A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Up at father-in-law's place yesterday, and between cribbage games I'm channel-surfing on their cable TV (which I am too cheap to get for myself). Their system freezes the on-screen image as it changes channels, which gave us lots of goofy pictures of people to hang off-the-wall captions on. Not that different from the Lolcatz meme, but participatory. I suspect that trying to do real screen captures and caption implants and hanging the results on the web would violate both fair-use and libel statutes, though, and probably would attract lots of lawsuits from soulless moneygrubbers. For example, the fat black TVangelist we ripped unmercifully.

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I watched one of the students in my mechanics class in the help room get told how to do a problem by another physics faculty member. At the end of the explanation, the student said, "I have no idea how you just got that." I felt both anxious and relieved. Annoyed, because it is my class in which she's failed to learn that stuff; relieved, because the other instructor went through the same free-body-diagram-and-force-equations song and dance as I would have and she still didn't get it. So my colleague, in this instance, has the same response ... and effectiveness ... to the student problems as I have. Cold comfort, perhaps, but you take what you can get.