop has a screen, too. Drag CRT further, specifically, to PC Galore for recycling.

Step 5. Ooh! Shiny almost-new LCD monitor with webcam, stereo speakers and a built-in deep fryer.

Step 6: Heck, it's only money. And the economy needs stimulatin'! Uhmm... deep fryer.

Step 7: Plug in shiny new monitor.

Step 8: Oops. Could use a shorter HDMI cable.

Step 9: Oops some more. Apparently my laptop thinks that the speakers in the monitor are working. But they're not, because they need to be hooked up and I don't have speaker cable.

Step 10: London Drugs isn't that far away.

Step 11: Profit! For somebody...

The junior resident cat, Spike a/k/a Fluff Butt, has been ill, so far an upper respiratory virus. He is given to sneezing fits. And I mean fits. If he were an assault rifle loaded with sneezes, he never shoots off anything but the whole clip. Yesterday morning he was sitting on the table next to me as I was doing my morning surf and having my tea and muffin. Then he fired off a full-magazine volley of sneezes, and like all full autofire discharges, there was considerable scatter. You can imagine what the monitor screen looked like. Fortunately, I had already finished my muffin. But I just dumped my tea, put the mug in the dishwasher, and made a fresh mug.

I was supposed to work 3:30--12 tonight. Low stress shift (for Christmas week, anyway), but late, late, late for a morning person like me.

Now, suddenly, I have a paid day off. And by working a three day week next week and a five day one the week after, I will replenish my accumulated time off bank back up over 40 hours! I love being "full time." I can do all these crazy things that I haven't done since I was last unemployed. Like fall asleep watching TV!

Say, is that Who Wants to be a Millionaire show still on?

Corporate paranoia about drugs has gotten too far.

This week at the office, there was random drug testing and apparently one of the guys told us that they don't even let you take your own cup to piss in anymore. Rather than trust that you'll wash your hands first to ensure a clean sample, they expect a nurse to BE IN THE ROOM with you when you urinate and collect the sample directly.

We were talking about how this would work if they made us come in.

"Wow, I didn't know this was a full-service operation now."

"I'm sorry but I'm getting old and my grip isn't steady anymore. Nurse, could you hold this for me?" :eg:

JG

Been reading the tweets of @MaryHChrist, @JosephHChrist and @JackHChrist. Politically incorrect, hilariously funny like Monty Python's Life of Brian.

If you want to read, best to start at the beginning where MaryHChrist & JosephHChrist are tweeting their way to Bethlehem, and the birth of Jack.