A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Dear Job Applicants,

You'll save us both a lot of trouble if you actually read the job description before applying.

• The position is part-time, not full-time.
  • The position is in Gainesville, not Boca Raton.
  • The position is library assistant, not dental assistant.

For those of you left, the ones that actually intend to apply for the posted job, here are a few tips:

• The job is primarily word processing, data entry, cataloging. Attention to detail is a must. Spell my name correctly or you don't make it out of the first round.
  • One misspelling might be a typo. Five misspellings in the "objective" section of your resume isn't a typo.
  • Your resume should be the most important self-made document you have. If you clearly don't care about it, I can't trust you to care on the work that I have.
  • The cover letter is not nearly as optional as you think.

Take a little care. Check grammar. Check spelling. Read the job description. (I haven't even made it to the qualifications yet!) I really don't think I'm asking too much.

Best regards,

The Guy who is Hiring for the First Time in his Life, but Still has some Standards

I thought that when I grew up I'd be Judd Nelson or John Cusack. Instead I'm Judge Reinhold. What the hell happened?

Could be worse. You could be Judd Nelson.

Why do supermarkets make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front?

Why do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke?

Why do banks leave vault doors open and then chain the pens to the counters?

Why do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in our driveways and put our useless junk in the garage?

EVER WONDER...

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Why don't you ever see the headline 'Psychic Wins Lottery'?

Why is 'abbreviated' such a long word?

Why is it that doctors and attorneys call what they do 'practice'?

Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavoring, and dish washing liquid made with real lemons?

Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker?

Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?

Why do they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I miss working in my old job (and I knew I would miss it) is the surrounding area itself. There's a lot of stuff within a few blocks: banks, restaurants, barber shops, bars. There isn't as much stuff in my new area. Several shops, and a few restaurants, but no banks or barbershops. No bars, either. Another thing is the surrounding neighborhood. The new office is close to a residential neighborhood, like the old place is. The neighborhood here is nice, with pleasant-looking houses. But the homes in San Francisco have more character. They come in a variety of styles, different from the almost cookie-cutter styles I see in the new area. A lot less trees and parks as well. One of the places was a water fountain where I could sit and relax for a bit. I called it my happy spot. I miss that one most of all.

Edit: I found a video of the area I'm talking about.

My happy spot is shown from 1:24 to 1:29. The last few seconds of the clip show the street where I used to work.

Screams of outrage!!

I'm supposed to use "make" in anger for the first time in about 15 years, and I come to find out MacOS 10.6.8 doesn't come with a C compiler installed by default!?!?

Way to get yourselves compared to MerdoSoft, guys.

Screams of outrage!!

I'm supposed to use "make" in anger for the first time in about 15 years, and I come to find out MacOS 10.6.8 doesn't come with a C compiler installed by default!?!?

Way to get yourselves compared to MerdoSoft, guys.

So I need to install Xcode (which is large, but free).

But first I need to update to the new version of the OS, which is NOT free!

And it's a 4.4 GB download.

Doing the update seems not to have broken anything important, though. That I can figure out at this point, anyway.

Despite the fact that one of the Greeks shot one of the kids dead, we got Aeneas out of Troy and safe; then my balloon got shot down by Customs and Excise while I tried to get Beaujolais Nouveau into the country. Lastly those pesky skeletons managed to get to the Fleece but failed to kill any Argonauts despite my awful run of cards as an Argonaut/