A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Today someone informed me that gender-politics and the sex wars would be solved by post-biological bodies. This was embedded in a bunch of ten dollar words that did not convey a coherent point despite their utter earnestness. My favorite shock-and-awe term, was "discursive." That aside, I told them that they should raise the point again when they moved into a post-biological body. My own point eluded them, not that anything *they* has said was sensible to begin with. Talking like a thesaurus is not a prophylactic for being a vacuous nut-job, braying ass, or falling afoul of ad absurdum. Its all well and good to suggest the human condition will be solved by ceasing to be human. True enough. But so freaking what? Is that on the horizon then? If not, it has no bearing on our real world experience, practical outcomes, or the issues we face down here on planet Earth.

I wonder what happened to the employees of Syndrome on his volcanic island after his untimely demise. Hundreds of people, judging by the size and scope of the operation. Would they just go home? Home where? Would they take over? There's a lot of valuable intellectual property on the island and no official corporate filings. They could be a union run island in no time.

Today I heard that a friend from high school died. He married another friend from high school. (She was a year ahead of me, he a year behind.) They got together years after I graduated and left, and they were the most unlikely couple I could think of. She was incredibly nice, quiet, and sweet, he was a wild, precious arteeste and pothead. But he was good people inside. Today he died of something alcohol related, no details beyond that given. Only two people from our little circle have died that I know of. The first was her little brother just a couple years ago. I can't imagine what she's going through right now. I haven't spoken to either of them in many years and I'm devastated.

Goodbye, J. My very best to you, A, I wish I could help somehow.

I might have witnessed someone evading the law. On my way to the health club where I have internet access I see a motorbike with an L plate (for learner) mount the pavement and travel down it before going back onto the road. Shortly after it disappears three cop cars come down the road travelling in the same direction sirens and lights going.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I drove a Lamborghini Huracan, among other expensive vehicles, at an event put on by the local exotic car dealer. They set out cones in the stadium parking lot to delineate a short track, and foolishly allowed a certain subset of the proletariat to operate the vehicles, which ranged in value from USD$80k - $280k.

The Lamborghini was surprisingly easy to drive; I suspect I really wasn't pushing it that hard (for a Lambo). There were several occasions when I was certain the tires were going to break loose... but they didn't. The expert driver in the passenger seat seemed happy enough with my driving acumen and was giving pointers as to what line to take, as opposed to the kind of advice he was giving the other drivers.

Also driven were the Maserati Ghibli, which was obscenely luxurious and quite powerful, and the Audi TT, which handled very well but had an annoying transmission. Perhaps most surprising was the Audi S7, which performed extremely well for a heavy sedan.

Incredibly these people would also allow commoners to drive their own vehicles on the track, and after much badgering from youngest boy, I took my little teg out for a few laps. It was a little silly with a back seat full of child seats, toys, magazines, and little boys sloshing around, but she handled surprisingly well on the turns. Of course she had less than a third of the horsepower of the other cars so she couldn't compete in that department, but I was more than happy with our showing given that her blue book is 1% of the Lambo's.

Kids also got to ride in the vehicles that actually had back seats, so it was a very enjoyable afternoon overall.