A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Wikipedia's "Today's Featured Article":

Dudley Clarke (1899–1974) was an officer in the British Army, known as a pioneer of military deception operations during the Second World War. His ideas for combining fictional orders of battle, visual deception and double agents helped define Allied deception strategy during the war. Clarke trained with the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War, and then led a varied career doing intelligence work in the Middle East. In 1936 he was posted to Palestine, where he helped organise the British response to the 1936 Arab uprising. Early in the Second World War, Clarke proposed, and helped implement, an idea for commando raids into France. In 1940, he was placed in charge of strategic deception in Cairo, and was called to London in 1941 as his deception work had come to the attention of Allied high command. Throughout 1942 Clarke implemented Operation Cascade, an order of battle deception which added many fictional units to the Allied formations; by the end of the war the enemy accepted most of the formations as real. From 1942 to 1945, Clarke continued to organise deception in North Africa and southern Europe. He retired in 1947 and lived the rest of his life in relative obscurity.

Well, that would figure.

I get jovial sometimes. Its hard to quantify.

My wife snapped her fingers and said: "King Julien XIII."

Me: "What?"

Wife: "Your happy energy - you're channeling King Julien XIII."

Me: "Who?"

Wife: "The Lemur King from Madagascar."

Me: "The conceited, fun-loving one who relies on charisma and delegation rather than ability and talent?!"

Wife: "The very one, honey."

Me: "My happy energy is conceit?"

Wife: "Let's just call it 'bigger than life,' shall we, snuggle-bunny?"

Sadly, she nailed me. When I have my jovial outbursts, which is more often these days, I am King Julien XIII.

Facepalm!

"Sometime Around Midnight" by The Airborne Toxic Event.

If the song doesn't elicit from you a visceral, hair-on-the-back-of-your-neck reaction, I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for you, or congratulate you on your successful love life...

I'm glad I have a daughter. I don't know anything about how to raise a boy. I don't know anything about boys, really, about what they do, what they are like, anything. I never was a boy. I actively avoided most other boys as I was growing up. I was never interested in sports or other "boy" activities. If I had a boy who wanted to do those things, I wouldn't have the first idea how, or what, or why. And I, in all honestly, don't know if I'd be able to encourage him in those things or not. I suspect I'd be a terrible father for a boy.

For want of a nail, the horseshoe was lost.

For want of a horseshoe, the horse was lost...

You all know this one. We heard it in school. It even appeared in some of the comic books I read. Kids nowadays, at least the ones I've asked, haven't even heard of it. Not sure what to make of it.

Martin Luther King Jr is currently the opposite of Hitler for promoting your position. "If he were alive today, Reverend King would support [bLANK]." versus "You know who else had [bLANK]? Hitler!".