A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Yeah, it sucks when a character you've played for years gets killed by a random dice roll, but it happens. The other day I dusted off my old MERP characters and played them for old times' sake. This was meant to be a one-shot deal, and not part of the characters' official history. I even brought back a dead character, a dwarf warrior (later retconned to be his brother). So whatever happened didn't count.

In the game, my main character, a half-elf bard, was killed in the final battle. Again, this wasn't considered "canon" so no harm, no foul. But it seemed like a good way to officially end the campaign, which just died suddenly years ago. So I decided to make it official, hence the retconning of the dwarf character.

It seemed like the right thing to do.

So there's a sign up in our floral shop that says that we are temporarily out of helium, so we can't fill balloons.

The truth is that helium is expensive, and we cannot justify the expense. The floral manager, obviously, makes a profit selling balloons, but when the manager isn't there, which is well over half our operating hours, whoever the half-trained person is who fills the balloon vents half the helium. In short, we are too short-staffed to be bothered selling helium balloons.

When people get leprosy or diabetes, the first signs tend to be the periphery. Your toes drop off before your brain, in other words. When society gets leprosy, does it start with helium balloons? The problem with the conceit is that society doesn't get diseases. All we need to do to address this "leprosy" is to repeat what got us to this point, and the problem is that that was WWII.

So. Anyone for WWIII?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few months ago, I watched a new opera, The Gospel of Mary Magdalene. Before heading off to the opera house, I dined at a restaurant named Absinthe. I did have a glass of that liquor with dinner.

Maybe it was the drink or the heat of the opera house, but I had the strangest hallucinations during the first act. Notably, my peripheral vision kept interpreting the arch at the far wall as a large shadow person standing beside me.

I hate to think what my hallucinations would have been if I had been watching Mephistopheles.