A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Many years ago, the company introduced software for executing a daily Out of Stock Report for the stores. The programme title in our handhelds calls it the "2PM Manager's Out of Stock" report. The store manager would walk around the store in the middle of the afternoon and compile a handy report of missing items. To make sure it was done, the company added a corporate audit process. It was kind of like the white glove inspections we used to have, back in the day when we used to have time to clean. Once we got the paradigm, it even became the basis for other audits. Now we have people in looking at our compliance with merchandising directives and shrink control paperwork and "culture of safety paperwork every day, it seems. The only advantage to that is that no-one comes around looking for dirt anymore. (I know, a clean grocery store. They actually used to exist, you know.)

The audit was important to ensure compliance, because the Out of Stock report was such a useful managing tool. It could even be used to generate an automatic augmentation of the nightly grocery order. Everything on the OOS that wasn't ordered would be added to the order. Which was fine, unless there was a stocking issue. But there shouldn't be, because the manager would see the hole, know that there was stock, and fill it!

Yeah. Because managers do that. Well, some do. But contemplate the fact that stores have tens of thousands of listings, and you see real life starting to get in the way. Get in the way, mind you, in a way that leads to out-of-control inventory growth. (Though not as badly as corporate-imposed store schematics, but that's an other story.)

It gets in the way in other ways, too. By now, roughly ten years later, the job has long since rolled downhill to the (sometimes teenaged) late night manager. Who does a halfass job, unless we get word on the grapevine that the corporate auditor is on the town, in which case we rush to fill the holes, or face over them, or take tickets off, or whatever it is that has to be done to manage the OOS count down to target. Notice how the law of unintended consequences comes into play here. The night manager is not only overwhelmed, the expectation that he can manage the audit down means an additional source of stress for them, because it's another thing to look forward to being yelled at about by the Management Trainee or acting deputy assistant manager. And, yes, I'm speaking from personal experience on that one, and, no, being yelled at by a freak who ended up taking a cashier position to save his job did not make me feel like I was receiving honest and useful constructive criticism. But I personalise too much. It's a big company. Injustice was done to someone out there, if not me.

Move forward to today's hypercompetitive market, with the company floundering with flat sales and disappointing store returns for reasons that it can't comprehend.* Doesn't all this pointless out of stock scanning, of out stock scanning auditing and out of stock scanning audit managing sound like a counterproductive expenditure of time and money? Of course it does. So the company got rid of the OOS report this week. And, to save money, it cut the total management hours budget by an hour a day.

Will the store manager take a cut in pay to pay for this? In your dreams: not after the "defined benefits to defined contributions" switch in the pension plan of a few years back. Take the plunge and cut their salaries, or benefits, or bonusses, and they'll just spend a little less time in the stores. So where does the hour cut fall? On the night manager who actually did the work.

Hell, McFly? You didn't add the time needed to use the OOS report properly in the first place. That's why it turned out to be a big, useless drain. Taking away the time that people weren't spending doing the reports in the first place just ensures that other things won't be done. And if there's a person that you can't afford to alienate, I'm just going to throw it out there that it's the guy who runs the store, all alone, for the last five hours of the night.

*Hello, take two. Pull out your old copies of the Canada Census. Read down the columns to "Births in Canada" for the mid-1990s. Notice how the birth rate dropped off the cliff in 1993? Notice how there were almost 70,000 fewer births in that year than in a "regular" year before or after? That's your impulse-buying teenagers of today. Also, your junior-most employees, whom you will need when the current crop of kids hits their teenaged years and starts spending again.

Hello? Hello? Is anyone paying attention? No, of course not. What can we do about it? A corporate audit, maybe?

Watching the closing ceremony of the Olympics and the season finale of Doctor Who today reminded me that this year is a year of endings for me. Friends leave, and I lose contact with them. A beloved pet dies, hopefully the only death I have to deal with this year. It's the last week of summer session, although I won't miss that too much. Lots of things coming to an end. I know new beginnings come with those, but those seem a bit distant right now. Maybe I'll feel differently in the morning.

OK, so I've been working out and watching what I eat since January. In the first 3 months or so, I lost nearly 20 pounds. That's good. Now, I seem to have gained much of that weight back.

But, my gut's not big and bulgy like it was, and I'm able to lift a lot more weight than I was when I started, so I'm thinking (hoping) that the weight I've gained is primarily muscle.

How's a bunneh tell if he's losing fat but gaining muscle (without buying a bunch of fancy equipment)?

OK, so I've been working out and watching what I eat since January. In the first 3 months or so, I lost nearly 20 pounds. That's good. Now, I seem to have gained much of that weight back.

But, my gut's not big and bulgy like it was, and I'm able to lift a lot more weight than I was when I started, so I'm thinking (hoping) that the weight I've gained is primarily muscle.

How's a bunneh tell if he's losing fat but gaining muscle (without buying a bunch of fancy equipment)?

Keep in mind that muscle is denser than fat so at least some of your weight gain may be due to increased muscle mass. That's a good thing, because pound-for-pound, muscles consume more calories just resting than fat cells. This will help keep the fat off unless you relapse at a buffet.

There are scales which can measure the percentage of bodyfat via an extremely weak (insensible to most) current sent through the soles of your feet. I've seen them at Target and Wal-Mart. Surely one of your local stores has one. If not, there's always the internet.

Links to a page full of similar products: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=body+fat+scales&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=162853537&ref=pd_sl_65awgqfv45_b

My brother found and gave me the complete collection of Mr. Terrific on dvd. I am not sure I dare watch it, since I have seen the show at all since 1967, and as an 11-year-old I didn't think it was all that great then, but it was better than what was on the other networks in that time slot ... hardly a ringing endorsement.

Unless the baby is also a ninja

From official Neil Gaiman tumblr

Another Important Question of the Day Answered

Mr. Gaiman, I am having a very hard time deciding between two books, both from Barnes and noble’s classics collection. One is your own, “American Gods”, and the other is the collection of Ernest Hemingway. Seeing as, to the best of my knowledge, only one of you two fine gentlemen is currently able to answer this question, to settle my dispute I will ask you. Which of you two would win in a bout of fisticuffs?

zkaysol

If the bout of fisticuffs were to be held now, I would win, because I am alive.

If it were to be held while Mr Hemingway and I were both alive, he would win, because I was only nine months old when he died, and a nine month old baby, no matter how well trained in the manly arts, will always be beaten by a full-sized, 61 year old author.

Unless the baby is also a ninja, obviously.