A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I saw the most magnificent vintage Volkswagen Beetle parked on the street the other day. It was a Fifties-era model, complete with running boards. All white spotless paint with mirror-bright grill and hubcaps, a convertible with black vinyl top and a protective black vinyl covering over the hood. It also had a custom license plate that said, "Bo's Bug." Bo clearly loves his Bug. :D

6. This course helps students understand relevant cultural dimensions of the global challenges being studied and' date=' when appropriate, helps students develop awareness and skills in cross-cultural engagement. [/quote']

Rather than recoiling from this patent absurdity, my mind recalls an hour spent with classmates back in the first year of grad school, putting together a satire of a general qualifying exam in astronomy. One question we created was: "Discuss the influence of high-resolution stellar spectroscopy upon the political developments in the German Weimar Republic (1919-1930)."

(Another was: "Consider a galaxy consisting entirely of degenerate dwarfs, and a few secretaries. Estimate the frequency of three-body encounters, and describe a few of the more interesting cases. Estimate pumping frequencies, excitation modes, and the possibilities for higher-order interactions.")

What would it be like to be a different person altogether? Even if I somehow had my consciousness placed in someone else's body and lived that person's life, I'd know the life I'm living is false, since I wouldn't really be that person. I've been pondering this question ever since I was a boy, and I've never found a satisfactory answer.

From Agora film, about Hypatia and the end of the Classicsl Era in Alexandria and the destruction of its fabled library.

Heladius Dignitary: The majority of us here... have accepted Christ. Why not the rest of you? It's only a matter of time and you know it. Hypatia: Really? It is just a matter of time?... As far as I am aware, your God has not yet proved himself to be more just or more merciful than his predecessors. Is it really just a matter of time before I accept your faith?

Heladius Dignitary: Why should this assembly accept the council of someone who admittedly believes in absolutely nothing?

Hypatia: I believe in philosophy.

A friend of mine (Theoretical math grad student... crazy smart geek girl) just had eye surgery to correct a congential defect that messed with her eyes ability to aim together.

So, in her mid twenties, at the full height of her rational adulthood, she is suddenly getting to experience the third dimension visually for the first time.

Reading her blogs arises echos of authors like Lovecraft struggling to describe the sudden wonder at perceiving a previously unperceived dimension.

They just wrote it, and she's living it.

Blows my mind, it does. I keep thinking of artists she should revisit with her new perspective.