A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

OddHat is not happy. His Mom brought a gallon tub of vanilla Haagen Dazs over on Thanksgiving and left it here. In the past three days, OddHat has ingested almost all of it and is miserable that he has repeatedly gone off his nutrition plan. So, being the good Wife I am, I snuck down to the freezer, pulled what is left out, doused it in Palmolive and threw it in the trash. OddHat went to bed more than two hours ago. In the morning it will be a soapy puddle.

I LOVE MY HUSBAND AND DO NOT WISH HIM TO BE UNHAPPY AND SICK.

Even if he huffs and puffs a little, I think he will be glad the temptation is gone.

OddHat is not happy. His Mom brought a gallon tub of vanilla Haagen Dazs over on Thanksgiving and left it here. In the past three days, OddHat has ingested almost all of it and is miserable that he has repeatedly gone off his nutrition plan. So, being the good Wife I am, I snuck down to the freezer, pulled what is left out, doused it in Palmolive and threw it in the trash. OddHat went to bed more than two hours ago. In the morning it will be a soapy puddle.

I LOVE MY HUSBAND AND DO NOT WISH HIM TO BE UNHAPPY AND SICK.

Even if he huffs and puffs a little, I think he will be glad the temptation is gone.

I love astrophysics. Where else would you encounter the phrase, "post-impact silicate atmosphere" in reference to conditions on Earth (albeit right after the impact that caused the formation of the Moon)? Silica has a boiling point over 4000 degrees Fahrenheit, so that means ... seriously unpleasant conditions.

I picked up a game for my android Phone called "Plague Inc." In it you create a disease and try to wipe out humanity.

I called my last virus "Walmart". ( I started the game there while waiting for scrips)

Am I a bad person for giggling when I won and the game said "Walmart has wiped out humanity."

Dear Santa: This year I would like a stocking full of coal and sticks. Please do not give me any toys, as they will just make me sad and remorseful of all the bad things I did this year.

(Pretty sure that will work).

When I was about 16 or so, I got up before sunup, packed a little bit of food, a jug of water, a knife, some matches, my walking stick, a light jacket, and maybe a few other items, and left the house.

We lived in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, literally halfway up one of the hills (known locally as the Hogbacks). I hiked up to the top of the mountain, and headed south along the ridge. There were no man-made trails, just a few scattered game runs here and there. It was quiet and secluded, even though I could see the city of Denver and its suburbs off to the east, I felt all alone. I felt like I was discovering lost territory. I hiked for most of the day until I reached the end of the hill, then climbed down to a little stream. I watched a herd of deer, led by a massive buck, negotiating the overgrown terrain to reach the rill and drink. I don't think they knew I was there, or if they did they just didn't care. I felt like I could've joined them at the water and they would've accepted me as one of their own.

I climbed back up to the ridge and, as the sun was going down, I found a sheltered spot under a large overhanging rock. I built a little rock wall around the exposed side to provide some shelter from the wind, then made a small fire to keep warm. I slept there overnight, on the dirt floor, waking with every little sound, stirring up the fire and then dozing back off, fitfully.

The next morning, as the sun came up, I hiked back home, hungry and a little bit dehydrated. I do not think my family missed me. I don't think they even noticed I was gone.