A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

When your action movie

1. is supposed to be in an imaginary country but the soldiers are wearing World War II German uniforms;

2. one of their officers is played by Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa;

3. Dolph Lundgren is in the movie in any capacity;

you clearly have no budget.

JG

Someone started a thread "Is there a 'Shelf Life' for Humans?"

I've been wanting to say "depends on how they're prepared and packaged. In Egypt they've proven that dried and well-wrapped they can keep indefinitely..." but I don't want to derail a serious discussion.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says you don't have a life worth living until you get down off the shelf

What Do Swedes Think of the Swedish Chef?

The Swedish Chef does not speak any known language, and the fact that his nonsense words are so widely interpreted as Swedish-sounding is bewildering and annoying to Swedes.

“What has always struck me is that the Chef is probably based on a Norwegian sing-songish accent rather than a Swedish one,” Maaret Koskinen, a film studies professor at Stockholm University, wrote in an email when I asked her about the Swedish Chef’s cultural influence in Sweden.

Swedish and Norwegian share a common linguistic antecedent, and Swedes and Norwegians easily understand each other’s languages. The accents are quite different, however, and there are words that are exclusive to each dialect. The tongues are dissimilar enough for Swedes to be able to hear Norwegian in the Swedish Chef’s ramblings instead of Swedish.

“I think it sounds much more Norwegian,” Cecilia Browning, the general manager of Washington D.C.’s House of Sweden (the home of the Swedish Embassy), told me when I asked her about the accent.

It turns out that these impressions are supported by academic research. According to Stockholm University linguistics professor Tomas Riad, the Swedish Chef’s accent could as easily be from Oslo as from Stockholm.

Riad, one of 18 members of the prestigious Swedish Academy, which determines who wins the Nobel Prize in literature, wrote an article in the Swedish language magazine Spraktidningen titled "Börk Börk Börk. Ehula Hule de Chokolad Muus.” (The title comes from the Chef’s trademark untranslatable gibberish and means nothing in Swedish.)

While Swedes obviously don’t understand a single word spoken by the Swedish Chef, Riad writes, the Chef makes them think of Norwegian because of the way his tone rises and falls.

EskHUnde HUNDe geMUNDe HURR

Walked to the Tube Station to get a paper and got a fright. On top of a bin is a large, realistic looking, coiled, plastic snake. And it got me again on the way back.

Anyone know why GI Joe Retribution got pushed back to March next year ? I was looking forward to it.

About a week back coming down to the shops there is a woman walking her dog and she comes up against a couple walking their pugs. Now the pugs don't take kindly to the other dog and woof at him and try to advance on him even though they are constrained by leads. This is despite the fact that they are at most one quarter the size of the other dog. Who by the way blithley ignores them.

I became a fan of tennis a few years ago. Lately, I've been watching the America's Cup preliminary yacht races. While I don't often watch equestrian, I caught a bit of it during the Olympics and enjoyed it. Let's face it, I like "snooty" sports. All I need to do now is develop an interest in polo, and the cycle will be complete.

with two hours left to go, the Narosia kickstarter finally met its goal.

Fantasy gaming in the Hero system has a future again.

I don't know when I've been so exhilarated so early in the I/0! morning.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says when I'm this exhilarated this early, there's usually either women or Gods involved. Or I've just been up all night and there's a beautiful sunrise.

In what is going to be a massive yawner for most USers, FIFA is investigating the awarding of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

It is widely believed that calling entire World Cup bidding process "crooked as a dog's hind leg" is an insult to dogs; a more politically correct (that is, they aren't complaining) version is "crooked as a fecal coliform's flagellum".