A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Eldest Boy has been thoroughly infected with the Pokemon virus, and we finally broke down and got him a 3DS for his birthday.  He has always been obsessed with whatever his current interests are, and this is no exception.  We try to control his 3DS usage, and we hate to be those parents, but sometimes it is just easier to let him bring the damn machine with him when we go out, especially if things are likely to get boring.  So now we are those parents, and he is that kid, hooked into Pokemon Alpha Sapphire in public.

And now he is a chick.  Magnet.

The waitress at the restaurant.  The college girl at the library.  The young lady at the supermarket.  "Oh, is that Alpha Sapphire?"  "Wow, you have Gyarados?"  "How did you get so many megastones?"  These pretty young women are falling all over themselves to find out more about the Pokemon exploits of Eldest Boy.  The girl at the driving event not only tried to strike up a conversation, she whipped out her own 3DS to link up and trade Pokemons with him.

And Eldest Boy... could not care less.

"So, who was that?"

Shrug.

"Did you get her name?"

Headshake.

"What Pokemons does she like?"

Shrug.

"Did you trade her any?"

"Couple."

"Kid... we gotta work on your game."

I don't mind a bit of snarkiness, I'm guilty of it myself often enough and in this forum most people are pretty good natured about it. But lately I've noticed a trend of people saying something "clever" and when someone asks for clarification because your oh-so-clever comment was vague, to respond with more jokes/snark, and often condescendingly, without ever answering the question/clarifying their original point.

That isn't conducive to having a conversation or even to making a joke. Language is used to communicate, if you aren't capable of making an understandable point at least don't mock the people trying to figure out what the hell you are trying to say.

I know the line between snark and jackassery can be pretty thin, but some people just seem to dive across it and act like anyone that doesn't get the "joke" is stupid. It gets old.

• 2 weeks later...

Survey question:

"What would help you most in addressing problems of correctness (sentence-level errors) in your teaching of writing?"

My response:

"In my opinion, these are concerns for "Grammar Nazis", and I am not a Grammar Nazi."

21st Century Signs of the Apocalypse, # 419:  A contractor is on time for a meeting with an ongoing client.

21st Century Signs of the Apocalypse, # 420:  A contractor actually completes the work he was contracted to do by his originally estimated delivery date, even in the absence of any change orders to the project.

You are not clever.

You are not edgy.

Your opinions are no more golden than those you pick fights with

You're not interested in discussion, just yelling at the top of your internet lungs the same things over and over. 

You're as unique as everyone else. 

- The commenter daily affirmation. 

CONCEPT:

In the new Feng Shui 2 campaign that's starting up ...

... have the fortune cookies in Yip Chen's restaurant be an actual oracle. Ambiguous and unreliable, but an actual oracle. Then print out the fortunes and cut proper-size paper slips. Insert to into actual fortune cookies.