Old Man

A Thread for Random Musings

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I wish I believed the world really will end this month. Then I'd quit my job and tell a lot of people off. Of course, I'd be out of luck when it doesn't, but I'd have some motivation to step out of my comfort zone.

Wake UP!!!

You can't remember when it was---

Has this dream stopped?

The snake was pale gold, glazed and shrunken

We were afraid to touch it

The sheets were hot, dead prisons

And she was beside me...

Oh...

she's not...

young...

Her dark red hair!

Her white, soft skin!!

now...

RUN TO THE MIRROR IN THE BATHROOM LOOK!!!

She's coming in here!

I can't live through each slow century of her moving!

As my skin slides down, the cool, smooth tile...

Feel the good, cold, stinging blood...

The slow...

HISSING...

SNAKES---

OF RAIN!!!

Odd email that our department got, and my department chair spammed to the physics majors...

To:

Subject: Basketball Operations Internship (data, computers)

Hi Professor

My name is , and I'm the Manager of Basketball Analytics for the .

We're looking for a basketball operations intern who has some computer training (ASP.NET and SQL background), and also an understanding of statistics (and of course an interest in basketball).

The internship is unpaid, and to qualify, the intern must be able to get course credit.

Would you be able to spread the word on the physics mailing list, and share it with anyone else you think might be interested?

Any questions, please let me know: .

It strikes me that there's several things wrong with that email, but I've never heard of this particular pitch before. Very odd.

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

_____

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks I maya got that right

I've never felt comfortable or welcome in church. It's been a long time since I even saw the interior of a church. Yesterday, at my uncle's funeral, was the first time in years. It's funny, because my parents were so dilligent about making us go to church every Sunday. We went to Sunday School. We even celebrated a large number of the Catholic Feast Days that most folks have never even heard about, much less knew you were supposed to go to church on. We ate no meat on Fridays. I went to a Jesuit high school. All of my family from my parents' and grandparents' generations are deeply devoted to the church. I've got several older relatives who are priests, or nuns, and almost all of the patriarchs of the family are lay deacons. But me, as soon as I had the choice, I stopped going to church. Heck, when I was old enough to drive, I'd tell my parents "I'm going to the late mass," then I'd drive myself down to the mall or to the park for an hour.

I'm often amazed at how lax the family of my generation is when it comes to religion. Our highly-religious parents managed to raise a generation of don't-really-care-much-ists.

I have heard childbirth described as one of the most terrible pains a person can endure. It is also, even in this modern age, still dangerous.

Yet women often submit to this agony voluntarily. It seems unusual in fact for a woman to NOT want to undergo it. Sometimes the reaction to a woman who opts out of it is "what's 'wrong' with her?" Many women choose to go through it multiple times. Also amazing is that men who love their wives and would ordinarily be very protective of them not only consent to this but sometimes encourage it and want it.

I've lived on this planet for nearly fifty years, and still can 't understand these people.

Lucius Alexander

Not that I really understand palindromedaries either